Importing MTGGoldfish to MTGStudio

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Importing MTGGoldfish to MTGStudio

Postby TheFlymo » Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 am

Greetings all! I've recently got back into MTG, am a casual player and collector, and have around 11,000 cards- roughly half from pre-1997 and the rest from the last few blocks.

I use MTGGoldfish as a collection manager, and intend to carry on doing so as it's great for most stuff and I have a nice workflow going from the TCGPlayer scanning app into MTGGoldfish as I acquire more cards. Also MTG Studio doesn't seem to recognise the different between different card art styles, which is something I can do in MTGGoldfish.

Where MTGGoldfish falls down slightly is in deckbuilding, browsing and brewing and simple stuff like search, which isn't full text (i.e. you search your collection for "Rat", and it only returns cards that begin with "Rat" rather than containing "Rat"). So I'd really like to like MTGStudio and use it for the deck creation aspect, but I need to get my collection into it with an effective and repeatable process. Has anyone managed to do it?

It seems that none of the import options directly support the MTGGoldfish export csv format, and manually editing is going to be a huge task, made more difficult by the fact that MTG Studio crashed frequently if the import doesn't work. If there's a path of least resistance, even if it's via another app, I'd love to know it.

Many thanks in advance for any help!
TheFlymo
Apprentice

Re: Importing MTGGoldfish to MTGStudio

Postby CptDobey » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:43 am

Hello,

Build a small collection in MTG:Studio with whatever you want.
Export it to CSV format and open it (either Excel or Notepad). Doing this, you will see what MTG: Studio is expecting in a CSC format file.
You will be able to tailor the exported MTG Goldfish file to match the Mtg Studio expectations (I hope ;) )

Try this with twenty cards, not your whole collection as a "proof of concept" ;)
CptDobey

Return to Questions on Features