Need help on Import from Excel

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Need help on Import from Excel

Postby fogeltje » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi,

I am considering buying a licence for MTG Studio. I am currently keeping track of my collection in Essential Magic. However this has never allowed me to record certain cards like Duel Decks or the Invasion of Ixalan cards (the reprints) while MTG seems to support this. In order to have a full overview of my collection I download my collection from Essential Magic as CSV after each update. I keep a separate tab with the same columns to keep my own record of cards not in Essential Magic so that I have a total count of my cards.

I have downloaded the free trial version and tried the Excel import from Essential Magic. It doesn't fully work. All cards from Dominaria, Ixalan, Master 25, Oath of the Gatewatch, Magic 2013, Conspiracy: Take the Crown, Timespiral Timeshifted, Fate Reforged, Commander 2013 and Commander 2014 Edition are NOT imported. As far as I can tell from the message log, these are the only problematic sets. However I get nearly 600 fails so maybe I missed a set (of some sets I only have one or two cards). I don't want to add these cards by hand. I really do want to switch since Essential Magic seems basically dead (Core 2019 is not added yet and I hate have to keep the separate tab anyway). Also when I download the CSV I first must do some manual rework as the CSV is comma separate and some cards have a comma in their name. I need to fix those entries which is annoying.

I also noticed that in some cases the wrong card was added in MTG. I only noticed this by chance that the Aesthir Glider from Alliances has the wrong version added even though in Essential Magic the correct version of this card is in my collection. I haven't checked for other cards yet, but I fear there might be more, especially lands (yes, I'm that kind of person who wants to keep track per specific land card how many I have).

Once I have bought I licence I was wondering if I can get some support on Import Excel for the following:
- Get a fix so that I can upload my FULL collection in Essential Magic? I suppose I just need another value in the Cardset column?
- Can I get support for my "custom" tab to have this imported? It uses the same columns. I can convert the tab to the CSV format if that's required, I just hope there aren't too many names with a comma (it would help if I could chose another delimiter, like ; )
- Is there a known issue for adding the incorrect version of cards of the same name that has multiple version in the same set (common up until Alliances)? If not I just have to manually check everywhere where this applies. I'll be a one time chore but if I can avoid this, that has my preference. Maybe the glider is the only one after all.
- In Europe and US (I assume I have the Europe version) in 1996 there was an introduction duel deck introduced (can't recall the exact product name). These cards have a 4th Edition layout with the only exception being a 1996 in the bottom instead of 1995. Can these cards be tracked in MTG? I didn't seem to see it. I keep track of those in my separate tab also. If this "set" is not supported, it is not a dealbreak. I'll just add them as 4th Edition if there's a note functionality, I'll use that to satisfy my needs.
fogeltje
Apprentice

Re: Need help on Import from Excel

Postby gaddlord » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:15 pm

Can you please send me your import file to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com?

I will try to troubleshoot and create a fix if needed.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby fogeltje » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks for the swift response. Send the e-mail. Hope you received it.
fogeltje
Apprentice

Postby fogeltje » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Did you receive my e-mail reply? I replied a few days after the message you posted I think. Please note it did not come from the e-mail address I used to register on the forums but the one I used for the purchase of the licence.
fogeltje
Apprentice

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)