Multiplayer with DirectX

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see in MTG Studio while creating and editing my deck...

Moderator: gaddlord

Multiplayer with DirectX

Postby gaddlord » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:51 pm

Currently I am investigating the possibilities to make a MWS Play-analog multiplayer using DirectX technology.

Here is the teaser:

GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby digzor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:10 pm

I like the larger card sizes! One thing that I do get frustrated at with MWS Play is the itty-bitty card sizes.
Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
digzor

multiplayer and more

Postby kurkpeterman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:54 pm

From what I've seen in the preview screen shots, version 2.0 looks awesome. Multiplayer would be fantastic and I know a few more people that would instantly pay for your software if you added that feature. Keep up the good work!
kurkpeterman
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby gaddlord » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:05 pm

For the multiplayer I am currently investigating SIlverlight too, since it is the most close to what I would like to do:

1. Cross-platform Runs on Windows, MAC and Linux
2. Executes in Browser (so updates will be instant)
3. Small program size
4. 100% secure (since Silverlight works in a security sandbox)
5. Offer high 2D rendering capabilities.
6. The interface can be more stylish

Not to disappoint you but still I am investigating multiplayer development alternative. So far I have evaluated:

Server - Client
1. php + dynamic html
2. java TCP server + Flex
3. C# web service + client java script
4. C# TCP server + Flex
5. C# web service + Flex
6. Delphi local server + GDI client
7. C# local server + GDI+ client
8. C# local server + DirectX XNA client
9. C# web service + Silverlight

It is more a technology question but sometimes the good technology choice dictates the success of a product. And to be honest I am really having fun with the technologies and try to find the easies, most stable, good looking, cheap, easy to support and update solution - quite an impossible goal.

Till now the C# server + Sliverlight client seems most promising. I am almost ready with the chat module. (Have in mind that having the chat ready means that all other commands such as Tap cards can be just copy/paste)
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:07 pm

If someone is interested in a Apprentice, MWS Play cloning which can be accessed from a web browser please let me know which commands you miss in Apprentice and MWS.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Silverlight

Postby kurkpeterman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:03 pm

Silverlight seems interesting and could make for some slick interface design. I just stumbled onto the technology a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to develop anything using it. I'm eager to see what implementation you choose and would volunteer to beta test :)

I'm not sure if you've been looking at the Shadowmoor previews, but I think the block is going to be awesome. They have a dual land that's this:

Tap: add 1 mana
U/B,Tap: add UU, UB, or BB mana

That's like too good!
kurkpeterman
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby gaddlord » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:58 pm

I am also investigating Silverlight 2.0 which has some really astonishing features.

Here is a sample chat and card on board screenshot.

I really think cross-platform browser-based multiplayer can be the best way to make a MTG multiplayer.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

nice!

Postby kurkpeterman » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:34 am

The interface is looking great! I think your approach of web-based is right on because it alleviates the need to code anything platform specific.
kurkpeterman
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby gaddlord » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:08 am

I have uploaded a public alpha preview of the browser UI.

Visit http://tiptop.mtgstudio.com and login with whatever username you wish.

The uploaded demo shows:
1. Cards with different card color
2. Tapped cards
3. Flipped cards
4. Chat
5. Login modal form
6. Context menus (double-click) over the left-most, top-most card
7. Selecting a card click over the left-most, top-most card
8. Mana Production Symbols right to the card name
9. Card Power/Toughness and current damage

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Chaosknight » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:19 am

the interface is coming along great Gadlord, the positioning the chat area and logged in users are good. The card tapping/untap is great, I like the way you incorporated the current damage along with the P/T of the creature, for easy tracking and identifying. How are you planning to handle play area space?.

Are you going to start cards off large and have them auto scale down as more permanents enter the play area?. That would great if you did, also are permanents going to auto align themselves by type/area of the play field or will players be able to move them around, or will it be a combination of both?.

Also one last question, how far away are you from starting with the rules checking system? Now that you have let us see a preview of the UI, basically all its missing is the RFG, GY, Mana Wheel, Avatar and Life counters. Anyway keep up the good work, everything seems to be coming along great so far. Cant wait till a public build is released.
Chaosknight
Apprentice

alpha

Postby kurkpeterman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:46 am

Just finished trying out the alpha, great stuff! Looks like things are coming along very nicely.
kurkpeterman
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby gaddlord » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:31 pm

How are you planning to handle play area space?.

The final version will have access to all zones (Grave, Hand, Lab, Phased Out, RFG, Ante, Sideboard, Deck, etc.)
I will also add avatars, poison counters, mana pool, turn and step icons, a large card preview to see details for the card currently being selected.

Are you going to start cards off large and have them auto scale down as more permanents enter the play area?

Since I try to keep everything rendered on the screen as vectors it would be no problem to support any kind of zooming. :wink:

Are permanents going to auto align themselves by type/area of the play field or will players be able to move them around, or will it be a combination of both?.

For the start (since it is easier) I will allow the user to drag-drop the cards on board. In the future I plan auto-alignment algorithms with several common board alignmets.

Also one last question, how far away are you from starting with the rules checking system?

I am quite aware of how to do it (I have a prototype for the "Judge on Table" play) It just requires an enormous amount of coding to cover even the recent sets. I plan first finishing the multiplayer without any rule checks and than start adding the most common ones (such as tap a land - produce mana), automatic mana burn, etc.

Now that you have let us see a preview of the UI, basically all its missing is the RFG, GY, Mana Wheel, Avatar and Life counters. Anyway keep up the good work, everything seems to be coming along great so far. Cant wait till a public build is released.

All of those will be available in the final version.

Here is a screenshot of a card zoomed 200%

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Deck Editing Suggestions (MTG Studio)