Prices Interface

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Prices Interface

Postby Schwanke » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:00 pm

Ok I am not 100% great at organizing my thoughts in a big project but I might be able to organize them enough that with some discussion we can flesh out what I really want lol.

For the pricing interface my ideal solution would be a 'magical' way to:

Have a 'base price' column list the results of an equation.

Have that equation summed at the bottom of the page based on the number of each card for each row times the price.

Have a 'calculated price' be the base price modified by an 'equation factor' where that factor is based on something from the condition field.

The factor would be user defined probably in a general/global window like giving each condition supported by the program a choice of +/- % or +/- Value etc.

Also have the calculated price summed at the bottom of the list same as the base price.

STILL have a SELL price which would be per card per condition and would be marked as choice by the user as either a modification of the base price or a modification of the calculated price either by +/- percent or +/- value or Fixed Price or Unassigned. This would also be calculated at the bottom of the list including multiple copies of the same card. Be nice to know what you could really sell your collection for if you got all the prices you wanted.

The 'magical' base price I would hope would be based on:

Exact edition. 4th/5th/M11 being sepperate etc.
Exact type Foil/Non-Foil.
I dont know how you would handle multiple prints of the same card like the different versions of lands with different art. The hardest part I think of this is the fact that the websites are not uniform. Some might list the different versions some might not.
Guessed condition with options to include different types.

For condition I would do a choice box combination something like:

Condition choices: Exact? All?
Include unknown?
Remove outliers? (I'm assuming you know an outlier is when a particular datapoint on a set is extremely 'out of whack'. Having 5 demon horns selling for between 30 and 50 cents all the same edition/condition and then having one sell for 2 dollars and 1 sell for a penny, the 2 dollars and the penny are outliers.) I dont know the true mathemeticians equations for determining outliers but it might have to be 'subjective' like if you wanted to go hard core on options allow the user to choose a percentage where if the possible outlier is too far away from the main grouping you mark it as not-included.

If you wanted to go psycho on options you could have a check box next to each of the possible included cards in the price list and then allow the user to check and uncheck the ones they wanted to include in the averaging calculation.

More options include something like: "scale for condition?" where if checked they use the same equations from the conditions multiplier and if a card is say fine then it uses the fine multiplier to 'reverse predict' the mint factor. This might be over kill or too many options or too flaky to be usefull I dont know.

Thats the best I can come up with. Thats kind of stream of consciousness/whats been bouncing around in my head since I saw your first rendition but I think I needed to see your first versoin to really see what I was looking for. Best code is written in conversations. :)

The real trick to making this work is having 'defaults' for everything that the user can set. Like goes through the window once and they can make it so that by defualt the options like all the factors or whether or not to include all conditions or unkonwns or whether to scale for condition, etc so that by and large for every card the user will just hit ok, but if the use wanted to say specialize a card or specialize a collection they could change the defaults one time and have it still be default for everything else.

So like for example you could have a button at the bottom of the prices config screen that says "Save as defaults." and then all the options are saved as the defaults and auto filled in.

The only thing I think that wouldnt be defaultable would be choosing individual cards to include in the calculation if you even wanted to include that as a feature obviosly because each card in the system is going to probably have different cards across different sellers.

Also with the outliers. What needs to be smart about that is knowing when to include everything and when to include all but one or all but two but also being smart enough to realize they are all all over the place and they should all be included with the idea that you cant win all the time.

Like for example I think now the smart average sometimes only includes one of the choices if there are two. Cuz I saw once or twice where there were only two cards that 'really fit' and it was the higher of the two. But it could have just been lucky math or something. :P

Best I can come up with 'off the top of my head'. thats a lot for me to organize lol. :P
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:19 am

Most of this makes perfect sense. I will read through this, make some notes and reply in a coupl of days.

If you are curious how Smart Average works you can read this topic http://mtgstudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Smart_Average
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:08 am

Read the smart average page. Gunna wait for your other comments before I reply too much. I think the smart average is fine as an equation if we can just figure out which inputs go into it.

Like in my post I would give the user the option to select which inputs like:

All match edition/name/art.
All match edition/name/art/choose condition(s).
All match edition/name/art/choose condition(s) + unknown.
Select by hand.

That way the most options are covered for particular tastes. Well designed interface has lots of options but lets the users find the ones they want even though that set might be different for each person. Too many options and not well grouped and it just gets painful. Too few options but too well grouped and you feel like it doesnt really do what you want and you might look somewhere else for something that does or try to hack it.

Like if the software didnt have a -%offset to change the prices by in the sell field I would be inclined to use studio to generate default value then export the whole thing to excel and calculate a -%offset. But then thats one more reason to try and find something that does that automatically.

I actually havnt gotten to the point yet of figuring out what types of output formats are available. Ive been mostly worrying about the pricing system but eventually I want to be able to post lists of cards to my listings for the multi-packs so stuff like tab delimited and whitespace will make formatting interesting or do I wanna go hard core and write some batch files that generate html files for my website and just link to them or whatever.

I used to be a dos batch guru and I can probably pick it up again fast so i am not worried about that. Heck if I thought it was usefull enough I would break out my CSV import code and just write a webpage that could take the csv output of studio and generate html from it then copy paste that into my listings.

One thing I know I wanna do is try and find a way to list links to studio files like maybe do them by decks or something so people can download the trial, download my decks, check them out then maybe get hooked on studio and stick with it. :)
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:33 am

Added your comments from another thread in order to keep it in one place.

I would really rather not have the price field removed but instead have it calculate the 'market value' of the card based on user rules.

Particularly this is because you may be someone who does business by buying low and selling high so for example you might take the price value and buy at 10% less and sell at 10% more in a given 30day listing on ebay just as an example.

I think its needed to be able to know the market value and what its worth to you to buy and sell seperately.

As another example it might be that the market value turns out to be X and you watch ebay for when the price drops below X-y% because ebay is wierd and sometimes things sell lower then market value. You then buy all at that value.

You then have the situation where you might see ebay selling cards at X+z% and so you would be quick to auction some cards off at X+z%

But this would only be easy to do if you knew what X was in the first place from all the stores that arent ebay.

I myself would use the price field to determine what the market seems to think the value is and then I would use the sell at field to make a listing of what I would sell cards at. I probably would not use the buy at field currently because I dont actually buy individual cards but I might in the future if I got to dealng with more high value cards or got better at determining which cards go in and out of value when.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Maybe this can be a good starting point to talk:

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)