Ability to use older cards.

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see in MTG Studio while creating and editing my deck...

Moderator: gaddlord

Ability to use older cards.

Postby sauraun » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:56 am

Would it be possible to show the older cards with the same name as the ones that are currently in standard. Such as Birds of Paradise from 4th as legal in standard. I own allot of older cards and this would make it much easier to build a standard format deck from.
It would be a cross reference by name from what is in current sets that are legal. I hope this would not be hard to implement.
sauraun

Postby dryan01uk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:05 pm

+1

Fantastic idea - even better if we could save custom filters of the POOL or COLLECTION

D
Call sign 'Senior' in my local playing group.
dryan01uk

Postby gaddlord » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Can you elaborate on this one.

Currently we support 4 types of legality

B - banned
R- restricted
L - legal
and I - invalid set which is used when the set is not supported in the Format any more.

So you with to have L and I both displayed as Legal?
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby sauraun » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:56 pm

Currently the standard sorting only supports the current sets. (such as Bird of Paradise from M10 and M11). What I am suggesting is that it would also allow the cards with the same name from older sets to be displayed as legal in standard (such as Birds of paradise from 4th, 5th, ...). The program currently does not recognize the older cards as legal even though they are.
I am thinking this would be nothing more than a name check with what is currently legal in a given format against card names from older sets.
sauraun

Postby sauraun » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:58 pm

Currently the standard sorting only supports the current sets. (such as Bird of Paradise from M10 and M11). What I am suggesting is that it would also allow the cards with the same name from older sets to be displayed as legal in standard (such as Birds of paradise from 4th, 5th, ...). The program currently does not recognize the older cards as legal even though they are.
I am thinking this would be nothing more than a name check with what is currently legal in a given format against card names from older sets.
sauraun

Postby Waylander » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:21 am

Agreed, but more then legality, cards should be able to inherit a number of properties from the newest release of that card:

Legality, of course. Please give us an option to apply the legality flags of the newest release of a card to older versions. As of 1.8.2.1, I believe this is already done automatically; that's alright by me.

Rarity. Please give us an option to apply the rarity of the newest release of a card to older versions. Thus, I could make my 8E Serra Angel count as an uncommon instead of a rare (since she is now an uncommon in M11). In this way, when I sort my physical cards according to lists generated by Studio, all of my Serra Angels end up in the same place (my uncommon bin).

Types. Please give us an option to apply the types and subtypes of the newest release of a card to older versions. Some creatures have revised creature sub-types in later sets (or when they were timeshifted). Ex: Black Knight was a knight but is now a human knight. When is filter for "human" creatures (for whatever reason), I want my old Black Knights to pop up.

Text. Please give us an option to apply the rules text of the newest release of a card to older versions.

Great program, the best! Once the new release comes out with improved pricing options, I'm making sure all of my friends buy their copy.
Waylander
Apprentice

Using older cards that have been reprinted for tournaments.

Postby yosaj » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:16 pm

I was just wondering if there has been anything done about using older cards that have been reprinted in newer sets for type 2. Say when you chose filter for type 2 it will show the current legal sets as well all cards reprinted that you all ready own. I know this is a bit of an repeat, but i see no responses for over 5 months. We would love to see this implemented.

Thanks again for an awesome program.
yosaj
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:07 pm

So, lets split the problems and then find what we can do about them:

1. Legality values
Legality currently in MTG Studio is presented by 4 values.

For each card and each format I keep a letter to represent the card-format legality:

L - legal
R - restricted
B - banned
I - illegal set (the set is not within the valid ones for the format).

It seems that cards that are marked as I can be either legal (if there is a reprint of the card in a valid for the format set) or illegal (if there is no newer reprint in a valid set).

Being this way I can think of supporting 5 legality states:

L - legal (card is from a legal set and not restricted or banned)
R - restricted
B - banned
I - card is from illegal set, no newer reprint from a legal for the format set
C - the card is from a illegal set, but has a reprinted Copy in a legal for the format set

Of course all those values are pre-calculated before each release since it requires lots of comultational power. Usually takes 10 hours on a Dual-Core 3Ghz CPU at 100%. It has been more than a day in the past but after some improvements got faster.
If I switch to a 5 levality values mode (L, R, B, I, C) the coputation can go up to 20 hours again.

We currently have 42 formats, 23 000+ cards, and 4 legality states.

But yet I believe it is worth since it is one time operation only.

If this is introduced one can easily spot that the card is from a non-valid set but is yet legal for tournaments since it is having a newer valid reprint.

Let me know if this is what you are wishing for.

2. Format filter in "Filter" dialog.
In Filter dialog there is Editions tab. From a dropdown you can select one or more sets to filter by.
As a handy addition I added also selection of formats which simply preselects for you the valid sets instead of having to rememeber is "SOK valid for extended".

This feature is somehow misunderstood (most likely because I designed it that way) as if you are sorting your card pool agains the format legality.
But this is not what it looks like. It is just a handy way for faster Editions selection.

I envision you really ask for "Filter by Format Legality" filter where once you say "Filter by Type I" only legal and restricted cards to stay in your filter result?
:?: Is this what you are asking for?

3. "Agreed, but more then legality, cards should be able to inherit a number of properties from the newest release of that card."

I can suggest whenever you see the card in the Rules Panel (the one below the Card Art) if the card rarity in the latest reprint is different from the one of the currently selected card to display the new rarity as well.

I currently do so for the Card Rules. Have you spotted that if the card rules have an updated Oracle version they are displayed with Olive (dark yellow) color.

:idea: I suggest comparing the currently selected card against the latest reprint and displaying the mismatching values in Rules Panel.

Will this solve your issues?
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Legality.

Postby yosaj » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:38 pm

Either option 1 or 2 would solve what I am looking for at least. I think option 2 is what i am really looking for though. Click on type 1 and not only does type 1 legal sets pop up but all of the prints from previous sets show as well.

option 3 sounds interesting, I just do not think I would use that function much. But others may love it.

Thanks again.
yosaj
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:16 pm

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Re: Ability to use older cards.

Postby Clansman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:01 am

Greetings all,

Sorry for bumping this topic. I am using the trial version atm and I like it. My question before buying is. If I would want to make a block constructed deck from my card pool. Will the filter be able to also include reprints from other sets? The example of the Birds of Paradise is a good one. I do not have many of them and certainly not of all sets.

Thanks in advance for an answer,

Clansman
Clansman

Return to Deck Editing Suggestions (MTG Studio)