1.6.3 - Strongly dislike the new My Documents structure

Report a MTG Studio bug you have spotted or ask for help

Moderator: gaddlord

1.6.3 - Strongly dislike the new My Documents structure

Postby Scytale » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:43 am

This is exceedingly annoying to have on a work machine. Please let us set it somewhere in the settings. If it is user profile settings then it should be under Application Data. Logically, only My Decks and My MTG Reports should be under My Documents.

Also consider that you have you have used "MTG Studio 1.6.3", normally just "MTG Studio" is sufficient and prevents problems with upgrades.
MTG studio version: 1.6.6.2461 + updated hfw
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:05 pm

This is exceedingly annoying to have on a work machine. Please let us set it somewhere in the settings. If it is user profile settings then it should be under Application Data. Logically, only My Decks and My MTG Reports should be under My Documents.

The choice of using the My Documents folder is due to the added Limited Windows Account support. In order MTG Studio to be able to write to those files they should be placed in either Application Data or My Documents folder.

I agree that some program settings can be moved to Application Data folder. Such as mtgstudio.filter, mtgstudio.menus, mtgstudio.conf, mtgstudio.printer and Logs folder.

The rest Card Art folder, My Decks, Reports, and mtgstudio.collection, Notes.txt should stay in My Documents since those are files that may really want to keep a copy of (if using Active Directory account).

Also consider that you have you have used "MTG Studio 1.6.3", normally just "MTG Studio" is sufficient and prevents problems with upgrades.

Actually the version number has been added to resolve problems with updates. If you wish to have multiple versions of MTG Studio on the same machine you should store your settings in different folders. Believe it or not I have over 30 different versions of MTG Studio installed and they all work in parallel and don't overlap their settings or card database files, etc.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Scytale » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:32 am

Both points make good logic.

Could I kindly ask for a setting so that more Advanced users can change the location? This can already be done with Decks and Card Art so it would make sense.
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:24 pm

Scytale wrote:Could I kindly ask for a setting so that more Advanced users can change the location?

Sounds reasonable to me. I have added you request as G707 to the backlog.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Scytale » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:01 am

Also, one thing that seems very annoying: having to redo the settings each time.

Classically there are two routes for any new version: (1) clean install or (2) upgrade.

Currently the software always does #1 meaning that it is up to the user to have to re-apply all their previous settings, base filters, import the collection etc.

I can understand this choice but please consider expanding the Import routine to reload previous settings. Not High priority but it would certainly make life easier.
Scytale

Postby Scytale » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Please could I ask being able to set the folder location of the user configure files to come soon.

It is a nightmare having to copy the '\My Documents\MTG Studio 1.6.6' folder out and back again. I have lost track of which .collection file is actually the current :(

It does not have to individual setting for each sub folder but just where the base folder is.
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Thu May 14, 2009 3:36 pm

Auto Update feature is planned.
Read http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... =3610#3610
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Scytale » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:13 am

Please, please could we have this implemented:

... at present this is blocking me from installing it.
Scytale

Postby dryan01uk » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:01 am

Gets my vote as well - I've added them to the feedback page.
Call sign 'Senior' in my local playing group.
dryan01uk

Postby gaddlord » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:43 pm

OK lads lets do some brainstorming.

What we have as a problem:

1. currently the settings are saved to My Documents instead of the application folder. Some client do not have write right to this folder
2. if we save the files in the application folder Vista clients complain that the files can not be saved there
3. we need configuration value to store where all other configurations are stored. Something like the "Which was first: egg or hen".

If we use the third approach perhaps we should write this "ConfigurationPath" key to Registry BUT some users are not allowed to write to Registry.

So...I believe we should investigate why you are not able to use your own My Documents folder which by Microsoft recommendation is the best place to store such data?

Any ideas how I can make every single XP and Vista limited Windows user happy?
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby dryan01uk » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:10 am

Hmm .... I see the challenge .. and a possible simple solution.

How about making the DEFAULT location 'My Documents' and indicated it as recommended, followed by a further option to allow this pointer to reconfigured, but indicate that this may not work if user permissions are not appropriate and could lead to progam instabililty .....?

Perhaps a pop up warning with 'do you want to continue - Yes / No' ?

Personally, I'd like to store the configuration data, program and inventory on a thumb drive that I can take with me - but hey, I'd also like to be able to access my card inventory and deck lists from my iPhone :lol: ..... sigh!

D
dryan01uk

Postby Scytale » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:35 am

Core Problem:
I want to install MTGS on my regular work machine but I do not want to constantly see "MTG Studio 1.6.7" in the base on My Documents. This leads to annoying questions like "what is that?". I want to be able to either (1) rename it, (2) bury it deeper in My Documents or (3) have it somewhere entirely different.

Suggested Solution:
I agree with dryan01uk, make the My Documents the default for all users. Allow users to customize this configuration path.

The classic approach would be to store a configuration file under \Documents & Settings\username\Application Data\MTG Studio\
This, I believe, would also be the preferred Microsoft option.
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:36 pm

The classic approach would be to store a configuration file under \Documents & Settings\username\Application Data\MTG Studio\
This, I believe, would also be the preferred Microsoft option.

This is the best solution I agree.

For the portable version (like thumb USB drive) I can think of one fallback scenario:

1. The program starts
2. It checks if there are configuration files in a folder named Configuration in the same directory where the mtgstudio.exe resides.
If those files can be written to it uses them to store configuration
3. If there are no such files as descirbed in section 2. than the program checks in Application Data folder under C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\MTG Studio 1.6.8\Configuration.
If files not found it creates them. If MTG Studio fails to save the configuration there displays and error messaage like "MTG Studio experiences problems writing to file XXX. The configuration will not be saved."

Application Data folder is the default place where the settings will be stored. If there is a configuration folder alongside the EXE those settings will be used instead.

How do you feel about this?
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby dryan01uk » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:16 pm

This gets a BIG THUMBS UP from me! :D
dryan01uk

Postby gaddlord » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:10 am

dryan01uk wrote:This gets a BIG THUMBS UP from me! :D

Scytale, are you happy with this proposal too?
If Yes I will start implmenting this solution for the next MTG Studio.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Next

Return to Bugs (MTG Studio)