Lost Collection

Report a MTG Studio bug you have spotted or ask for help

Moderator: gaddlord

Lost Collection

Postby Darthdoug » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:20 pm

I recently (last night) found, installed, and registered the MTG 1.6.2 product and it looked great!

I immediately started using the program.

I started inputting my collection and worked on this for six hours. I noticed that the ‘Save’ and ‘Save As’ buttons were greyed out, but it did save the data when I reopened the tool, so I hoped for the best. Unfortunately I didn’t do as I had planned (I planned to copy the mtgstudio.collection file to a separate directory once I found which file held that info as I never trust a program completely)

Everything was however working well until today when I looked at what I'd input last night and did an export to an Excel file… not thinking that this would remove my entire collection from this program or corrupt the installation. Don’t know if this is normal or just a random bug. I closed the program, but next time I opened it… I started with the error ‘Unable to load XML document’ in a pop-up.

Then the program asked me to agree to the license agreement again…

This first time time it came up with a bunch of errors on XML that I didn’t save.

However my entire collection is missing…

And in the MTG install directory I see…

Mtgstudio.collection 1kb… it used to be much larger.

I stopped and restarted the program but that didn’t bring anything back, and I see the ‘Unable to load XML document’ error and have to agree to the license agreement every time. Obviously something is wrong.

I can obviously reinstall the program but I’m not sure I trust it now. I don't want to spend 20-40 hours inputting all my cards if they might just disappear again in the future.

A) I DO have the Excel export file… can I use this to import my work back into the program?
B) If I have to start over, what did I do wrong to have this happen if anything?
C) How can I do manual backups to make sure I don’t have to worry about this in the future.

I hope I didn’t lose six hours here, and I hope this is a bit more stable than losing my collection within a day of starting the input of it.

Any help is appreciated!
Darthdoug
Apprentice

Postby zorbaelbudha » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:33 am

I've been using the collection for about a week now and though I've seen the mtgsutdio.collection file at 1Kb, I've my collection (of 3200+ different cards) intact when I open the program.

I also made the XLS backup and think that a way to import these files is a must.
zorbaelbudha

Postby gaddlord » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:39 pm

The XLS export is used mainly as a way to export your current grid view in Excel and perhaps perform some operations there (like sorting, grouping, using Excel functions).

It is not meant as a standard "backup" feature. It exports whatever columns are currently visible and takes into consideration the grouping.

In the future I plan to have this Export/Import feature available which will simply zip the mtgstudio.collection file and place it in a folder you like and than unzpi it an import it if necessary.

For the time being you can simply make a copy/paste backup of the mtgstudio.collection file.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Darthdoug » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:57 pm

Good to know.

So how often do people lose their collections? I.E. how often should I back it up other than nightly.

It was my first night of using it and six hours of work, and gone the next day.

I did notice that file and it was a few hundred kilobytes but I wasn't sure if that was all that was needed so I didn't back it up... bad call on my part.

The next day I had the errors and the 1kb file.
Darthdoug
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:30 am

A feature of creation of automatic backup zipped copies is planned for the future. It will have the setting of how often to perform the backup.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Bugs (MTG Studio)