problems with ability filters

Report a MTG Studio bug you have spotted or ask for help

Moderator: gaddlord

problems with ability filters

Postby sunzu » Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm

hay i downloaded this on sun may 12 and i have to say its awsome
but i have had dificulties with thie abilities filter
namely industructable and life gain
i play with mirridon and would say i know it fairly well and many cards i use from these did not appear in the search most notably all the industructables from darksteel
i was wondering if there is any way i can add the cards i know are in the catagory to them manualy or if i have to redownload it
thanks
sunzu
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Tue May 13, 2008 3:41 pm

To be completely honest - the so called Abilities feature has been copied as an idea from the old MTG Interactive Encyclopedia.

It has the abilities assigned for the cards from the past but has not been constantly updated recently.

The only ability which is constantly updated is the Mana Production one.

If you find some discrepancies or missing entries (and I know that there are alot) please send me a list and I can add them.

I plan to make some automation in order to check if all of them are upto date, but this requires some euristcs and is not just a simple string matching.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby sunzu » Tue May 13, 2008 4:04 pm

k cool ill see what kind of list i can make
sunzu
Apprentice

list

Postby kurkpeterman » Wed May 14, 2008 1:36 pm

I would be happy to help overhaul the abilities section by assigning abilities to all the cards that are currently in constructed (I'd start with Shadowmoor and work backwards). If you were ever to think about doing some type of AI, hardcoding the abilities would be a necessary start.

One thing that I think would also help (not sure how difficult this would be as I don't know how you're doing things on the backend) is if it would only show cards from the pool that you were currently working with. For example, if I was filtering the cards to only show 10E ans SHM, it would only show cards in the ability section from those sets.
kurkpeterman
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby kurkpeterman » Wed May 14, 2008 1:40 pm

just thought of another thing... it would be nice to only show abilities that had cards that existed in the pool. For example, if I limited the card pool to 10E and SHM like in the above example, I wouldn't see the Ki ability listed in the Counters section because there are no cards that have that ability.
kurkpeterman
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby gaddlord » Wed May 14, 2008 3:28 pm

I would be happy to help overhaul the abilities section by assigning abilities to all the cards that are currently in constructed (I'd start with Shadowmoor and work backwards). If you were ever to think about doing some type of AI, hardcoding the abilities would be a necessary start.

I will try to make a list of string matching checks for each ability which can produce at least 80% of the abilities automatically the rest must be added manually.

One thing that I think would also help (not sure how difficult this would be as I don't know how you're doing things on the backend) is if it would only show cards from the pool that you were currently working with.

You can define a custom filter and save it, afterwards load it.

For example, if I was filtering the cards to only show 10E ans SHM, it would only show cards in the ability section from those sets.

That makes sense. I will add it to my TODO list (but with low priority)

It would be nice to only show abilities that had cards that existed in the pool.

This can not be done due to performance issues since 18'000 cards must be matched agains more than 500 abilities. This will take ~5-6 minutes.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Bugs (MTG Studio)