Filter row not editable + Lag in Card Art Load

Report a MTG Studio bug you have spotted or ask for help

Moderator: gaddlord

Filter row not editable + Lag in Card Art Load

Postby gaddlord » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:12 pm

Hello MTG Studio Team !

I actually feel kind of stupid for even asking, because I must be missing something obvious, but... how do you use the filter bar, right above the collection or pool, where it says "Click here to define a card filter" ?

When I click there, I cannot seem to manage to get the cursor in it. One click does nothing, a double click does not help, and neither does more clicking. But if I have a card selected in "collection from pool" mode, a double click in the filter bar adds the card to the collection. Clicking once and typing triggers the quick name search, which is neat, too, but not what I want. Somehow, under whatever circumstances, I did get the cursor into the filter bar, and then it is just great - but I cannot figure out how it is done.

Am I doing it wrong ?
Does my computer fail me ?
Do you have an idea what I could try ?

Version is 3.22, but it has been the same before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS.: MTG Studio is great ! Best feature for me ? Showing high resolution card images in any size I want. I only wish they would update instantly (when not using morph).
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Re: Lasinger

Postby gaddlord » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:14 pm

How do you use the filter bar, right above the collection or pool, where it says "Click here to define a card filter"

Currently it has a bug which I will look into. Thanks for reporting.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:16 pm

Showing high resolution card images in any size I want. I only wish they would update instantly (when not using morph).

Since card images are stored on an external Internet accessible server the first time you look into a card you would have to wait for its card art being downloaded. The next time you browse the card its card art would be already cached and display instantly. There isn't a way to make the first download instant.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:55 pm

Filter row fix is applied in the forthcoming MTG Studio 3.24 version. Along side being fixed now it would be more responsive and the filtering would be applied every 1 second as you type without having to lose focus first.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Ornamar » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:27 am

gaddlord wrote:
In my eMail, I wrote:Showing high resolution card images in any size I want. I only wish they would update instantly (when not using morph).

Since card images are stored on an external Internet accessible server the first time you look into a card you would have to wait for its card art being downloaded. The next time you browse the card its card art would be already cached and display instantly. There isn't a way to make the first download instant.

The automatic download naturally takes a bit of time - what I am referring to is the "Update Speed" option, which can not be set lower than 200ms. For me, this makes browsing through the cards feel laggy.
Ornamar

Postby gaddlord » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:28 am

Ornamar wrote:The automatic download naturally takes a bit of time - what I am referring to is the "Update Speed" option, which can not be set lower than 200ms. For me, this makes browsing through the cards feel laggy.

After the X msec timeout MTG Studio spawns around 10 additional parallel threads (for fetching reviews, prices, card art, dig into the database for external sources identifiers).
If that kicks quick and the user had already moved to another card (e.g. holding the Down arrow key) all those threads need to be terminated and a new set of such spawned for the new card. Having too much creating, running and terminating threads simultaneously which are synchronized with the front end UI is something which eventually lags the whole application.

Let me think what we can do about this. Maybe locally available downloaded files to be loaded separately from the Internet downloaded ones and have a shorter "wait" internal.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Re: Filter row not editable + Lag in Card Art Load

Postby Ornamar » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:06 am

Wow, it's great that this issue (if you can even call it that) is still on the table. Thanks !

As for the solution, I am oviously clueless - and the following is probably garbage - but I might try separating the visible (and hopefully fast) updates, like stored card pictures and rules text, from all the rest. Then always load those, when a new row is selected, and keep the rest on a timer. This way, all the slower, possibly performance critical tasks only get started, if the user keeps looking at a card for x ms. This delay might also give the application enough time to finish the slower tasks, before they can be requested again for another card. It would naturally slow down the slow updates even more...
Ornamar

Return to Bugs (MTG Studio)