Older Set cards are showing as Standard Legal

Report a MTG Studio bug you have spotted or ask for help

Moderator: gaddlord

Older Set cards are showing as Standard Legal

Postby Cpl.Stonewall » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Possible IBM (idiot behind the machine. lol) issue here... I seem to be finding more sets showing as standard legal than I think currently are. Am I doing something wrong, do i have an out of date card pool file?

I am just doing a card pool filter and checking the standard box. I downloaded the studio software last night after running my trial out a few months ago. Truth be told, I searched around for another tool and liked this one best so I re-downloaded and purchased today. Now I have found this issue which will be big for me, as I have been a player on and off since `93 but just NOW really getting into Standard and need to see the truly legal cards including old ones that are legally reprinted..

It seems that at least M12 and an expansion block set prior to the Innistrad block are showing as standard legal still and I believe they are not. below are a few examples. Is there anyway I can fix this? Do I need to be downloading a newer card pool file? I cannot find how to do that. Also, I do not want to just hide those sets as there may be some reprinted cards in those sets that I have that are standard legal due to the re-print.

Examples:
Kite Shield - M12 - link to gathering showing it is not standard legal (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=244250)
Kiln Walker - NPH - link to gathering showing it is not standard legal (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=214380)

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Cpl.Stonewall
Apprentice

Re: Older Set cards are showing as Standard Legal

Postby CptDobey » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:50 am

Hello,

I do have the same issue with the latest portable version. M12 and few older sets are "Standart Legal", which is not true.

A new release of the program and/or database is needed to correct this bug but there is a workaround: you can filter the upper list to only display card from selected sets.

With the box on the top right, either choose "Deck from pool" or "Deck from Collection" and hit F3.
A screen appears, select "editions" instead of "Format" and check the sets corresponding to Standart: Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored, Return to Ravnica, and the Magic 2013 core set (as found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The ... s#Standard ).
Click ok.

The filter you just apply will stay until you modify/clear it, even if you exit the program completely.
Please, note that I'm not a member of MtG-Studio team.
CptDobey

Postby Cpl.Stonewall » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:57 am

Thanks for the help.

I am not using the portable, I guess they have the same issue. Thanks for confirming. I figured that was the best work around, it just does not help with which cards from older sets in my collection can still be used for Standard since I would have to filter out the older sets.

Do you know if the next update been announced?
Cpl.Stonewall
Apprentice

Postby CptDobey » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 am

No, I have no idea about a new release. Most of the time they occur when a new set is released or when a major bug is found.

Yes, that's true. If you have the rav-land in their original set, they will be filtered out, because that set is not "Type 2"... You have to know the card you have. At least, you are able to build deck with legal cards, but it is not a convenient way to handle your collection.
CptDobey

Postby Cpl.Stonewall » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:30 am

Makes sense, yes thank you.

Looking forward to Gatecrash even more now. lol

Do you think I need to submit a bug request via the app for this? Or is normally a thread on the board enough?
Thanks again!
Cpl.Stonewall
Apprentice

Postby CptDobey » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:12 pm

I'm only using this board. Most of the bugs are corrected with the next release, even if the post remain without any official response.
CptDobey

Postby Cpl.Stonewall » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Excellent.. thanks again!
Cpl.Stonewall
Apprentice

Postby Cpl.Stonewall » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:20 pm

It looks like this is fixed in 3.7 based on my use today.

Thank you much.

/Happy Camper
Cpl.Stonewall
Apprentice

Postby ChaosInc » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:27 pm

The reason you see older sets is most likely they are copies of currently Standard legal cards. Unless rules have changed since I last played you are allowed to use older versions of the same card as long as there is a current print in the format.
ChaosInc
Apprentice

Return to Bugs (MTG Studio)