[MTG Studio Portable ]Price new stores not available ?

Report a MTG Studio bug you have spotted or ask for help

Moderator: gaddlord

[MTG Studio Portable ]Price new stores not available ?

Postby CptDobey » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:05 pm

MTG Studio 2.2 has been released with the following updates:

Changes in the application model:
- Added support for 72 card stores with card prices. Prices are fetched in real-time.

When I choose to import prices, I can choose between Abu Games and Magic Trader.

How the real time price fetching is working ?

Is there anything to do to activate the new stores and the real time update ?

(I'm using MTG Studio Portable version)

Thanks in advance for your help.
CptDobey

Postby Schwanke » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:46 pm

Same problem. And when I updated prices it blanked all the price fields.
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby texasaggie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:50 pm

Found it. Go to collection mode and then for a given card row select the ellipses (...) under buy at or sell at and you'll get the new popup. I was expecting to be able to select a store to use as a source for my whole collection instead of one at a time, but that may be due to the APIs with the stores. This is great, don't get me wrong, but going through this manually for 25,000 cards isn't feasible.
texasaggie

Postby Schwanke » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:46 pm

yeah, definitely needs to be a do all.

I also think there needs to be a 'default options' for adding cards.

I might add 500 near mint cards and changing unknown to near mint 500 times to get the right price is a pain.

Where as I might do another 1000 fair next so being able to change it is a definite need.

Might be other things that are default as well but thats the ones I know of so far.
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby CptDobey » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:37 am

texasaggie wrote:Found it. Go to collection mode and then for a given card row select the ellipses (...) under buy at or sell at and you'll get the new popup. I was expecting to be able to select a store to use as a source for my whole collection instead of one at a time, but that may be due to the APIs with the stores. This is great, don't get me wrong, but going through this manually for 25,000 cards isn't feasible.

Very nice find ;)

As you said, if we have to do it one by one...well...it can be done, but it's a bit rough.

Moreover the value is put into the "buy at" or "sell at" column, while the automated (old system) prices are put into the "market value" column. It means you have to click on every cards even the one where the price are already known.

Is it possible to complete (semi)automatically the prices of many (/all) cards at once ?

Some cards are not found (so far):
- Time Walk (beta)
- Mox Sapphire (alpha)
- Black Lotus (beta)
- Sheep, goblin, squirrel, pegasus, soldier, zombie tokens (from Unglued)
That's weird.

When multiple versions exist, only the (1) is found. The others aren't.
CptDobey

Postby Schwanke » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:55 am

I just checked. I get no prices available. Not even the old ones.
---
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby lombas » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:56 pm

I don't get it.. this function is kind of useless. If I want to do a price search for a specific card I can just Google it.

What MTG Studio needs is a way to get better and more precise prices for all the collection, So we can see the most valuble cards, and the total price of our collection.

Abu Games and Magic Traders are just not good enough in my opinion. I beleave the prices should be like in this web site, with low mid and high:
http://magiccards.info/m12/en/8.html

The prices for this site comes from this other site
http://store.tcgplayer.com/product.aspx?id=47199&partner=MAGCINFO

I believe this is much more reliable.
lombas
Mage
Mage

Postby Schwanke » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Other posts in the forum indicate that the intended final solution is to be a system where prices are updated on the fly (probably when loading the collection file?) and use a smart average to take known prices from a large number of stores and collate them into one inferred price.

Whats not finalized at this moment is the way the numbers are calculated and add to that the fact that it seems as if the first 'version' of this system has a failure in which it doesnt operate the way it was supposed to at this point.

For example I BELIEVE gad intended for all of those stores to be available and automatically combined into a smart average and put into the value field. Or something similar to this. The problem is there is some sort of bug or maybe he accidentally released an internal beta of his instead of his final version. Regardless I believe its safe to say that the current version isnt even acting as GAD intended it let alone how we seem to want it in the end.

A large number of stores was promised but what will still need to be worked out in my opinion will be how the smart average will be done. For example prior to this release even with the two stores foil and non foil were both calculated into the averge and that is not helpful as foil and nonfoil are nearly unreleated in terms of prices to each other among other things.

--edit--

I added a link to my signature to my original post on how I felt the pricing system should be done. It was discussed a little and Gad seemed to like it. I would love for others to check it out and comment. I think its a great base place to start for fleshing out this part of the system to the common needs even if I dont get everything I want. :D
---
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby lombas » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:23 pm

OK, all this makes sense, but I don't get why go to all this trouble, all the mathematics, all the average and etc... if there is a source for the prices, that is already working perfectly (I'm talking about the link I sent http://store.tcgplayer.com/product.aspx?id=47199&partner=MAGCINFO )

And I don't think we should have only one column with the price. Seems more logical to have 3 prices for the same card: LOW MID HIGH like the pic below: Image

I believe more information is better. Having the 3 ranges, gives you a better idea of how much your cars are really worth... The price range.
lombas
Mage
Mage

Postby Schwanke » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:33 pm

Basically because those prices arent accurate.

tcgplayer bases its prices off of tcgplayer's stores. Not real stores. 90% of those stores are run by one person each trying to sell from their own collection so they beat each other by prices down to some insanely low price and flood the market but since most of them are not real stores many people will not buy from them. Try returning a card you payed 30 dollars for that had a tear in one corner to a store that only sells four cards and disapears after a week.

Now I do not have personal experience with tcgplayer or its stores but that was my impression and why I will never use them.

Where as real stores will stand by their product and often if the card is not to expensive just say keep it and send you another one and maybe even throw in free gifts etc. Real stores charge real shipping and use real packaging and take the time to perfect the order and have quality customer service. Yes you pay a little more for all this but you also know that you will always get good service and within reason exactly what you wanted in the first place if not then some.

Ive never seen tcgplayer prices as 'market prices' only prices of stores on tcgplayer. You'll never see stores like troll and toad or abugames on there and those are the ones that actually set the bar on value because those are the ones people trust who dont wanna take the time or risk to do one dollar shot stores.

tcgplayer is more like an ebay. Anyone and everyone can have a store whether they are selling 1 card or 1000 and you get what you pay for. Atleast ebay has a rating system that is serious enough that too many mess ups and your banned from using it where as to my knowledge tcgplayer doesnt have that and nothing stops someone from creating a new store under a new name where as ebay will block your paypal and even freeze your assets if they think something seriosly hinky is going on.

I could be wrong on some/all of this with respect to tcgplayer but I got a bad taste in my mouth from my original research and reviews and have no interest in dealing with individual sellers try to make a quick buck off of excess or even played cards pawned off as new.

Just my opinion. Dont think I am ranting though maybe im derailing the conversation, not sure. Dont mind me. I'm just the village idiot. :D
---
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby CptDobey » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:46 am

Schwanke wrote:final solution is to be a system where prices are updated on the fly (probably when loading the collection file?)

Let's hope not.

I am currently into the process to add every cards I own into MTG Studio. I already have 2188 entries for a total of 6333 cards. At the end, I should have about 8.000 to 10.000 entries for a total of 20.000 to 25.000 cards. I do not want to wait for these 8000 entries to be updated every time I access the collection file.

The update process can be "on the fly" when you add cards to your collection (for those cards only). The update process of all cards has to be an action triggered by the user (click on a button). You can also have - as now - the ability to update just one card, of course.
CptDobey

Postby Azul » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:03 am

I used to buy all my stuff from eBay until I found tcgplayer. Now I cry at all the money I wasted buying terrible auctions from eBay. I've currently made about 40+ purchases off of TCGplayer and have never been jilted on any of them. I usually spend about 30 - 70 per purchase, so I don't know if that's substantial or not. I had maybe one purchase where they didn't give me a card, but they had already credited it back to my account because they didn't have any stock.

The only thing I have noticed is that you sometimes have to empty your cart and go through the whole process again with a different store when you get to checkout and see that the certain company wants $45 in shipping for something that costs $6 from a different store. I personally like gamersinn, hotsaucegames, and adventuresOn for having decent stock and decent prices. A few of the stores that are ridiculously cheap try to rip you off on shipping. I just wish I could blacklist them so I don't try to buy any of their garbage anymore when I see it for a good price.

I also wouldn't say that 'anyone' can make a store. I usually see 30 or so stores listed and they never really seem to change. I've noticed a few of them are just eBay sellers that are fairly big and happen to have a storefront too. After blowing way too much money on eBay purchases, I'd honestly recommend to never use it. You usually get dinged really bad on shipping. A lot of the auctions charge $1.00 per playset; whereas, the tcgplayer stores usually have a decent flatrate shipping.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:24 am

Well I guess its good there is a second opinion hehe. Maybe they have changed since I looked. That was a year or two ago. I noticed tons and tons and tons of cards for .01cent and noticed how the prices would start at 5.00 and go down to 1cent and thought this cant be right.

How often do you find cards that are listed as 1cent but then have like high shipping so they are actually 10 or 20 or even 50 cents?

That was my personal main issue for pricing because then the prices ARE useless for something like mtgstudio if all the 1cent high shipping prices skew the prices lower.
---
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby CptDobey » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:29 am

If you buy your cards directly from a store or from someone, there is no shipping cost... If you buy online, group your purchase to reduce the price per card.
CptDobey

Postby Azul » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:51 am

I don't often find too much fluctuation in prices other than those few stores where they rip you off on shipping. It's probably a good idea to just add 10 or so cards to your cart then go to checkout and see what kind of shipping they give you. If you live in the US I'm sure the deals are better, I live in Canada though so we don't get the free shipping options.

I do know that I will never buy singles from a brick and mortar store again. They tend to have some 'dollar a rare' thing going on for rares that go for 14 cents off of an online store. I've put together a lot of EDH decks on junk rares that would have cost me a fortune in stores.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Next

Return to Bugs (MTG Studio)