Double-clicking on card in collection decreases quantity

Report a MTG Studio bug you have spotted or ask for help

Moderator: gaddlord

Double-clicking on card in collection decreases quantity

Postby Zappo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi,
just registered my copy.

I've been playing with this software for a few days now, found a few bugs here and there (most of them already reported here).

If I have to pick one that should really be fixed soon is the automatic decreasing the quantity of a card in collection on double-clicking it. If only 1 copy of a card is in collection, double-clicking it will remove the card entirely.

Not sure if this is working as designed, I'd really like this feature to be removed or at least made somehow configurable or, as a last option, to require confirmation.
Zappo
Apprentice

Postby Percivul » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:21 pm

I'm with you on this one. I don't understand why it isn't set to decrease on, for example, the delete key. Most database type programs I've seen like this actually run the opposite way in that if you double click the item, it'll increase. Due to force of habit, I end up deleting allot of cards that I'm not meaning to. :(

So, if it matters to whomever is watching, I would like to second the idea of either making this configurable, or removed as an option altogether.
Percivul
Mage
Mage

Postby gaddlord » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:34 pm

In the future double clicking will prompt prior to deletion.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Maybe I should simply switch deleting with Increasing Count for the double click operation. I will give it some time and revisit the idea.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Percivul » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:30 am

I would HIGHLY recommend that Gad. In most MTG database programs I've worked with, that is the default action. In addition to that, I would consider setting up some sort of method (maybe a right-click menu) to add foils instead of going through the menu to change settings. I ran into the problem where when you add multiple cards, it'll ask you to select yes, no or cancel. If you put a check next to "do this for all actions", it never pops that menu up again and you're basically screwed as far as adding foils if you have standard cards.

If I may humbly request, here is how I would recommend setting it up.

User clicks OR presses enter on a selected card for their collection.
System initially adds a standard version of that card to the DB.
User clicks OR presses enter on same card again.
System asks if they wish to add a copy, foil, or cancel.
IF user clicks IN their collection on a specific card, add one more card of that type to the collection without asking.
IF user presses delete OR minus OR (insert key here) while highlighting a card in their database they wish to reduce, pop up a menu that ask to delete or cancel. Offer a checkbox next to delete for future actions.
If user right clicks on a card in their collection, add menu option to make a single card in that row a foil variant, it could simply say "Make Foil" or something similar. If user selects this option, reduce the card count on that row by one and add a row underneath with a foil variant of that card.

I would imagine if you set it up like that, you'll get few to no complaints from the community. Would anyone (asking the other users) disagree?
Percivul
Mage
Mage

Postby Percivul » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:36 am

Forgot to add....

When adding a card or whatnot, could you set it so the program will automatically scroll to that card in the users collection? It used to run that way in 1.8.2 and that made it MUCH easier to get a visual count of the cards one already has in their collection. It seems like now the users collection will almost always scroll all the way to the bottom of their list. In the case of someone like me who has more than 9600 cards, it gets kinda hard to remember if you added 2 or 3 Glacial Fortresses, for example. What I end up having to do is go to the collection itself and scroll back to the 'G' section, just to check the count.

Maybe that could be a menu option as well? Allow the user to decide whether they want their collection database to follow where they click in the card pool, stay where it is or scroll to the bottom.

In other words, if I'm in the 'G' section of the pool and I have cards in my collection. Let's say that in the collection area (bottom frame) it's in the 'W' section. If I want to add a card from the 'G' section, have the collection automatically jump up the corresponding 'G' section that has the card they've selected in the center, or even at the top or bottom. So long as it's visible, it should be more than ok.
Percivul
Mage
Mage

Postby gaddlord » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:26 am

Percivul wrote:In other words, if I'm in the 'G' section of the pool and I have cards in my collection. Let's say that in the collection area (bottom frame) it's in the 'W' section. If I want to add a card from the 'G' section, have the collection automatically jump up the corresponding 'G' section that has the card they've selected in the center, or even at the top or bottom. So long as it's visible, it should be more than ok.

Focusing the added cards is present in the latest 1.8.3 version and working for all cases (apart from adding cards from card pool to deck).
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:50 am

Percivul wrote:I would HIGHLY recommend that Gad. In most MTG database programs I've worked with, that is the default action. In addition to that, I would consider setting up some sort of method (maybe a right-click menu) to add foils instead of going through the menu to change settings. I ran into the problem where when you add multiple cards, it'll ask you to select yes, no or cancel. If you put a check next to "do this for all actions", it never pops that menu up again and you're basically screwed as far as adding foils if you have standard cards.

If I may humbly request, here is how I would recommend setting it up.

User clicks OR presses enter on a selected card for their collection.
System initially adds a standard version of that card to the DB.
User clicks OR presses enter on same card again.
System asks if they wish to add a copy, foil, or cancel.
IF user clicks IN their collection on a specific card, add one more card of that type to the collection without asking.
IF user presses delete OR minus OR (insert key here) while highlighting a card in their database they wish to reduce, pop up a menu that ask to delete or cancel. Offer a checkbox next to delete for future actions.
If user right clicks on a card in their collection, add menu option to make a single card in that row a foil variant, it could simply say "Make Foil" or something similar. If user selects this option, reduce the card count on that row by one and add a row underneath with a foil variant of that card.

I would imagine if you set it up like that, you'll get few to no complaints from the community. Would anyone (asking the other users) disagree?

Double click in 1.8.4 version in collection will Increase the card Qty.
Shift + Double click will increase the Needed column.

For the "Add Foil to Collection" you can vote at http://mtgstudio.uservoice.com/forums/16948-mtg-studio-suggestions/suggestions/1601571-add-foil-to-collection-menu?ref=title
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:03 pm

Vote for this feature improvement at http://mtgstudio.uservoice.com/forums/16948-mtg-studio-suggestions/suggestions/1613565-new-add-to-collection-already-exists-prompt?ref=title

New "Add to Collection Already Exists" prompt
Currently if the card is present in the collection a prompt appers asking if the card should have its Qty increased or be added on a new row.

Make some changes to this dialog:
- create a new custom dialog.
- remove the "never ask me again" since it is confusing
- add "Add to Existing" button
- add "Add as New" button
- add "Add as Foil to Existing" button
- add "Add as New Foil" button
- If Increase Qty option is selected, add a grid wihich displays all already available cards with the same model in the grid from all editions and be able to select to which to Inrease Qty to.
- add Apply to all check which is in effect for all cards currently selected for addition.
- remove the old dialog from the soource code.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby CaptSimian » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:19 pm

I would actually prefer if double-clicking on a card did nothing. I hate it when I accidentally double-click something and it modifies a count (in either direction) without confirmation. Perhaps you could allow the user to set the double-click actions for a row, with a reasonable default.

Also, I like some of the modifications to the "Already Exists" prompt. I keep one row for non-foil copies of a card and one for foil copies, so it'll be nice to explicitly tell the program to add to one or the other, rather than being unsure if adding to the existing will add to the foil or non-foil, and if adding a new row will create an extraneous third row. For simplicity's sake, though, I would probably prefer to see it broken down as two options; "Add as Regular" and "Add as Foil". For me these would intelligently create or update an appropriate regular or foil row for that card. I don't know if that's best for everyone, though, or just me.

Perhaps you could provide some clarification on the options for me. What does "Add as Foil to Existing" do if you only have non-foil copies of the card in your collection? And what would "Add to Existing" do if you only had foil copies of that card?
CaptSimian
Apprentice

Postby Schwanke » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:20 pm

In most gui's double click is reserved for 'opening something' whether its a dialog or an explanation or a help file. If double click is going to do anything I recommend it be associated with a window opening even if its "Are you sure you wish to increase the count by one?"

Or you could even do a "Increase count by?" and have it default to one but allow someone to change it to a higher number.

Ideally you want there to be a 'warning' that your doing something by double clicking for the afore mentioned reason of accidental double click but at the same time it can be usefull so having anything with an ok/cancel option can be considered a combination of a warning and an option. The option can then be defined as say the action of increasing the count with a default of one and a choice of more by say entering a number by hand.

The key for ease of use is if someone does an accidental double click then having a simple one more click of cancel or one more click of ok for a default action optimizes the usefullness of it while allowing for the benefit of a more configured choice.

Just my opinion.
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:41 pm

* Double-click with increase (not decreae) qty in 1.8.4.

* The "Never Ask me Again?" option won't be available any more since it has been a source of confusion since the beginning.

* 1.8.4. will laso have Cards|Add Foil to Collection.

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:54 am

Overwriting a file in Windows also asks similar kind of questions. I will keep listening to suggestions on how to finally make it work (in "conjure banana" cases especially). :wink:
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:40 am

a) double clicking on some random card

This will be addressed in the forthcoming 2.4 version.

b) using mouse wheel to scroll the list up/down, while having mouse positioned over quantity column, which increases/decreases the amount of cards in collection

Fixed in 2.4 version. Scrolling from now one will simply scroll the list instrad of increasing the counts.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Azul » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:23 pm

That's actually really huge. Thanks. I remember one time I accidentally bumped a card up to 24 or so copies when I only had one. I'm just glad I caught it or my collection might have become really out of whack.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Return to Bugs (MTG Studio)