Card Pricing Seems Glitchy

Report a MTG Studio bug you have spotted or ask for help

Moderator: gaddlord

Card Pricing Seems Glitchy

Postby Moobu » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:21 am

The most blatant example I have found so far was my 5e Personal Incarnation which for some reason the program believes to be valued at a whopping $130. A quick search online shows this card to only be worth about $0.50. A second example of glitchy pricing would be my Stoneforge Mystic cards. The program is valuing them at $3.50 when they are worth about $10.00 even a piece.

I'm unsure as to why these price anomalies are happening but it makes me wonder if my money would be well spent buying this program as is. Please look into fixing this and making a reliable price return.

A suggestion I would make would be to consider rebuilding the system to use the www.magiccards.info pricing as it seems to be a very solid and reliable website for pricing.
Moobu
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby Schwanke » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:30 am

Well established bug in the version that is installed directly off the web page. You need to go to my signature and go the post detailing the instructions on how to upgrade to the version that fixes this.

Since there is supposed to be a massive new released version soon I dont think Gad ever bothered to take the time to update the website because he was putting all his energy into the new version. Just a supposition.

The version in my signature will give you the most currently including SOM cards but NOT the SOM prices. (That will be in the new super release) as well as fix the pricing bug that you just encountered.
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Moobu » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:02 am

Thank you for your speedy reply. Sorry that I made a redundant post lol. Could you give me any comment on the search bug that I have seen posted? I made another post on that as well detailing the issues I found with it personally. Any word on it being fixed?
Moobu
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby Moobu » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:50 am

So I followed the instructions you gave me above. That fixed the problem with the personal incarnation as well as a usable search feature. However I'm concerned that my stoneforge mystics are still priced at $3.50 when they are worth $10 a piece. Any other ideas to fix this?
Moobu
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby Azul » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:00 pm

Unless you are planning to unload your whole collection right away I'd hold off worrying for the next little while. Gadd's working on a huge overhaul on the program right now and the price stuff should be fixed when he's done.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:26 pm

yeah I agree with azul.

I personally dont know the prices of specific cards and I've been worried about the prices not being accurate because of them being taken from such a limited list of sources.

Its hard to say what a card is really worth sometimes.

The ones that let players sell to each other directly sometimes have prices that dont make any sense because even though they are low no one wants to take a chance and buy from joe bloke who might take their money and run.

But then Troll and Toad always seems to have the lowest, always has 99cent shipping and is reputable. I assume because they buy by multiple cases at discount volumes and have teams of lightning fast monkeys sorting them hehe. So theoretically you could always just price yourself by them assuming anyone who knows about them is going to go to them except for stuff hey dont have in stock.

Then there is the fact that ebay almost always sells lower then everybody else but then ebay is also person to person and somewhat frowned upon because you might get a shoddy seller that you dont trust or gives a crap card and you have to fight about.

Why it would be worth 10$ and not 3.50 I have no idea. Maybe I'll look it up at some point. I'm somewhat curious.
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Azul » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:03 am

I always shop from store.tcgplayer.com

It aggregates a whole bunch of different stores so you can get a look at all their prices. Stoneforge on there is going for around 8.50 or so.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:06 am

Hmm. Hopefully Gad will read this (as I assume he reads everything on here) and will consider looking into them as a source of info for the new version. I'm assuming if he is putting this much energy into a new version then it will have a simple system for adding new price sources later so even if they dont make it in time for the next release he might be able to get them in later I would hope if they are that popular.
---
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Azul » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:24 pm

Gadd already said in another thread that tcgplayer and some others were on his wishlist or something.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Return to Bugs (MTG Studio)