catalog didn't save

Report a MTG Studio bug you have spotted or ask for help

Moderator: gaddlord

catalog didn't save

Postby Schwanke » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Went to move my catalog to my laptop and it was empty on my laptop. Figured I did something wrong in moving it but to be sure I went back to my desktop to check the original catalog and poof, nothing in it. its 15kb on the hard drive.

Just thought I should mention. I plan on switching to portable anyway since I didnt realize that was an option when I first installed it. Only lost 21 cards and I know how to find them faster so wont take more then a few minutes to get back to where I was.

Question though:

To be 'truly portable' like catalog AND configuration, do I transfer the catalog as well as the configuration folder between machines? I have a lightning fast private ftp site that I backup my hard drive on so I can just set it to auto upload and download those files each time and take like 30 seconds to synchronize each time I sit down at one or the other.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:56 pm

Yes, you can move your portable MTG Studio around using a USB/Flash drive.

or you can even use an automated service like dropbox.com (which I adore).

I will send you an invite for dropbox over email.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Still looked though like even the portable atleast on .8 created the catalog in the app data tree section so just sharing the portable folder wouldnt do it.

Or am I missing something like it reads the catalog in the local directory first? Then reads the one in app data? Just created my blank one there?

The collection file is in this folder according to running 1.8 portable and opening the configuration folder and going up a level:

Code: Select all
C:\Documents and Settings\David\Application Data\PalmROOT\MTG Studio 1.8.0

Obvious David being my login name.

So if I just move the portable folder then it wont move the catalog unless I am mistaken. To get the catalog to move I would have to drop box the Studio 1.8.0 folder as well as the portable folder. In fact I dont even see a need to drop box the portable folder cuz that should just be the default install files anyway and shouldnt change unless there is a new version.

Am I nuts? Was the intent to drop box the config folder parent folder in the first place? I am used to 'portable' software meaning you can stick the entire folder on a portable device and not have to worry about window's configuration tree stuff like app data at all. In fact most people would say fiddling with anything in app data manually is a no no and dangerous for in experienced uses. (Providing they can find it in the first place lol. I still got lost looking for it hehe. :D)

Thanks!
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:37 pm

Still looked though like even the portable atleast on .8 created the catalog in the app data tree section so just sharing the portable folder wouldnt do it.

Or am I missing something like it reads the catalog in the local directory first? Then reads the one in app data? Just created my blank one there?

The collection file is in this folder according to running 1.8 portable and opening the configuration folder and going up a level:

So if I just move the portable folder then it wont move the catalog unless I am mistaken. To get the catalog to move I would have to drop box the Studio 1.8.0 folder as well as the portable folder. In fact I dont even see a need to drop box the portable folder cuz that should just be the default install files anyway and shouldnt change unless there is a new version.

Am I nuts? Was the intent to drop box the config folder parent folder in the first place? I am used to 'portable' software meaning you can stick the entire folder on a portable device and not have to worry about window's configuration tree stuff like app data at all. In fact most people would say fiddling with anything in app data manually is a no no and dangerous for in experienced uses. (Providing they can find it in the first place lol. I still got lost looking for it hehe. :D)

Thanks!
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:38 pm

C:=Documents and Settings=David=Application Data=PalmROOT=MTG Studio 1.8.0

Replacing back slashes with = signs as the website through an error making this post I think.
Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type

DEBUG MODE

Line : 126
File : smtp.php

Thanks!
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks![/code]
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Well shoot me. That error code posted in one of those repeat posts had me thinking it wasnt posting. Didnt occur to me till after the fourth try it might be posting since the smtp code would be after the post anyway.

Sorry for all the repeats. Delete at your leasure but recommend grabbing the smtp error code from the one before you do. Still giving it even after changing the \s and taking out the code meta tags and what not.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:42 am

MTG Studio 1.8.0 has a bug in portable.
The filename mtgstudio.exe should be mtgstudio_portable.exe.
This is the "trigger" to start MTG Studio in portable mode.

How to resolve:

1. rename mtgstudio.exe to mtgstudio_portable.exe. After being started it should create your Configuration folder inside the MTG Studio folder.

2. download the 1.8.1 portable version which has this fixed + a fix for a big "Add to Deck" problem. Read more at http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1263

Sorry, about the SMTP errors. I will have to talk to my hosting provider about that.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Bugs (MTG Studio)