Prices are all wrong

Report a MTG Studio bug you have spotted or ask for help

Moderator: gaddlord

Prices are all wrong

Postby Subnormal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Yavimaya Gnats (G) is worth 17 dollars according to your program, but I looked it up online and it's closer to 60 cents. Where are you pulling this info from? Can't you pull it from many sources, drop the outliers, and then average the prices together?
Subnormal

Postby gaddlord » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:20 pm

Indeed one overpriced card can skew the prices a lot.

In the forthcoming MTG Studio 1.7.7 version the card prices will be averaged from
ABU Games
Magic Traders
Hastur Hobbies

and foil prices will be excluded since they raise the avg price too high.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:56 pm

Might I recommend checking the prices from tcgplayer.com as well?

The first card I looked at in your engine said 92cents where as its 20cents over there and they have hundreds of them for sale unplayed of that card.

I mention this because I googled for a mtg database and they were the first ones that showed up and ive never even heard of your others (though admittedly I only got back into collecting them a week ago).

I dont know what goes into your criteria for choosing which online sources to choose for pricing but if I were looking to buy singles I would have used them and not even known about the others and then downloaded your software and thought its prices were nuts lol. :D

Just an idea, im inexperienced so I could be out in left field.

Looking forward to 1.7.7. I wont value my collection until it comes out probably and see if those numbers average out better. Trying to figure out prices to sell some on ebay and sure wont help to list way over price lol. :D
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:13 pm

The newest 1.8 and 1.8.1 to the average over the non-foil cards only since foils and autographed cards skew a lot the averages.

I use Magic Traders and ABU Games since they provide free programatic interfaces for retrieving card prices.

I am not sure if tcgplayer.com has such interface?
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:18 pm

Ahh probably not but I had assumed you were already scraping them.

Are the ones your using like officially downloaded information? Or just happens that its really easy to get it off the website?

Ive written a couple of website scrapers over the years though the web technology has changed a lot since my last one so it might be a lot harder then it used to be. I also dont know tcgplayer's information policy or if you would worry about it for something like that. (Could be a grey area though some places would take scraping their prices as free advertising.)

I think my current plan is to trust the prices that show up in the studio and then see how it works out on ebay. Yeah weekly supply and demand makes a difference but itl be interesting to see what happens. Might atleast be able to figure out a ebay market value is like 20% of studio or whatever.

Still helps for a ballpark. Thanks!
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:37 am

Scrapping is not a good think to be done. I don't want MTG Studio to be associated with gray areas you know.

So far I use public interfaces for magictraders.com and abugames.com.
I intend and already agreed on doing custom for MTG Studio interfaces with thewizardscupboard.com and blackborder.com.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Bugs (MTG Studio)