Couple Suggestions

Report a MTG Studio bug you have spotted or ask for help

Moderator: gaddlord

Couple Suggestions

Postby tumbleweed62592 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:00 pm

I've been using MTG Studio for quite a while, but there are a few things about it that are just annoying. They're small, but they're usability features that are lacking.

1. When searching, the search should loop. That is, if I search "sliver queen" in the card pool, but it returns "Sliver Queen, Brood Mother", it should loop back to the beginning when I press Find Next and direct me to the card "Sliver Queen."

2. When searching with the quick searchbar, pressing enter a second time should function the same as the Find Next feature. If I search for "llanowar", but don't get the card I want, I should be able to press enter and it will go to the next card with llanowar in the title.

3. Not a big issue, but live searching would be pretty helpful. Whether it be like MWS where it directs you through the database as you type, or like iTunes for example, where the card pool is narrowed as you type more. A feature like that would be awesome.

4. Making the abilities filter searchable. There's such a vast number of abilities, and it can be hard to find the one you want. A search function would be nice.

Just a few little nit-picky things about the searching that would be nice to see implemented (1&2 especially).
tumbleweed62592

Postby Keiser » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:34 pm

#3 is definitely in, if you highlight the first entry and start typing the name of a card it will live search.

#4 not sure what you mean by "abilities filter" but if you mean the rules text on the card (the bottom portion where it says First Strike, Trample, Flying, etc.) that is searchable and it's easily the best method for me to build decks around certain synergies and combos. Biggest time saver when trying to make decks.
Search dropdown->Filter Top/Bottom
Search fields have ONLY "Text" checked.
For instance if you then put:
sacrifice, land
under the AND heading, you would only get cards that have both sacrifice and land in the rules text.
Keiser

Postby gaddlord » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:09 pm

1. When searching, the search should loop. That is, if I search "sliver queen" in the card pool, but it returns "Sliver Queen, Brood Mother", it should loop back to the beginning when I press Find Next and direct me to the card "Sliver Queen."

I will check if this can be achieved.

2. When searching with the quick searchbar, pressing enter a second time should function the same as the Find Next feature. If I search for "llanowar", but don't get the card I want, I should be able to press enter and it will go to the next card with llanowar in the title.

Sounds like a good suggestion to me. I can try to implement it sooner or later.
Btw, are you aware of the Ctrl+Up, Ctrl+Down keys. After you have searched to Sliver Queen you can press Ctrl+Down to search for the next match or Ctrl+Up to return to the previous one.

3. Not a big issue, but live searching would be pretty helpful. Whether it be like MWS where it directs you through the database as you type, or like iTunes for example, where the card pool is narrowed as you type more. A feature like that would be awesome.

It is already present. There is a screenshot of how to use it in the MTG Studio help. Open the help file by pressing F1 in MTG Studio. navigate to the topic MTG Studio | Deck Editor | FAQ and read the second frequently asked question "I can't find card quick as in Magic Suitcase...".
There is an "Example" button which upon being pressed shows a screenshot of the live search.

4. Making the abilities filter searchable. There's such a vast number of abilities, and it can be hard to find the one you want. A search function would be nice.

Currently the Abilities tree is searchable again using live search - just select a node from the tree and start typing. I would recommend not to use it (since it is not constantly updated) but instead use the suggested by Keiser way (using the Filter dialog and typing directly your filter criteria).
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Bugs (MTG Studio)