new user, general interface questions

Report a MTG Studio bug you have spotted or ask for help

Moderator: gaddlord

new user, general interface questions

Postby ziffel » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:26 am

/intro

Hi, I'm new MTGS, and actually new to Magic itself. I got suckered into purchasing twin licenses for MWS :( :oops: Not realizing until after the fact that the app was 5 YEARS DEAD. Before I was even sent the regcodes, I asked that dev for a refund. He ignored me and sent the regcodes anyway. He never responded to my requests.

So I went on to use MWS as a database for my card collection, but it crashes constantly, and if I forget to save, I can lose a lot of work. So I eat the $40 and go about looking for a replacement, which brings me here. I made sure that the app was still active!

/intro

My first desired use for MTGS is as a database for my collection. I've managed to get the master db into the top part, and I imported my MWS db into MTGS, so I can see that on the bottom part.

My question is about finding cards in the master db, and then adding them to my collection? What is the fastest and easiest way to do this? There's a bar that says 'click here to define a card filter'. But if i click on that bar it just seems to highlight one of the cells. (I was expecting a text box to type in). After fiddling, it seems that it sometimes will turn into a text box, but the behavior seems erratic, and a bit odd.

Can i please get directions on how best to get a card from the master db to my personal db?

Thanks!

and btw, great great job on making MWS users have a very easy time moving over. Loved that I could import my MWS db, and love that MTGS auto-finds the card picture files in the MWS folder! impressive!
ziffel

Postby Gondulf » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:46 am

If you paid for MWS via PayPal, you can go through them for a refund. That's what I did.
Gondulf

Postby gaddlord » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:29 pm

I made sure that the app was still active!

Yes, MTG Studio is still active. It had a 3 days downtime of its web site due to hosting issues but it has never been abandoned since its start on Aug 14, 2003.

Can i please get directions on how best to get a card from the master db to my personal db?

Adding a card from card pool to collection requires 2 steps
1. Find the card you seek
2. Add it to collection

1. Find a card you seek can be done in one of the following ways
- Focus the card pool and start typing the first letters of the card. The focus will move from one card to another as you type. You can use Ctrl+Up, Ctrl+Down to navigate through the cards which match the typed prefix. Lets assume that we are searching for "Raging Goblin". As you type you will see the typed symbols in blue background. This search is called Incremental Search. See the screenshot below:

- you can also use the filter box just above the card pool and type the name of the card you are seeking for. It has autocompletion and typing the first few letters is usually enough. See the screenshot below.

- you can also use the Filter (called by selecting Search|Filter or pressing F3). Than choose "Card Name" as search filed and type part of the name in the "Search Text" box. Press Apply or OK when ready. It should look something like this:

- you can also use the Advanced Filter from Search menu (which I recommend only to seasoned users due to its complexity) by setting up the following:

2. Add the card to collection
- you can select the Cards|Add to Collection menu or simply press the toolbar icon. See the screenshot below

- you can press Ins, or the "+" from the Numeric pad, F8 or F15

- or you can right click over the desired card and select "Add to Collection"

- or you can select a card and press Enter

I hope you find this useful.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby ziffel » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:10 pm

I hope you find this useful.

Useful? I find it amazing! That is officially the best reply I've ever received from a dev in helping a customer. Thank you very much for the details, it was exactly what I needed.

I'm very impressed!

edit: gaddlord, is there a way to jump between the main db and my collection db with the keyboard? thanks
ziffel

Postby gaddlord » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:40 am

gaddlord, is there a way to jump between the main db and my collection db with the keyboard?

- Yes, you can do that by pressing F12 which toggles the focus of Card Pool|Deck|Collection.

- or you can use the View|Toggle Card Pool/Deck/Collection menu. See the screenshot below:

GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Bugs (MTG Studio)