Update how Foreign Language cards are tracked.

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Update how Foreign Language cards are tracked.

Postby bdaddy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:35 pm

Foreign language cards can be tracked in our database easier and they do not need their own set. We already have a check box for foils, a check box for foreign language can be added along with a box where we can enter what language it is. This easy change will allow us to be able to correctly see what is foreign and we can then sort for it inside of our collection instead of having a superfluous set that has not been updated in years.
bdaddy
Mage
Mage

Re: Update how Foreign Language cards are tracked.

Postby CptDobey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:02 am

I'm not sure to understand.
Sets like "Rennaissance" only exist in French. Why do I have to tell the program "it is foreing, it is french" ?

If the set exists both in English and other language: do we have one entry in the database, with the name in english (and then, I have to know the english card name) or do we have multiple entries ? (Just 1 line with "Fork" or 2 lines with "Fork" and "Fourche" ) ?

By the way, it would be easier to read your posts if you hit "enter" at some well-chosen key-places . This easy change will allow us to be able to correctly see your posts :P
Please, note that I'm not a member of MtG-Studio team.
CptDobey

Postby Moosesjr » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:47 pm

If I remember correctly, Renaissance was printed in three languages, Italian, German, and French. You would still need a drop down to say which set it is from. It was a reprint set for only those countries to include cards that were never printed in their languages. They included the original set symbols not a special renaissance symbol and can be included in the original sets they are from as a foreign language.

If you look in the database the ones that are included are in English with the edition and language in brackets.

I do not know how to have them in the collection, but as it sits now they are not updated and have not been in a long time. I personally think they should be taken out or updated in only one huge set. They way that they are now is incomplete and onerous.
Moosesjr

Postby CptDobey » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:26 pm

Moosesjr wrote:If I remember correctly, Renaissance was printed in three languages, Italian, German, and French.

It doesn't matter. Only the fact it does not exist in English is important for my example ;)

Maybe, a simple drop down list-box, with the language - defaulted to English - is enough.
CptDobey

Postby bdaddy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:31 pm

CptDobey wrote:
Moosesjr wrote:If I remember correctly, Renaissance was printed in three languages, Italian, German, and French.

It doesn't matter. Only the fact it does not exist in English is important for my example ;)

Maybe, a simple drop down list-box, with the language - defaulted to English - is enough.

I hope that you read the whole post by Moosesjr. It is a reprint set without its own symbol. Just like chronicles was. It would not be under its own set but can be under the original set.
bdaddy
Mage
Mage

Postby CptDobey » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:53 am

Yes I do read it... I know what Renaissance is. I bought pack of Renaissance, the year it was released...

This is misleading. From a collector point of view, Renaissance "legend" have nothing in common with the real stuff, exactly has Italian legends are not the real stuff. The collector want the real stuff, in English, not some reprints in foreign language.

If you mix Renaissance with Legend, Arabian, Antiquities... And also add Italian Legend to the mix... This is pretty confusing.

It also mean, you have to be very careful to the value associated with each card. Italian, or Renaissance legend do not have exactly the same value as the real ones.

From my point of view, you can mix Italian Legend and English ones, because they were sold as this "Legend". But Renaissance and Chronicles need to have their own set... because they were sold as this: Renaissance and Chronicle.
CptDobey

Postby gleavitt » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:02 pm

Agreed. Renaissance and Chronicles where distinctly different distributions and should be a distinctly different Edition than the original versions of the cards they reprinted. If the foreign language tag doesn't apply to a set, just don't use it.
gleavitt
Warlock
Warlock

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)