Critique of database

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Re: Critique of database

Postby bdaddy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:21 pm

gaddlord wrote:I am working on adding some missing sets and promos as we speak. In fact I admit that the last months some set and promos come in delay.

Yet if we speak of professionalism does not measure with the number of cards supported. If that was the measure you should be aware that MTG Studio is by far the most richest in terms of cards Deck and Collection editor. Here are the numbers of a of today 03 Jan 2016:

Number of supported cards
33711 - MTG Studio
28662 - Magic Workstation
15440 - Gatherer
26957 - MTG Collection Builder
26737 - MTG Online
27067 - Magic Assistant
23917 - Magic Homebrew
15106 - Forge

Yet I agree on the point that the set updates for recently released sets and promos should come first in priority and released as soon as possible.

The number of cards supported is incorrect and over inflated. It is inflated because of the following:

1: It includes unopened theme decks, play mats, boxes and whatever else is found under PAC (Packs & Boxes) edition, along with a magic gear edition as well.
2: It is also bloated due to including MTGO cards which are in the database even though they are already tracked through MTGO.
3: The number is also inflated by improperly including over 300 cards under the Duels of the Planeswalker set (this set was 5 60 card decks with doubles already, which without there being double would only be 300 cards not 605). 4: Having foreign language cards as their own set also inflates the numbers since they are already in the database somewhere else. The foreign language can be done by making a check box for the card just like foil that we can hit and then choose a language from a drop down menu. This set alone includes over 1100 cards that has not been updated in a long time by itself and can be updated in the way that I stated.

If you would take out those items which are not actual paper cards or are superfluous , i.e. foreign language, you would be down almost 4100 cards which would put you at 29624 cards. This would still make you the one who supports the most cards, but you would be less than 3000 away from the next 4 biggest card databases.

If you want to include foreign language and digital cards in the database, then there should be an option to say whether they should be included in the edition availability report at all, along with packs and magic gear and the like. The Missing Set Cards report should also say how many of the cards that we have are foil in a separate column instead of under Qty as it is now.
bdaddy
Mage
Mage

Postby gaddlord » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:53 pm

Again valid points bdaddy. Your math is right.

Anyway I am currently working on:

1. finishing the hosting provider migration
2. DD3
3. C15
4. Promos

I do believe that addressing the major missing sets, the support for colorless mana cost, and decent recent promos will put MTGS back in business.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:29 pm

In order to be able to easily track you requests please file separate forum threads for each suggestions. Such as

1. Remove PAC set support
2. Remove Magic Gear set support
3. Remove MTGO sets support
4. Add Foil column tracking
5. Update Foreign Languages set easy

etc. more com

I am not saying I will agree with all suggestions. Some of them make much sense and are quite and others have history behind or are complex to implement.

Thank you for your extra effort.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Previous

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)