master database ideas

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

master database ideas

Postby gleavitt » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:30 am

I'm returning to the MTG scene after a 10-11 year break because my daughter is old enough to play now and expressed interest in learning. I used Magic Suitcase back in my day and did a lot of data entry on my own when official support from its author had waned. This time around, I had considered just writing my own database from the ground up so I could tweak and code it the way I like, but I wasn't looking forward to the raw data entry aspect of doing that. I came across MTG Studio in my search, and it has a very similar feel to Magic Suitcase with a lot of features I really like. Thanks for continuing to developing it. I bought a registered version of it this morning.

One of the big projects my daughter and I are working on is to catalog my old collection along with the new cards we are getting. There are a few features I'd like to see added to MTG Studio, but I'm not having very good luck with the "Request a Feature" site. It seems to hang when I click the "Post Idea" button and I don't see any of my suggested ideas on the list afterward, so I'm pretty sure they aren't getting submitted. I apologize if it violates some community standard to submit ideas here, but I didn't see anything against it and the forums seem pretty quiet overall, anyway.

1. The popup confirmation screen when adding a card to the collection database from the master database is very annoying. When I add a new card to my collection the first time, it's smooth, but every new card I add after the first opens that confirmation popup screen asking my to click 'yes', 'no' or 'cancel.' I realize it could be useful in certain situations (such as adding a new foil card to your collection when you already have the normal card listed), but it really gets in the way when trying to process a large volume of new cards. Yeah, it only takes a second to click the yes button or press the enter key again for the default 'yes' button, but those seconds start to add up. Am I missing an option someplace to disable it? If not, this would be a great feature to add.

2. A new column in the master database coded for release date would be very helpful in filtering and sorting. For example:
Alpha | 199308
Beta | 199310
Avacyn Restored | 201205
Magic 2013 | 201207
This would make it possible to sort the card list by name but always put the newest or oldest card version at the top of the list. It would also make it easier to filter for cards newer or older than a specific release date. I file my cards in their boxes this way and it would really help if I could just scroll down the list while cataloging my collection instead of jumping up and down the list when I come to a card that has been reprinted many times.

3. A new column in the master database to categorize the nature of an expansion. There is a lot of white noise in the master base with a legitimate base or expansion sets intermingled with what I consider novelty sets focused more on marketing. For example:
Alpha | Core
Beta | Core
Magic 2013 | Core
Ice Age | Expansion
Mirage | Expansion
Tempest | Expansion
Chronicles | Reprint
Anthologies | Reprint
Renaissance | Reprint
Duel Decks: Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas | Unitary
Premium Deck Series: Graveborn | Unitary
Commander | Unitary
Beatdown | Unitary
Unglued | Banned
Unhinged | Banned
World Championship Deck: 1999 | Banned
These categories would make it easier to filter for the true expansion and core sets while still including the "gimmick" sets for the sake of completeness. Off the top of my head some of the category choices should include:
Core : The base sets like Alpha, Beta, Revised, Fourth Edition, Magic 2010, etc.
Expansion: The 3-set cycle expansion sets like Tempest, Stronghold, Exodus, Ravnica Revisited, etc.
Reprint: The unlimited reprint sets that sold in booster packs like Chronicles, Anthologies, Renaissance, etc.
Unitary: Unlimited reprint sets that are sold entirely as a set in one boxed unit instead of booster packs. They may be reprints but often have unique artwork, expansion symbols, or occasionally new cards. Examples include the 'From the Vault' series, Duel Decks, Commander, or anything sold entirely as a single box set which has identical cards in every box.
Banned: Sets with nonwhite, nonblack borders marking them as unplayable in all DCI sanctioned tournaments. Examples include Unglued, Unhinged, or the World Championship Deck series.
Promotional: Unique cards given out individually such as prerelease cards, judge gifts, Vanguard, over sized, or Friday Night Magic cards
I'm sure there are some other useful categories I overlooked or I don't know about yet, but I think this is enough information to get my point across. This is basically provides an easy means to filter for the main sets. I realize you can already do this to a degree with the current filter function, but it is much easier to say, "select * from db where descriptor = 'expansion'" than "select * from db where expansion = 'tp' or expansion = 'ex' or ...". Alternatively, a feature allowing me to nest saved filter files into the advanced filter function so I don't have to retype them every time I want a new filter rule would be workable, but I think the new column idea is the simpler of the two.

Thanks again.

G
gleavitt
Warlock
Warlock

Re: master database ideas

Postby CptDobey » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:41 am

Hello,

For your first point, instead of clicking the "yes" button, you can hit return. "Yes" is the default button, so it does the trick. This way, you can keep adding cards to your collection and keep your hands on the keyboard.
Please, note that I'm not a member of MtG-Studio team.
CptDobey

Postby gleavitt » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:22 am

Yeah. It's still an annoyance however, since my fingers are faster than the UI. I still end up waiting many times for the screen to render between presses, and it would just be better if I could disable it all together.
gleavitt
Warlock
Warlock

Postby gaddlord » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:30 am

1. The popup confirmation screen when adding a card to the collection database from the master database is very annoying.

This has been a great pain for me since - there are two clans of people who need it and such which don't. And if it is an option if becomes - how should I know it exists and maintenance trouble.

A new column in the master database coded for release date would be very helpful in filtering and sorting.

Sorting can be achieved now. Sorting by Edition Abbreviation column actually works by sorting by the release dates of the editions.
Filtering you can already do from Filter screen where the sets are again sorted by their release date - the most recent are on top.
I won't be adding a separate column since it would add more to the memory consumption of the app.

3. A new column in the master database to categorize the nature of an expansion.

We do have a column called Product Type which currently has:

Starter - Starter 2000, Starter 1999, Portal Three Kingdoms, ....
Advanced - Magic 2013, Magic 2012
Expert - Return to Ravnica, Avacyn Restored, Dark Ascension
Special - Izzet VS Golgari, From the Vault: Realms, Planechase (2012 Edition)

Vote for this at http://mtgstudio.uservoice.com/forums/16948-mtg-studio-suggestions/suggestions/3197013-sort-by-product-type
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)