M13 - New User Queries

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

M13 - New User Queries

Postby Mizpah » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:02 am

Hi Folks!

Please forgive the basic questions -- these are from the perspective of an entirely new player here, starting with this (seasons ?) M13 release.

As a first step I am trying to catalouge the cards I have bought - I suspect this software is the way to go, so I have downloaded the trial, however I (think!?) that I need version 3.00 beta to catalouge and index M13 cards? So the questions are:

Is there a good overview of the process of using the software to best effect for a new player ?
i.e. create card pool, create indivual decks, check decks with the analyzer tools (what exactly are we looking for here) etc etc. I appreciate its a lot of ground to cover, but most of the information I can find in the forum seems to be direct responses to specific questions. I don't see much of a how to, i.e. "this is what you can do with our software , this is why you want to do so, and this is how to do so"

For inputing a decent size card pool from M13, is there a best route ? (a booster box's worth + deckbuilder pack)

Where can I download the beta version mentioned in the wiki ? If it's not available yet, will I be able to just create a .csv of card names and import them later ?

Sorry for all of the questions, I can see what appears to be a good tool here and I want to make sure I get the most out of it during the trial so I can fairly decide if I want to purchase it!

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Mizpah
Mizpah
Apprentice

Re: M13 - New User Queries

Postby Weevil » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi Mizpah,

MTG Studio is indeed an awesome piece of software for cataloging, organizing and deckbuilding of cards. Gaddlord appears to have taken a bit of a hiatus from the forums so I'll answer what I can. :)

- Version 3.0 was just released that includes M13. Software updates after a new expansion typically come 1-2 weeks later. It was nice surprise to get 3.0 just a few days after M13 launched!

- For booster boxes and random cards, there isn't really any easy way to input them. When I open booster boxes, I typically organize them first by color and card to make it easier to input. When inputting multiples of the same card in the Collection from Card Pool, you can either double-click on the card multiple times in the Collection (and having to click OK on a popup each time after the first) or add it once and then go to your Collection and manually increase the number (which is what I do).

-For predefined sets (like the duel decks, starter decks, etc.) I think that the software might have predefined decks for those that you can add...not sure.

-What I love about the software is being able to build a deck without needing to go through all my cards by hand first (Deck from Collection). Once I've built the deck and like it, then I go find my cards. In Deck From Collection, you do have to create a name for the deck first (File->New) and then save it when you are done. You can also have multiple decks opened at the same time and they are tabbed across the bottom.

- Once you've built a deck, a good tool is under File->Statistics. From here you get a lot of breakdowns of your deck. You can also go through a number of random starting hands to see how the decks starts out.

That's just a starter of things - feel free to ask more questions!! It really is an awesome piece of software.
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Re: M13 - New User Queries

Postby gaddlord » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:08 am

Hello Mizpah,

welcome to the wonderful world of Magic.

Indeed MTG Studio become so diverse and complex so it became a bit hardcode and not very newcomer friendly.

For booster boxes and random cards, there isn't really any easy way to input them.

There isn't an easy Add Bosster feature. It is something which resembles another popular request Add Cards from Set feature.

As far as addig random cards is concerned it is more easy then expected. Just start typing the first letters of the card of choice and the card grid will start mvoging towards the closest suggestion. Click over the top grid and try typing "Fork" to experience it yourself.

For predefined sets (like the duel decks, starter decks, etc.) I think that the software might have predefined decks for those that you can add...not sure.

Look at Start menu | All Programs | PalmROOT | MTG Studio 3.0 | My Decks fodler. It should contain Duel Decks and another couple thousand decks. Open the deck of choice, select all cards in it (Ctrl + A) and add the selection to your collection (Add Card to Collection menu). With few steps you would be able to add a a whole DVD deck to your collection.

Is there a good overview of the process of using the software to best effect for a new player ?

I started writing this manual http://mtgstudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual it is mostly structure there. I can use your unawareness of the software as a kick to start answering such questions. Please file separate forum threads for each question you have (such as What is Manalyzer), can I create a token myself, etc.

For inputing a decent size card pool from M13, is there a best route ? (a booster box's worth + deckbuilder pack)

I would suggest you open all boosters and packs. Sort the physical cards by Collector Number.
Then use the F3 filter to filter the Card Pool by Magic 2013 set.
Order the cards by the "No" column
Going through the physical cards scroll through the Card Pool grid and press Enter for each card you own.

Where can I download the beta version mentioned in the wiki ?

The final 3.0 is out. Downloads are always available at http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx

If it's not available yet, will I be able to just create a .csv of card names and import them later ?

Check the structure of the ImportCollection.csv in your MTG Studio installation folder. Fill the file and use File | Import | Collection | Generic CSV Format feature.

Sorry for all of the questions, I can see what appears to be a good tool here and I want to make sure I get the most out of it during the trial so I can fairly decide if I want to purchase it!

All of your questions are welcome. This is what this forum is about. ;)
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)