Multiplayer - Rule checking???

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Multiplayer - Rule checking???

Postby Elessar » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:51 pm

Hi,

It will have automatic rule checking and this will be equivalent to having a judge on the table. In the future AI will also be done.

What do you mean with that? It will work like mtgonline that the program doesnt let us do an action or it only will show us the rules of that card.

And where it will be ready??

Thanks
www.mtgspain.net - The best web in spanish
Elessar

Automatics

Postby gaddlord » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:33 am

Yes, thats exactly what I mean. Sertainly this (Judge on Table) option can be switched off.

When ready?
Hmm. The most sincere answer is "I don't know". Right now we are busy with finishing the Deck Editor. Once the Deck Editor is 100% complete the main focus will be the multiplayer. :)
But don't be disappointed (a non-public alpha version is already ready).
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Rules for online play

Postby MydKnight » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:10 pm

I am curious as to how robust the rules system will be for online play. I myself am an "old school" player. My friends and I all play the game by the old revised rules and dont much care for the new tournament rules (new mulligan style, new draw rules, "the stack", etc) I was wondering if there will be the ability to have the choice between the new tournament rules and the older rules with old timing, drawing, etc. I can understand if the answer here would be no, as the vast majority of people have no interest in this, but it would be very nice if that ability was available. Btw, you mentioned an alpha online play client...any chance of getting a copy to play with/test? And if so...does your client allow for configuration to work through a proxy or am i likley not going to be able to use it from work?
MydKnight
Apprentice

Automatic Rules

Postby gaddlord » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:44 am

Yes it will check the rules instead of you like in MTGO (as if there is a judge on the table tracking every illegal move). Illegal moves will not be allowed.

When?
The most difficult question of all.

Perhaps the first alpha version of necromancer would not have any automatics (rule checking). The next beta version will have rules for mana pool and and simplest mana producers. The next one will have activated abilities and so forth.

You can imagine how difficult it would be to write all the rules for all the cards from all the editions. And some of the cards are so complex that I assume will be "scripted" after a year or two.

Every card will have its own script (small piece of source code which is imterpreted run-time). You will be able to read (and even modify) that script. Everyone who is willing will b abale to write a script for a card which is not aleady supported and submit it to us to be included in the next version. An integrated script tool (source editor + debugger) will be included for those "capable" guys.

But, these are the plans for the future and you will have to wait a while. (soory about that ) [The lead developer of Necromancer will not be available untill 15.Sep]
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)