Multiplayer - Favourite Multiplayer

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Which is your favourite multiplayer?

MTG Online (MODO)
30%
Apprentice
5%
MWS Play
30%
OCTGN/MTG Play
No votes
Other
No votes
I don't play online.
35%

Total votes : 20

Multiplayer - Favourite Multiplayer

Postby gaddlord » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:01 am

Which is your favourite multiplayer and why?

Help us find out what really is considered worthy while playing online.

Is it the:
? speed of communication
? the availability of the card images
? the necessity of automatic rule checking
? the graphical user interface
? the fast shortcuts
? anything else...
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby cpprules » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:54 am

? the graphical user interface
? the fast shortcuts
cpprules
Mage
Mage

Postby Chad » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:28 am

The Card Images, The Rule Checking for stupid people who like to ruin games, and maybe all of the above but the card images make it a more enjoyable expieriance. Do you think Wizards of the Coast could sell blank cards with nothing but rules on them... I think not.
Chad

Postby gaddlord » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:24 am

I believe in the Freedom of Choice. I am fine with both ways of play
Apprentice style - poor UI quality - max. speed, extreme use of shortcuts
MTG Online style - very end-user visual experience, lots of missing shortcuts, extreme use of mouse

I personally like the MTG Online style, but hate the lack of key combinations.

I believe the best way is to have the best of both of these styles by runtime switching from
- Freestyle Mode (Apprentice Style, MWS Style, MTG Play)
- Judge on Table Mode (MTG Online)

This will give the user the possibility to choose what is best for him. The newbies will prefer the "Judge on Table Mode" since this will not allow them to make stupid mistakes. The Magic experts will prefer the "Freestyle Mode" which will allow them to make omplicated combinations like Timeswaps.

As far as the card images are concerned - again I think the best way is to allow the user to choose whether the card to be represented in

- Shandalar Duel mode (a wider rectangle with cropped image and name and PT on it),
- MWS mode (a small rectangle with the wole card rendered, the rules and PT not correctly seen),
- MTG Online Mode (a large self resizing card with the whole card rendered)
- or even a custom mode, the user chooses which card characteristics he/she would like to see and where they to be positioned. Something like Card Visual Designer.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby RNCybergate » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:26 pm

I believe the best way is to have the best of both of these styles by runtime switching from
- Freestyle Mode (Apprentice Style, MWS Style, MTG Play)
- Judge on Table Mode (MTG Online)

I like the MTGO Interface the most.
The cards in the Apprentice interface are too small (and this is not allowed to happen to mtg studio)

The Automatic judge of MTGO is also very important.

This is what I said in another forum:

Now all thats left is to make the multiplayer just as efficent, automatic and easy to use as the one used at MTGO...once that is done MTGO.... and the rest, can (quite literally) pack up!! :twisted:

I would always take MTGO before Apprentice...even if I had to buy all of the cards again...If I play I want it to work...well. :)
RNCybergate
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby MisMatch » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:35 am

personally i like the MTGO GUI
sure you use the mouse a lot, but i prefer using the mouse a bit more then using keyboard shortcuts which i cant remember ;)

MTGO with better cardimages would be a good basis to start with :)
MisMatch
Mage
Mage

Postby digzor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:04 am

While I do like the "idiot-proofness" of MODO, I prefer MWS Play. For one - I own tons of physical cards and don't want to have to invest in MODO cards as well.

Plus, I like the flexibility to play the game and force myself to understand the way rules play out. I feel if you can't figure out how the game works enough to use a tool like MWS Play, you'll never be able to truly experience the depth of the game. While it's certainly true that MWS Play won't help you learn that portion of the game, it doesn't dumb it down for you either.

Additionally, I agree with Gad - hotkeys are essential to my enjoyment of the game online. I can certainly use a mouse, but so many things are repetitive and mouse clicking is so much slower than hotkeys. One of the features I love about MTG Studio is the fully customizable hotkeys.
Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
digzor

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:09 am

Hobby shops do not have autmotic rules checker. Sometimes there is a judge on site, but usually player regulate the rules themselves. But in an online community, people try bolder things because there is no chance of physical confrontation. This allows for people who would not cheat in a face to face game to break the rules intentionally online. Taking the option to cheat away from gamers will improve user satisfaction.
Ender
Apprentice

Postby gurocat » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:32 am

Things that are important (to me) for multiplayer:

1) A lobby / game browser.
Really, this is vital. Not everyone has a regular group they can swap IPs with, and even if you do it's nice to mix it up by playing strangers from time to time. The system in MWS would be okay, but something like the one implemented for LackeyCCG would be ideal.

2) A good text chat function, to allow you to easily talk to your opponent during the game.
Ideally, something akin to IRC allowing multiple channels to be open at once. It would be nice to have shortcuts for the most common phrases, too.

3) Some kind of grid for cards to snap to in play.
Sounds minor, but it really helps keep things organized. The lack of this is primarily why I voted for MWS rather than LackeyCCG (which I notice isn't even an option in the poll?)

4) Oracle card text
It's all well and good to have the original card art, but on older cards especially this can be seriously confusing.

5) Support for 3+ players
Doesn't have to be fancy. The way LackeyCCG handles this is a good example, I think.

6) Stability
Kind of goes without saying, but this is much more important than speed.

Things that are NOT important:

1) In-built rules enforcement.
I realize I'm probably in a minority with this one, but frankly if you're going to the trouble of finding a 3rd party online magic emulator, chances are good that you at least know how to play.
gurocat
Apprentice

Postby Azul » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Online PlayTable - OPT (PC)
http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Onlin ... able_-_OPT

It's aiming to be just like MWS. There aren't any official servers yet but you can host your own. The developer is going to have a theming contest once the game is a little further along.

Notable Features: Draft, Sealed, Multiplayer, Momir Basic, Solitaire Mode, Updates via Menu Item, Fully Manual

Wagic the Homebrew (PC, PSP)
http://wololo.net/wagic/faq/

A homebrew Magic game against a CPU opponent. The game features full rules enforcement, but as a downside it doesn't support every card. It still supports several thousand unique cards though. You can build up credits in game to purchase more cards to add to your collection, or just use MTG Studio to make a deck.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)