Card art bulk?

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Card art bulk?

Postby A1exander1 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:06 am

Hey everyone, due to internet bandwidth issues I usually have to do most of my downloading away from home, so I was wondering is there a place I can go to download all the card art from say one all inclusive zip? If so could one help lead me to said place. Thanks a ton! As well I'm a new, registered user so all help, questions are certainly welcome. I look forward to becoming part of the community.

A1
A1exander1
Apprentice

Postby A1exander1 » Sat May 21, 2011 6:23 am

Ok, so just an observation, it seems as though whenever I click on a card from the card pool a second later the image appears. My question is this, whenever I'm connected to the internet and the program is open, is the program grabbing images from the internet for all of the cards, or do I have to specifically click on a card then the image is acquired? If this be the case is there a way to highlight all of the cards and have all the artwork download simultaneously? Some must know, if you don't feel comfortable responding one the forum directly shoot me a pm.

A1
A1exander1
Apprentice

Postby OldGreen » Mon May 23, 2011 12:02 am

Seem to me that it's only getting cards that you click on. I suspect it's a way around the 'you can't distribute the images with the software' requirement that WOTC has. If instead each card is pulled as-needed (and cached locally) then it's keeping within the spirit of the rule.
OldGreen
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby A1exander1 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:33 am

Yeah that seems to be the case, mate. I use the portable version as it's much more handy than then copying the program all over the place and have found that even after disconnecting my router from the net that the images do continue to show up for the cards that I have clicked in the past. I'm just hoping that this cache is on my portable usb key and not my pc. I have started importing my paper collection and I am impressed thus far.

What would be a nice addition is if it included a GUI binder look such as with the MTGO so that I had the option of looking through my collection and have the card scans themselves, show up rather than just the text. When adding many cards it's also annoying to have to "OK" click or enter when it always says, "Card not found in collection or pool." I mean when searching card names, who really types in the full name of the card when searching.
A1exander1
Apprentice

Postby Azul » Tue May 24, 2011 12:39 pm

Don't use the 'search' function when you're searching for cards. It's quicker to just click in the pool or collection window and start typing. It'll dynamically move you though the list as you type each letter.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Wed May 25, 2011 4:01 pm

Going back to the question. "Is there a bulk import card art utility".

The short answer is "No."

The long answer is:

We used to have our own tool called "Card Arter" in the past which consumed (bulk downloaded) images from mwsdata.com. We are not supporting it any more.

1. Card art belongs to WotC and the respective artists. Such bulk utility will attract too much attention over a subject which is not 100% legal. I sent an email once to WotC asking how I can be certified for card art scans being available on my web site (since lots of card stores do exactly the same). I never got an answer (neither positive, nor negative).

2. There were lots of scans on magicsuitcase.org but the site was closed due to that fact.

3. There was the so called MWS Picture Assistant in the past which is exactly what you need. It is not supported any more.

4. The guy who created the MWSPA now runs a very active forum for MTG card scans at http://www.slightlymagic.net/hqpics
Be sure to check it frequently and you will get all sets you need.

I hope this helps.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Azul » Wed May 25, 2011 11:15 pm

I'm not sure if there is any easy fix that you could make but here's my issue.

I have a ton of the card art downloaded for another program that uses MTG card art. I don't really want to make a second copy on my computer of all that art, so I'd just like to use a symbolic link in the Studio card directory so that it will look in the other folder for card art.

The problem is that most of the art resources I have seen are stored in folders named like TSP, DVD, GPT, M10, etc. and Studio uses folders named Timespiral, Divine vs Demonic, Guildpact, etc. so I cannot have it use the card images without copying each set over by hand.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Thu May 26, 2011 7:51 am

Azul wrote:I don't really want to make a second copy on my computer of all that art, so I'd just like to use a symbolic link in the Studio card directory so that it will look in the other folder for card art.

MTG Studio can use external folders. Go to Tools|Options|Card Art and add the external folder.

The problem is that most of the art resources I have seen are stored in folders named like TSP, DVD, GPT, M10, etc. and Studio uses folders named Timespiral, Divine vs Demonic, Guildpact, etc. so I cannot have it use the card images without copying each set over by hand.

MTG Studio supports both full set names like "Magic 2010" but also abbreviations like "M10". For full list of abbreviations supported check http://mtgstudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Supported_Editions.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Azul » Thu May 26, 2011 10:16 am

Hey thanks, I forgot about that.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby A1exander1 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:59 am

Alright folks, the suggestions offered helped tremendously. I've been using the program like crazy since I paid for a license. It makes deck building a lot easier than sifting through all my cards physically. However it wasn't fun databasing 6k cards all at once, but after that painful bit it's fine sailing from here. I'll be sure to b=post any bugs/suggestions in the proper sections of the forum.
A1exander1
Apprentice

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)