Total newb question about online play, please help freinds

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Total newb question about online play, please help freinds

Postby Rondabon » Mon May 16, 2011 8:49 pm

As I understand things, mtg studio cannot actually let you play online, or play mulitplayer on your console. Apparently, mtg studios also doesn't have the ability to do solitaire, though updates for that are "pending".

So, provided the above is correct, my question is this: can I use another open program like octgn, save your decks in the format of octgn, and then play online? Also, is multiplayer for one console, or online play for mtg studios under development?

Any help you could give would be appreciated.
The following sentence contradicts this one. The sentence preceding this one makes a good point.
Rondabon
Mage
Mage

Postby Azul » Mon May 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Magic Workstation lets you play online... though it hasn't been actively worked on in a million years and they are still charging money for it.

I've been using onlineplaytable for the last little while. It is free but doesn't have any official servers up yet. I hosted my own for awhile using the server program... it even let me play a little Momir Basic.

http://www.onlineplaytable.com/
http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Onlin ... able_-_OPT

You can save the file in Magic Workstation format I believe... OPT can read those.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Rondabon » Mon May 16, 2011 11:16 pm

Now, does OPT already come with a set of magic images?
The following sentence contradicts this one. The sentence preceding this one makes a good point.
Rondabon
Mage
Mage

Postby Rondabon » Tue May 17, 2011 4:19 am

What is that format? And how would I do that? Are you sure that opt can read that format, if not how would I find out?
Rondabon
Mage
Mage

Postby Azul » Tue May 17, 2011 10:24 am

OnlinePlayTable is like a number of magic programs... it doesn't ship with card images out of the box because they are copyrighted so they would end up getting shut down. You can usually find big packs of card images though on bittorrent... the ones that work with Magic Workstation work fine with OPT.

OPT can't read the Magic Studio deck files, but if you save your Studio decks in Magic Workstation format or a couple of other options then OPT will be able to load them.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Rondabon » Tue May 17, 2011 3:01 pm

How do I save my decks in MWS format? I've never used MWS or mtg studio. That's perfect though, I just want to use mtg studio to search for cards and mae decks, and use some other program to play online. That's all I want.
Rondabon
Mage
Mage

Postby Azul » Tue May 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Go to 'save as' and select Magic Workstation files (.mwdeck)

I've heard of a lot of people using Cockatrice these days too. Be aware that none of these options have rules enforcement. You're going to have to manually run the game like you do in paper.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Please Help

Postby Rondabon » Tue May 17, 2011 3:56 pm

So, I downloaded OPT, and saved my decks MWS format, then when I opened the my decks folder from mtg studio inside of OPT to load the MWS deck, it wasn't there. The folder is empty whenever I open it from OPT.
Rondabon
Mage
Mage

Postby Azul » Tue May 17, 2011 4:14 pm

I'm not quite sure what is going on there then.
I just took one of my old decks and saved it as a '.mwdeck' file and opened it up in OPT.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Rondabon » Tue May 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Geese, that's the last thing I wanted you to say. Something like, oh yea, that's an easy fix would have been better. You know, I'm running a virtual machine o my mac which might e why I'm having these problems. But it might also be because of my lack of windows experience, can you think of any newbie windows mistake I might be making.
Rondabon
Mage
Mage

Postby Azul » Tue May 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Yeah I don't know. I tried again just making a new deck and it seemed to work fine. Make sure you're saving as Magic Workstation (.mwDeck) and not Magic Suitcase (.mdb).

I don't know if it'll make a difference but make sure not to just name it *.mwDeck but to actually choose 'save as' mwdeck.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)