About Updating MTG Studio to the Newest Version

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

About Updating MTG Studio to the Newest Version

Postby Ertzi » Thu May 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Yay, new version!

Okay, I browsed the forum, and some people have had problems after patching, so I want to make sure I will do this correctly.

Do I just download the newest patch and start installing it on top of the old version, or do I uninstall the previous version first or delete something? Is my registration in danger in any way when the files are replaced?

I have a backup of my collection file already. I just want everything to work immediately, because I use the program daily now.
Ertzi

Postby gaddlord » Thu May 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Simply install the new version in parallel with your older one. All MTG Studio versions can co-exist togather.

Upon first start it will ask you to migrate your old Collection. Say Yes and you are done.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Ertzi » Thu May 12, 2011 6:59 pm

Okay, I'm unfortunately encountering huge problems with the new version.

First of all, here is what I did. Tell me if I did something incorrectly:
I downloaded the patch, unzipped it to a folder, then installed the 1.8.5 version to a new folder on the same drive as the previous one. This I managed to do without problems. Now I have two different versions installed, both have a shortcut on my desktop. I understood from your previous post that this is the correct way to go about it. It asked to migrate my collection, which I did. Here is where all kinds of annoying things started to happen.

First of all, the program couldn't find any card in the collection anymore. Whatever I tried to search, it said "couldn't find [card] in card pool". However, it still finds them in the upper card pool window, but it still pops up the warning every time, which I have to close every time and then click my mouse on the card if I want to add it, whereas it always found the card in the previous version and was instantly one + button away from being added.

There could be some cards missing from the card pool. I mean this COULD be a coincidence, but I never once did NOT find a card with the previous version, even after hundreds of searches. Now my 9th search couldn't find a card at all (Alliance version of Lat-Nam's Legacy).

The program won't save my settings, although it does save added cards. For example, the card picture size always reverts to the default at startup.

And the most serious thing of all, the program won't shut down even after exiting the interface. I had to ctrl-alt-del every time and shut down the process mtgstudio.exe from there, as it was secretly running in the background, even after the program seemed to close normally.

Am I the only one with such problems? And most importantly, what can I do to make them go away? The program is virtually unusable with these issues.
Ertzi

Postby Ertzi » Thu May 12, 2011 7:17 pm

I got the search thing working normally by manipulating the filters back and forth, but in the previous version the search always worked normally from the start. Lat-Nam's Legacy is indeed there, but not if I try to search immediately after starting the program. Argh, this is driving me nuts!
Ertzi

Postby gaddlord » Fri May 13, 2011 1:05 am

All of those described seem like a Write permission issues. Check if you have rights to write to the MTG Studio installation folder and try running MTG Studio as administrator.

Lat-Nam's Legacy is in the card pool and can be found by simply typing first letters of the name in the card pool. Maybe you have a filter switched on.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Fri May 13, 2011 1:18 am

I managed to reproduce it. There is something wrong when the application is closing and it stays in memory. Working on this...
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Ertzi » Fri May 13, 2011 7:40 am

The good thing is I can keep using the 1.8.4 version, because the collection files are compatible. So I'll just give you time to figure out the possible glitches, while I keep adding cards to my collection. I don't have NPH cards yet, so the previous version works fine for me. It has actually been perfect (never any single issue with that version), and if there is a way to add NPH cards to it, I can probably even skip the 1.8.5 and wait for the next one (if I keep encountering problems with it).
Ertzi

Postby gaddlord » Fri May 13, 2011 4:29 pm

Still fighting with the problem. Seems like the error is

Exception EExternalException in module mtgstudio.exe at 021DF1D0.
External exception C000001E.

which is present only in Release mode. I cannot reproduce it in Debug mode which slows the resolution.

Will keep you posted on the progress.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Sat May 14, 2011 1:26 pm

The issue is resolved and new 1.8.6 version has been released. More on the topic at http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1530
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Ertzi » Mon May 16, 2011 11:59 am

Great, thanks for fixing the issue!

By the way, when I eventually have several parallel MTG Studios installed in different places, can I simply uninstall all the older versions, and only keep the newest one? Or do I have to keep them all around for some reason? Not that they use a lot of disk space but still...
Ertzi

Postby gaddlord » Mon May 16, 2011 3:44 pm

You can uninstall any of them without affecting the other installations.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Azul » Mon May 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Maybe it wouldn't meet your requirements, but I have switched over to the portable version of Studio. Then I never have to worry about installing at all. I just dump the contents of the file into the old directory. I think I've actually got the whole program in my dropbox folder right now so that I can sync the whole thing with my laptop at all times.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Ertzi » Tue May 17, 2011 3:17 pm

The portable version actually sounds like a handy thing to use. Is there any reason not to use both? And is the portable version different in any way? If it's exactly the same, I don't really understand why one would even use any other version. I just didn't even know such a thing was possible before I installed the regular version. I could easily change to the portable version, especially because the Dropbox installation seems like a wise play. My collection is already there of course. Don't feel like manually entering thousands of cards a second time.
Ertzi

Postby Azul » Tue May 17, 2011 3:43 pm

As far as I know the portable collection is fully self-contained. It doesn't put folders in other parts of your computer, it just runs out of its own directory. That way you can throw it on a USB stick.

You will need to rename your collection file to -> mtgstudio_portable.collection

I can't think of any reason not to use the portable version instead... the installer is just easier on those people who are totally computer illiterate. I'm sure Gaddlord will chime in eventually if there are any reasons not to use the portable version.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Ertzi » Tue May 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Awesome, will try the portable version in the near future.

Thanks!
Ertzi

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)