Playtest a deck (in 3D with OpenGL)

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Playtest a deck (in 3D with OpenGL)

Postby gaddlord » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Here is my initial attempt for a 3D playtest with OpenGL.

For the start it just has a rotating in 3D card a tiled felt background and static text and avatar image.

Those are pretty much all basic elements required for a 3D magic software.

Sample excutable is available at http://www.mtgstudio.com/download/beta/playtest.zip

Of course this is just the begining. I will need to create menus, buttons, mana pool, deck/grave, etc. areas, drag and drop effects, discard and draw 3D effects, and lots more.

As always any comments are always welcome.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby CptDobey » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:09 am

It is running smooth on my poor laptop (with an Intel video card).
CptDobey

Postby Rondabon » Tue May 17, 2011 3:25 am

This is exaclty something I'm looking for. But you know if you made support for octgn 2 format, you could just suggest that free software to people looking to play by themselves.
The following sentence contradicts this one. The sentence preceding this one makes a good point.
Rondabon
Mage
Mage

Postby lynnxiouyu » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:02 pm

love this idea especially for playing magic with friends when i have to travel. i dont want to bring my collection with me (15k + cards) just bring my laptop and play a game....some suggestions..........which you may have thought of!?........btw im thinking of laptop vs real cards here...not virtual vs virtual...just fyi.

1: make sure you can zoom in and out of the play area/battle field you know some games last forever and others don't....some get tons of permanents out and some get none. and im no programmer but i would think zooming in and out might be ez compared to some other "view" options at your disposal.

2:defenatly need a "hide hand" option...if i play with laptop with friends they may need to look at what i have out more closely, often i would imagine.

3: and maybe even a way to place my opponents cards out into the virtual battle field on my laptop....like i have an enchantment that i cast onto one of there creatures ....i would need some kind of place to put the virtual card so i could keep track of it...like wise if they enchant my cards with something i would need to be able to place on my own cards....maybe all this would be best done with a "sticky" note applied or perhaps the ability to make a temporary blank card in-which i type a little note?

4: tools- dice rollers, coin flippers, life trackers, poison counter trackers, or maybe best just to have a field to type in or maybe a couple fields, just for taking notes....

5: sorry, thought of one more after i posted..........maybe a view inverter, or rather a view flip upside downer so i just have to lay my lap top screen down and my opponents don't need to get my laptop in there hands....IE: push button and now everything is upside down.

5.......well my last suggestion is a saying i hear all too often: "keep it simple stupid"......after all all it needs is to be linked with mtgs....calls the cards in the deck...shuffles and gives a play area ....the player can do the rest....lol please note im not calling you stupid by any strech of the phrase.....rather just stating a good practice. well i hope i helped a little. good luck and i cant wait to see this running.
lynnxiouyu
Apprentice

Postby chocbudda » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Considered WPF??

All the transitions etc can be quickly produced and easily "designed into shape" by a people with the skills!!
chocbudda

Postby gaddlord » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:38 pm

WPF - the chances I got trapped in the ".NET/DirectX/XNA/Windows only" trap are really small. OpenGL/ES is everywhere and this is the path to go for me.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)