Price & Value Not Displaying

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Postby gaddlord » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:00 am

As it stands, none of us have any way to use the software to estimate the value of our collection...which kind of defeats the purpose of "collecting" for most collectors using inventory software...

Very valid points Weevil. Indeed this was a decision I took in order to make Pick Price dialog more relevant.

I will start working today on adding both "Sell At Value" and "Market Value" columns which will close this shortcoming.
Apologies for the trouble but this is one of the deceases of the short release cycles - sometimes I have to take in order to give more on a later stage.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Weevil » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks Gaddlord!
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Postby mechanus » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Hey Gadlord, kudos on the 1.8.4 update. Whatever under-the-hood changes you did to the memory management (and possible card display?) made MTG extremely snappy. Switching between cards no longer has the lag that I've experienced since 1.8.1.

Now, just missing that mass pricing update (Sell At/Market/whatever). Heh. Donations?
mechanus
Apprentice

Postby rsmedude » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:01 pm

mechanus wrote:IIRC, you have to import the price files first from the Import wizard. You may have to run Update Prices after you import the price files (from ABU or MagicTraders). This should get you the Price column populated.

As far as the Sell At column, you'll have to click on the ellipsis and select a pricing option. I use the Smart Average to get a closer "market" value of the collection. Of course, doing this for roughly 5k unique records is a bit slow (even with the last update, there is still considerable lag (much better than the previous versions) between selecting the card and MTGS allowing you to edit the record information, at least in a virtual environment).

Sorry it took a while to get back to you guys on this. sadly this did not do the trick. :(
James D. Williams
rsmedude
Apprentice

Postby mechanus » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 pm

rsmedude wrote:
Sorry it took a while to get back to you guys on this. sadly this did not do the trick. :(

Can you be a bit more specific on the error message? What column are you looking at?

The way it currently works, when you import the pricing, and then update the pricing, the card's "price" should appear in the Price column.

I have run into certain problems with certain cards (Will-O-The-Wisp and Aerathi Berserker say hi!) with no pricing at all (not found in the price files due to naming differences), most of the variants (like the Thallid, Benalish Hero, Stromgarde Spy) will have pricing for at least the (1). You'll have to use the Sell At column for the other variants (at least that has been a common issue with variants (2) through (n) in most cases).
mechanus
Apprentice

Re: generate collection value

Postby v85rawdal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:18 am

ignore this post... was a duplicate post
Last edited by v85rawdal on Mon May 09, 2011 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
v85rawdal

Re: generate collection value

Postby v85rawdal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:19 am

If you want to get a value for your collection you can select your collection (all the cards in the bottom pane) and export it to microsoft excel. Then for the value column on the first line use a formula to multiply the price * the quantity.

So for my collection the formula is =C2*D2 where = indicates a formula in excel, C2 is the first quantity cell and D2 is the first price cell.
You can then copy this formula, and paste it in one shot across all the values cells to the end of your collection. A little bit of a nuisance, but gives you a collection value in about 2 minutes.

I think the point is we should not need to do this. This function was an integral part of the software and one of the main reasons why I purchased it. Removing it was, as far as I am concerned, not a good move, but Gaddlord has said it is going back in, but improved.

To be honest, if I wanted to use Excel to track my card collection value, I would not have purchased this software.

Speaking of this facility, would it be possible to include a price conversion process (Dollars to Pounds; Dollars to Euros) considering how much of a worldwide game Magic is.
v85rawdal

Postby gaddlord » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Forthcoming version 1.8.5 will have both Sell At Value and Market Value.

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby marcopollo » Sun May 08, 2011 9:10 am

gaddlord wrote:Forthcoming version 1.8.5 will have both Sell At Value and Market Value.

Awwwesome!

BTW, attended the pre-release this weekend. Any ETA on when the new cards will be available?

Thanks for all of the hard work!
marcopollo

Postby gaddlord » Mon May 09, 2011 2:07 pm

NPH 100% of the cards added. I am about to release 1.8.5 hopefully tonight.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Thu May 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Latest 1.8.5 has separate columns for Market and Own Prices. Download it from the Download section of mtgstudio.com
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Thu May 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Version1.8.5 has been released today.

http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1523
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby OldGreen » Sat May 28, 2011 7:01 pm

In version 2 I can now import prices, but I cannot update them (update is disabled in the menu), and my collection has no values in any of the price columns. I've tried selecting all or none of the cards, and setting the condition on a few cards, but it didn't change anything.

I am able to see the prices in the dialog if I click the Buy At or Sell At column for a given cards.

I tried it on 2 different windows 7 computers, using the thick client. One running 64bit OS, the other 32.
OldGreen
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby gaddlord » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:54 pm

update is disabled in the menu

Please make sure the active mode is "Collection from Card Pool" in order to see this menu enabled.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby sauraun » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:35 am

I just added in all my cards from the Zen set, and the prices are not coming up correctly. They are correct on ABU. The only prices showing up are for foil versions.
sauraun

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)