Price & Value Not Displaying

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Price & Value Not Displaying

Postby marcopollo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Just downloaded the latest version (Yeah!!). I noticed that the Price & Value cells are empty. I've tried importing card pricing, but that didn't seem to make any difference. Is there something additional I need to do, or is this a known bug?

Thanks in advance,

marcoPOLLO
marcopollo

Postby jradford » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:09 am

I think I have this right. Ran into the same problem last night.

After you import the prices, click on the update prices option under file.
jradford
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby marcopollo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:50 pm

jradford wrote:I think I have this right. Ran into the same problem last night.

After you import the prices, click on the update prices option under file.

Yes, that did the trick for the Price to appear, but I'm still not seeing anything under the Value column. Is anyone else?

Thanks,

pollo
marcopollo

Postby ChiTownMagicGuy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Same here. Running build 3037.
ChiTownMagicGuy
Mage
Mage

Postby gaddlord » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:20 am

The Value is calculated based on

Code: Select all
Value = Sell At * Qty

In previous versions it was

Value = Price * Qty
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby ChiTownMagicGuy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:02 am

This new method misses the mark for me. I am interested in what any individual deck (and my collection) are worth. Not what I would like to sell them/it for.

In my opinion this either should be a configurable option or there needs to be an Actual Value (Quantity * Price) and a Desired Value (Quantity * Sell At).

Is there a way to copy all of the prices from the "price" field to the "sell at" field as a stop gap solution?
ChiTownMagicGuy
Mage
Mage

Postby marcopollo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:55 pm

gaddlord wrote:The Value is calculated based on

Value = Sell At * Qty

In previous versions it was

Value = Price * Qty

So, if I understand correctly, I will need to MANUALLY enter over 10K of prices to sell at in order to view my collection value?

Seems like a lot of work. Would you consider making the sell at/price as a view option? Or give the ability for copy the price column to the sell at column?

Thanks for the program.

pollo
marcopollo

Postby gaddlord » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:52 pm

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby mechanus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:31 pm

Actually, I find the Value = Sell At * Qty extremely useful for an estimation of market value. Being able to individually tweak the value of the card (based on condition, known demand, or other features) is very nice.

However, with large collections, going through 5k+ records gets to be a bit tedious every time we update the pricing. Perhaps allow for an option to mass select the Sell At column for a pricing method preference (set all to Smart Average, for example). Editing individual outliers isn't really going to be an issue.

Being a two step process (1.- update pricing for the Price column update; 2.- mass select/update Sell At column based on a single criteria), allows at least some level of manipulation (value loss/gain, for example).
mechanus
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:01 pm

You got it all right. I plan having Market and Sell At Value separate columns.
Vote for this at http://mtgstudio.uservoice.com/forums/16948-mtg-studio-suggestions/suggestions/1610641-add-sell-at-value-and-market-value-columns?ref=title
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby mechanus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Awesome. Voted.

Just to make sure that I'm not overlooking something, there is, currently, no way to do a massive update to the Sell At column, right?
mechanus
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:44 pm

mechanus wrote:There is, currently, no way to do a massive update to the Sell At column, right?

No.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby rsmedude » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Hey guys,

I was reading this thread and I have the issue as well... However I cannot get the prices to show up at all. If I am following this correctly I should at least see the prices somewhere without doing any manual editing. Am I mistaken? If so where did you guys get the prices you have so far?
James D. Williams
rsmedude
Apprentice

Postby mechanus » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:37 pm

IIRC, you have to import the price files first from the Import wizard. You may have to run Update Prices after you import the price files (from ABU or MagicTraders). This should get you the Price column populated.

As far as the Sell At column, you'll have to click on the ellipsis and select a pricing option. I use the Smart Average to get a closer "market" value of the collection. Of course, doing this for roughly 5k unique records is a bit slow (even with the last update, there is still considerable lag (much better than the previous versions) between selecting the card and MTGS allowing you to edit the record information, at least in a virtual environment).
mechanus
Apprentice

Postby Weevil » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:35 pm

So I'm confused Gaddlord....was this change in behavior for Value something that was voted on? Or is it a decision you made? If the latter, seems kind of frustrating IMO that we have to vote on something that would be considered a regression in behavior from previous versions of the software.

As it stands, none of us have any way to use the software to estimate the value of our collection...which kind of defeats the purpose of "collecting" for most collectors using inventory software...

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the stability of the released version!
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Next

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)