Beta8

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Beta8

Postby Thingil » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:46 pm

The application is nearly perfect, thanks Gad

- What is planned with the 'value' field in collection? Its still empty.
- Importing prices is very fast. updating prices takes a long time. OK i have 8700 rows in my collection, so it's a big collection :-)
- MBS Set shows 'banned' in legality section.
- latest release and prerelease cards (MBS) are missing.
- some cards have no price. Vampire Nighthawk ZEN, Rampaging Baloths ZEN and cards from Sets that have two different Artworks for one Card. Example is: Hungry Mist (2) from HL
Thingil

Postby Moobu » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:41 am

Gad recently answered this for me via email. In order for the value column to work you now need to set a price for each card in the set price column first.
Moobu
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby Thingil » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:09 am

Moobu wrote:Gad recently answered this for me via email. In order for the value column to work you now need to set a price for each card in the set price column first.

I saw, that, but then i have to update manually each of my 8600 rows of my collection? Or can i do a mass update when i decide to add the 'smart average' Price for each card?
Thingil

Postby Schwanke » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:59 pm

I dont know the current situation but being this is beta things can always change. I hope that by the time we get the next full version there will be an option to have 'default' settings for the price information and change them manually after with the situation that if you flip a switch somewhere every card you add is added manually until you unflip it.
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:43 pm

The Price column currently is calculated as Avg on top of all cards no matter foil, language,edition, quality - and this is wrong.

In the future I plan having the ability the user to specify how Price is determined (using some custom rules).

Currently Value is calcualted as = "Sell At" * "Qty" since in "Sell At" column you have control what the value is and can change it.

I am really not clear with myself how I would like this to work. Maybe the best way will be to
- completely remove the Price column
- add Batch Update of Buy At and Sell At column with predefined user rules
- add Buy Value and Sell Value calculated from But At and Sell At columns multiplied by Qty.

Open to any suggestion.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby shmebula » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:44 pm

I downloaded and installed Beta 8 and have a few issues:
- I can't save my collection.
- It said one card in my collection is no longer in MTG Studio, and was deleted. I have no idea which card this is.
- When I add cards from the pool to my collection, the collection pops to the last alphabetical card in the list, rather than showing me the recently entered card (like it did in 1.8.2).
- All of the cards in my collection now show 2 sets. For instance, I'll see Giant Growth M10 Qty 4 and then the next line is exactly the same: Giant Growth M10 Qty 4. My entire collection is duplicated this way.

[EDIT]
Actually, I see that Abuna Acolyte is a single entry in the collection, but at least nearly all of the others are duplicated. I scanned and didn't see others.
shmebula

Postby gaddlord » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:25 pm

shmebula wrote:I can't save my collection.

There is no Save button any more. Once you make a change it is immediately saved.

It said one card in my collection is no longer in MTG Studio, and was deleted. I have no idea which card this is.

Two cards were deleted from the Card Pool since being duplicates:

26198 - PD2, Mountain (4) - reason: duplicate
25189 - Abuna Acolyte - reason: duplicate

When I add cards from the pool to my collection, the collection pops to the last alphabetical card in the list, rather than showing me the recently entered card (like it did in 1.8.2).

Fixed in forthcoming Beta 9.

All of the cards in my collection now show 2 sets. For instance, I'll see Giant Growth M10 Qty 4 and then the next line is exactly the same: Giant Growth M10 Qty 4. My entire collection is duplicated this way.

I believe you simply imported your colelction twice. I guess you either have to manually delete the duplicates or reimport it from scratch.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:12 pm

I would really rather not have the price field removed but instead have it calculate the 'market value' of the card based on user rules.

Particularly this is because you may be someone who does business by buying low and selling high so for example you might take the price value and buy at 10% less and sell at 10% more in a given 30day listing on ebay just as an example.

I think its needed to be able to know the market value and what its worth to you to buy and sell seperately.

As another example it might be that the market value turns out to be X and you watch ebay for when the price drops below X-y% because ebay is wierd and sometimes things sell lower then market value. You then buy all at that value.

You then have the situation where you might see ebay selling cards at X+z% and so you would be quick to auction some cards off at X+z%

But this would only be easy to do if you knew what X was in the first place from all the stores that arent ebay.

I myself would use the price field to determine what the market seems to think the value is and then I would use the sell at field to make a listing of what I would sell cards at. I probably would not use the buy at field currently because I dont actually buy individual cards but I might in the future if I got to dealng with more high value cards or got better at determining which cards go in and out of value when.
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby shmebula » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:25 am

gadlord, you were right - I imported twice. It's better now.

Regarding autosaving: you should probably remove the save icons (grayed out currently) and the save option in the file menu (also grayed out) in order to reduce confusion.
shmebula

Postby gaddlord » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:21 am

shmebula wrote:you should probably remove the save icons (grayed out currently) and the save option in the file menu (also grayed out) in order to reduce confusion.

I will keep them for the time being since I have ideas around support of multiple collections. :wink:
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:23 am

Schwanke wrote:I would really rather not have the price field removed but instead have it calculate the 'market value' of the card based on user rules.

Particularly this is because you may be someone who does business by buying low and selling high so for example you might take the price value and buy at 10% less and sell at 10% more in a given 30day listing on ebay just as an example.

I think its needed to be able to know the market value and what its worth to you to buy and sell seperately.

As another example it might be that the market value turns out to be X and you watch ebay for when the price drops below X-y% because ebay is wierd and sometimes things sell lower then market value. You then buy all at that value.

You then have the situation where you might see ebay selling cards at X+z% and so you would be quick to auction some cards off at X+z%

But this would only be easy to do if you knew what X was in the first place from all the stores that arent ebay.

I myself would use the price field to determine what the market seems to think the value is and then I would use the sell at field to make a listing of what I would sell cards at. I probably would not use the buy at field currently because I dont actually buy individual cards but I might in the future if I got to dealng with more high value cards or got better at determining which cards go in and out of value when.

I am interested in this idea. Schwanke please send me over email your Skype or ICQ account it you have such since I would like to speak with you. I believe there is a plenty of opportunities in your ideas around prices and would like to listen to them in person. Do you mind?
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:34 am

Sure. Will email.
---
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)