Is it possible to do a 1.8.2.2 that simply adds MBS?

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Is it possible to do a 1.8.2.2 that simply adds MBS?

Postby Weevil » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:39 pm

I ask this hypothetically and out of ignorance, as I have no idea what work is involved in adding new cards to the application whenever an expansion is released. I also realize that we are likely at a "no turning back" point with all the changes that have been made to the application back end.

With that said, I know a lot of us have waited with anticipation since Besieged was released on 2/4 for it to be added to MTG Studio. While we looked forward to the numerous changes that were being made to better the application, we were also pleased with the existing application (which is why we registered!). Unfortunately, as of today we still do not have a functioning application that allows to add SoM and MBS.

I completely understand the concept of beta testing and fully support it. I for one would be a first volunteer to run a beta version on my computer. I would also likely run a released version on another computer for comparison and redundancy to protect my collection. However, tying together a major software release along with an expansion update can (and has?) caused delays. Most of us would have been happy in the interm, while we waited for the next major software release with major improvements, to simply be able to add MBS to the existing software we were using.

This brings me to my (ignorant) questions:

1) Is adding an expansion to the "old" version of the software time consuming/complex, or was there a streamlined way to do it?

2) Was it even possible to do #1 with MBS, or had the old version of the software reached limitations where it would have started causing problems (such as memory/HDD footprint limitations, etc.)?

My ramblings and questions above are of an inquisitive nature and hopefully do not come across as demanding or whining. While I can follow source code to a degree, I am in no way a programmer that understands the details of writing a complex application!! :-)
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Postby Weevil » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:30 am

After reading my post, I realize it is extremely wordy and I could have simply asked how feasible it was to release a 1.8.2.2 with MBS added while 1.8.3 continues to be worked on (and tested by us). Guess I was trying to be too diplomatic. :-)
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Postby gaddlord » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:16 am

A very valid question. The short answer is:

I won't support MBS in 1.8.2 branch.

The reason behind is:
- adding sets is a manual process for me. I know I can automate it but I prefer to do it manually.
- this will create another branch of the project to support which I cannot really afford
- I better come out with a latest 1.8.3 version soon instead of kicking the dead horse (1.8.2)

Expect 1.8.3 BETA 4 soon (I am currently building it)
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Weevil » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:42 pm

Thanks Gaddlord. So - can you give us an update? Were there complications with the build process you mentioned you were performing Wednesday morning?
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Postby Ouronos » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:53 pm

gaddlord wrote:
Expect 1.8.3 BETA 4 soon (I am currently building it)

Greetings...

Not to be impatient, Gad, I know that things are pretty hectic with you; but is there an estimated release for 1.8.3 Beta 4? Tournaments and Game Day coming up. :)

Until that time...
Until that time...
-Sir Gawain Ouronos

The Rose may wilt...
...but cannot die.
...for The Rose doth live in us all.
Ouronos

Postby gaddlord » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Beta 4 with some new sets like MBS released 10 minutes ago. Read http://mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5299#5299 for more information.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)