MTG Studio 1.8.3 Beta 3 Released

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

MTG Studio 1.8.3 Beta 3 Released

Postby gaddlord » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:39 pm

Sorry for the delay (again) guys. Lots of issues required further debugging and code coverage was not great.

I use a tool which provides detailed information which portions of the code are tested while I manually do my tests in the interface. Currently I reached 65% and decided to shoot a Beta 3 and then continue testing and fixing.

This beta has the new internal database structure completely changed. The way your mtgstudio.collection file is organized is also changed.

Now it should be tens of times smaller and faster. The startup speed is also optimized. The memory footprint should be around 80 MB on a first start without a collection initialized (previously it was 250MB+).

The Beta 3 comes only as installable version. No portable equivalent. If you wish to use it as portable simply rename mtgstudio.exe to mtgstudio_portable.exe.

Since the collection file structure has changed you CAN NOT copy/paste your old 1.8.2 collection file. Use FILE|IMPORT menu instead.

The link to the beta is http://www.mtgstudio.com/download/beta/ ... _Beta3.zip

Only MBS is available as a new set. The DDF, PD2, ME4 and some other new sets will be available in the final release.

Be sure also to check www.mtgstudio.com/wiki which I started recently and becomes more and more fun for me to fill in.
Last edited by gaddlord on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:55 pm

Since this post isnt locked I am assuming you would like comments on the install here?

Install seemed to go great. I noticed that the install reminds you to backup your old collection file. Good reminder. :)

I also noticed that running the regular installed version reminds you again and then exits the first time but runs fine the second. Redundancy is a good thing for idiots like me lol.

I also noticed the same thing happens with the portable version as well (using the run as portable option from the menu) but I havent tried to move the portable anywhere.

This is on VISTA and everything is going smooth so far. I will try and work on it some more later.

BTW for those trying to find your collection files. In the NEW version its located here: C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\PalmROOT\MTG Studio 1.8.3

I am assuming its something similar with the last folder changing to the old version and of course David would be your login instead.

You can find this folder easy by running your OLD version and going to Tools->Open Configuration Folder and then going up one level and you should see mtgstudio.collection.

If your running portable then you probably know to find it in your portable directory. :)

EDIT: Portable test was wierd lol. First I copied the installation directory to a new folder and renamed it to mtgstudio_portable.exe and when I ran it Norton freaked out and quarenteed it. Norton rated it as a high threat but I couldnt figure out what it claimed that studio did to freak it out even though the norton website says I should be able to (but doesnt say how lol.)

So I figured since the exe passed inspection in install I cant imagine it having a virus so it must be norton being over protective and this is my software experimentation computer so I figured hey, norton isnt omniscient lol, restored it via the norton control program and re-ran it.

It ran this time and recreated the directory structure of everything else as a sub directories including a blank collection file then ran studio and studio went through the same process of warning me and exiting then running it again and working.

For the sake of completeness I was curious what was the minimum number of files needed to get a portable install to work so I copied just the renamed portable exe and ran it and it failed because of lack of database. I guessed the hfw file was the database having no clue what a hfw file is but the rest didnt suggest to be databases and I knew it didnt mean collection so I copied that too and it worked recreating the portable setup and operating 'normally'.

---- SO TO INSTALL PORTABLE ----

1. Create a new folder for your portable location.
2. Copy mtgstudio.exe from the regular install to that folder.
3. Rename it to mtgstudio_portable.exe
4. Copy the file mtgstudio.hfw to that directory.
5. Turn off your virus protection (grin)
6. Run the portable.

This will recreate a portable version that I assume works. Havnt tested it yet but it loaded fine.

Oh and youll need to re-enter your software key but hey hopefully the new version will be out in less then 30 days so maybe just wait till then lol. :D

WOOO HOOO!!!
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Weevil » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Warning - if you had an earlier version nof the 1.8.3 beta, and you have your collection file located in the 1.8.3 folder, you may encounter an exception error after installing Beta 3. The error indicates that the collection (or was it database) was incompatible. Launching MTG Studio multiple times did not get past this.

The solution was to move your collection file out of the 1.8.3 folder, launch MTG Studio, get an error about the collection file (probably that none is present), close and relaunch MTG Studio. For me, it then launched fine and I was able to import my collection file successfully.

NOTE: I guess this would fall in line with Gaddlord's comment about 1.8.2 collection file not being compatible...

Time to enter my pile of Besieged cards!! :-) Thanks Gaddlord!
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Postby Schwanke » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:46 pm

I wondered about that. But since I didnt have a collection file before because it was a fresh install it just ran once then ran again then worked. I noticed it said 'copy' when it should probably say 'move' but thats pickin potatoes on a beta.
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby scarecrowmagick » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:35 am

I cant update prices and I cant find the email with my key in it. I will get some sleep and try again in the morning. Step one will be to check here for suggestions. Thank you in advance. :wink:
If there's anything I can do to help, it's time to panic.
scarecrowmagick
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby gaddlord » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:08 am

Schwanke wrote:Since this post isnt locked I am assuming you would like comments on the install here?

Comments always welcomed.

I also noticed that running the regular installed version reminds you again and then exits the first time but runs fine the second. Redundancy is a good thing for idiots like me lol.

The first message is the Beta warning which will be always displayed while using the beta.
The second message is part of the final release which will be displayed until the collection is imported the right way.

BTW for those trying to find your collection files. In the NEW version its located here: C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\PalmROOT\MTG Studio 1.8.3

This topic is covered under http://mtgstudio.com/wiki/index.php?[CENSORED] ... _Structure in the Configuration Folders section.

EDIT: Portable test was wierd lol. First I copied the installation directory to a new folder and renamed it to mtgstudio_portable.exe and when I ran it Norton freaked out and quarenteed it. Norton rated it as a high threat but I couldnt figure out what it claimed that studio did to freak it out even though the norton website says I should be able to (but doesnt say how lol.)

Thanks for reporting the Norton AntiVir behavior. The problem with the antiviruses that I may submit the application for verification and ask them to unlist it but the next time I recompile the version number changes and I have to resubmit again and again. It is really a troublesome process of unlisting your software from Avira, Norton, NOD32, etc.

So I figured since the exe passed inspection in install I cant imagine it having a virus so it must be norton being over protective and this is my software experimentation computer so I figured hey, norton isnt omniscient lol, restored it via the norton control program and re-ran it.

Please send a screenshot of how you managed to setup this. I would like to put a wiki page about how to avoid antivirus software headaches. Send it over to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com

For the sake of completeness I was curious what was the minimum number of files needed to get a portable install to work so I copied just the renamed portable exe and ran it and it failed because of lack of database. I guessed the hfw file was the database having no clue what a hfw file is but the rest didnt suggest to be databases and I knew it didnt mean collection so I copied that too and it worked recreating the portable setup and operating 'normally'.

The bare minimum for a portable is:
1. mtgstudio.exe - obviously the program itself
2. mtgstudio.hfw - the card pool database
3. gdiplus.dll - you need this only if you run Windows 2000 or prior.
Last edited by gaddlord on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:10 am

Weevil wrote:Warning - if you had an earlier version nof the 1.8.3 beta, and you have your collection file located in the 1.8.3 folder, you may encounter an exception error after installing Beta 3. The error indicates that the collection (or was it database) was incompatible. Launching MTG Studio multiple times did not get past this.

Right. The collection file format has changed (a lot) and older collection files are not compatible with 1.8.3 version. One must start MTG Studio and use File|Import wizard to import his/her old collection.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:12 am

Schwanke wrote: I noticed it said 'copy' when it should probably say 'move' but thats pickin potatoes on a beta.

What is the full message you saw please, how to reproduce it. I would like to fix it if needed.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:22 am

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Thingil » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:29 am

Thanks for the update Gad

3 Errors i have found after a quick test.

- adding a card to a Deck is not possible (Deck from Pool)
- try to update prices creates an error (file, update prices)
- Entering a value in the fields 'buy at' or 'sell at' gives an error

II can send you the detail errors, but i think these are general issues.
Thingil

Postby Schwanke » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:00 am

gaddlord wrote:Please send a screenshot of how you managed to setup this. I would like to put a wiki page about how to avoid antivirus software headaches. Send it over to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com

It didnt do it on Windows 7 so I couldnt get the screen shot from norton. I will try later to reproduce it on vista. I think I can un-white list it then re run the process and see if it triggers again.

I believe the copy one is the one that says "The collection file in your MTG Studio installation folder does not seem to be valid. Please copy this file aside."

One thing is I have no collection file since its a fresh blank install so it looks like failing to find one is being termed as it being 'bad'.

The other is I would say if the point is to keep them from running it if its there change that to 'move to another location'. As copy file aside though I see what your saying is slightly incorrect english and could be confusing for people where english is not the native language. Copy file asside is kind of a colloquial use I think. Not sure if thats exactly the term but its a non standard way of saying 'please move to another location'.

Though I do see what your saying.

Btw for me it gave that window and then did terminate but then running it again worked where as I think for the other person forget their name it gives the error over and over again until the file is moved.
---
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby TheAndrian » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Downloaded the new beta and found something very peculiar after importing my older file; I get two row which are blank in my collection and each time I try to delete them the following error occurs:

---------------------------
MTG Studio
19:57:44,078(+31760) X [T2064] MTG Studio (version 1.8.3.2991) encountered exeptional situation.

You can copy this error message by pressing Ctrl+C, and paste it in an email to support@mtgstudio.com.

Please also provide the steps to reproduce the problem you have encountered.

Exception: EVariantTypeCastError

Sender: frmDecker.btvCollection.TcxCheckBox in [cxCheckBox]

Address: $C29981

Message: Could not convert variant of type (Null) into type (Integer)

Help Context: 0

OK

Cheers[/img]
TheAndrian
Wizard
Wizard

Postby Schwanke » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Did the pricing stuff make it into this release? I cant find it and I cant tell if I am doing something wrong or it wasnt part of the release. Thats the main thing I am looking forward to using/testing. I wanted to test the pricing code starting from scratch as if I was a new customer as opposed to having half a collection done as most people on the board will already have. Figured that would get tested enough but being a old user testing as if I was a new customer would have seperate advantages.

**EDIT**

Oh and I cant reproduce the norton thing since I cant seem to find how to UN whitelist something lol. I cant even find the list of things that are whitelisted or blacklisted. Norton is so much more complex then it was when I used it 7 years ago that its hard to navigate and I cant seem to even figure out where to start researching it lol.

If there is a new beta release of studio and it does it again I'll make sure to stop the process as I do it and take screen shots.
---
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Moobu » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Sadly, I'm getting an error when the program loads its splash screen. This happens right after I accept the TOS and tell the studio it should start in the question box.

MTG Studio
15:34:36,491(+ 194) X [T4256] MTG Studio (version 1.8.3.2991) encountered exeptional situation.

You can copy this error message by pressing Ctrl+C, and paste it in an email to support@mtgstudio.com.

Please also provide the steps to reproduce the problem you have encountered.

Exception: Exception

Sender: nil

Address: $C29981

Help Context: 0

OK

I'm running Windows 7 64bit with a moderate amount of partitions across 2 hard drives if that makes any difference. Please help Gad my trial runs out in 6 days. =(
Moobu
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

No SoM in 1.8.3 beta 3 build 2991

Postby Laserdan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Should i go install the 1.8.2.1 SoM patch or not?
Laserdan
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Next

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)