Newbie comments and suggestions

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Newbie comments and suggestions

Postby ChiTownMagicGuy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:02 am

I download the eval and updated to 1.8.3 Beta.

I am a professional software developer myself (for more than 30 years).

I see a lot of potential power in this program (and I will most likely register it) but it is missing a little polish. Polish is what turns a functional program into a usable program.

Here are my comments and suggestions

1. The help file is almost of no help at all. Context sensitive help would be extremely nice. The help file should explain every aspect of how to operate the program with screen shots or icon images.
Where is the list of what edition abbreviation goes with what edition?
Where is a description of all of the menu selections (for example what does "MTG On Line Only" do?
How do you associate a program with "Find Deck"?
A step by step guide for first time users.

2. Card image updating (especially when updating from one edition to another of the same card) is very slow even the morph and the delay are set to the minimum.

3. Card images are wrong in multiple cases. Dual Lands between Revised and Unlimited for example.

4. Being able to determine the value of a deck rather then just the entire collection would be useful.

5. Getting started from an empty collection is very confusing because of the lack of decent documentation.

6. It should be possible to create the collection by creating decks and then adding the decks to the collection.
ChiTownMagicGuy
Mage
Mage

Postby jradford » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:39 pm

I like the #6 idea.

Say I buy the Fire & Lightning deck. It would be nice to just add it to my collection instead of all 60 cards individually.

Should get it in a couple days. ;)
jradford
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby Azul » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:50 am

I'm away from my computer right now but I'm pretty sure #6 already is in the program. I added Garruk vs Liliana just by opening the deck and then adding it to my collection.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Laserdan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:28 pm

there are prebuilt decks? where do they live in the file structure, or do you have to import them? I manually added all the cards in All the duel decks and then built the deck files by hand. Man do I feel like a dolt.

Someone help, I have jace vs Chandra left...
Laserdan
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby Laserdan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:40 pm

and the idiocracy continues...a quick search of the forum yielded the info I needed. DOHH!

in case anyone else needs this its in the install folder in My Decks folder.
Laserdan
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Re: Newbie comments and suggestions

Postby gaddlord » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:45 am

ChiTownMagicGuy wrote:Polish is what turns a functional program into a usable program.

I cannot agree more.

ChiTownMagicGuy wrote:1. The help file is almost of no help at all. Context sensitive help would be extremely nice. The help file should explain every aspect of how to operate the program with screen shots or icon images.
Where is the list of what edition abbreviation goes with what edition?
Where is a description of all of the menu selections (for example what does "MTG On Line Only" do?
How do you associate a program with "Find Deck"?
A step by step guide for first time users.

In the latest 1.8.3 version I diched the idea of supporting a CHM help and went into a wiki for the help available at www.mtgstudio.com/wiki.
Indeed lots of useful topics are simply missing. Anyone is welcome to contrinute.

ChiTownMagicGuy wrote:2. Card image updating (especially when updating from one edition to another of the same card) is very slow even the morph and the delay are set to the minimum.

The first time the card images are displayed ineed it is slow since they are downloaded and download of 200KB is not usually fast enough. Afterwards they are cached and the speed should be just fine. Due to copyright constrains and due to the size of all image files (> 4GB) it is obvious that those cannot come with the program.

ChiTownMagicGuy wrote:3. Card images are wrong in multiple cases. Dual Lands between Revised and Unlimited for example.

I believe they are fine if you use the default card art provider. If you use Gatherer or WotC they can be wrong since it is just Wizards.
If you encounter problems with the default high-quality provider "MTG Studio Download (all editions + promos)". This can be setup in Tools|Options|Card Art|Directories.

ChiTownMagicGuy wrote:4. Being able to determine the value of a deck rather then just the entire collection would be useful.

Please vote for this feature at http://mtgstudio.uservoice.com/forums/1 ... ?ref=title

ChiTownMagicGuy wrote:5. Getting started from an empty collection is very confusing because of the lack of decent documentation.

Relays to topic 1.

ChiTownMagicGuy wrote:6. It should be possible to create the collection by creating decks and then adding the decks to the collection.

Yes. Create/open a deck, then select all cards (Ctrl+A) and then press the "Add to Collection" button.

P.S. Very valuable feedback btw. Thanks ChiTownMagicGuy. You can download the latest beta at http://mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1459
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:30 pm

fIn the latest 1.8.3 version I diched the idea of supporting a CHM help and went into a wiki for the help available at www.mtgstudio.com/wiki.
Indeed lots of useful topics are simply missing. Anyone is welcome to contrinute.

In my mmo wurm they have an interface to the wiki built into the program. If you push a certain key it opens a search and if you type in your item it access a flat text version of the wiki entry. Sloppy but usefull if you look certain things up over and over again and need basic information. (Like for example all the ingredients in a certain food or something.)

What if you made a basic interface to the wiki where since your managing the wiki you know which pages are which and you could put basic code in studio that just pops up a page based on a keyword and then have feature-keyword pairs in a list or in the database or something so that say if your in the search box and you hit F1 it loads the wiki page "Interface Element: Search Box".

Then when you change features on the search box you just update that wiki page and you can cross reference all the other wiki pages related to the search box through it and it would be a great place for people to start fooling around with the wiki and it would market the wiki more being more intigrated.
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:50 am

Schwanke wrote:What if you made a basic interface to the wiki where since your managing the wiki you know which pages are which and you could put basic code in studio that just pops up a page based on a keyword and then have feature-keyword pairs in a list or in the database or something so that say if your in the search box and you hit F1 it loads the wiki page "Interface Element: Search Box"

I have no technical issues implementing this. You can test with the Hepl button on Filter dialog which already has this behaviour in 1.8.3 Betas.

The issues is not with the implementation but more with "Who will write those articles?". I guess it will be me.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)