Do we have an approx. release date yet for 1.8.3?

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Postby dvdira » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Schwanke wrote:
dvdira wrote:I must admit, Gaddlord has a good thing here -- I love his product -- and as of the moment he's the only game in town. But if I can't use it because of a required update --- and I don't know when the update will come --- then my purchase begins to feel more like a bad investment than anything else. Its hard to feel sympathy when you feel you've placed your trust already, and yet you're continuously ignored or let down.

I wouldnt call 20$US for a lifetime subscription an investment. I would call it a tip of the hat to a really good piece of buy it once software with the bonus of free updates.

I think this software is easly worth 20 to 40 dollars a YEAR and if I paid that and THEN he didnt do updates I would complain. But the point is the software is well worth more as is then what we are paying now so any 'investment' has already been paid off and the rest is gravy.

This btw, coming from someone who does NOT own a business and infact lives on a fixed income with very little room for extra spending. So I think its possible your business perspective has clouded the real ratio of cost to benefits so to speak. You got your investment paid back a few versions ago. Right now its the fact that he is NOT charging us 50 bucks a year that he CAN take time off in a one man job and we really shouldnt be complaining.

True, $20 is not really much. I paid that much for MWS, and some online games I play charge almost 75% of that amount on a monthly basis. Heck, the cards I use them for cost a whole lot more, so why not, right?

True, $20 is not much, but it still is an investment because its a vote of confidence made in lieu of promises made. It doesn't matter if the price is $100 or $20 -- MTGStudio is a product, and is presented to have features that will attract buyers (or registered users) to it. As such its price tag represents the seller's commitment to the buyer that his product IS AS promised upon point of purchase. If the features are not there yet, then there is a risk that the promise will not be fulfilled, therefore anyone buying at that point pays with certain expectations in mind.

My only expectation actually is that information on actual release dates be made available. My reasoning is this: Price is relative to competition. As it is, MTGSTudio is NOT like MWS. It does not allow Player Vs Player or even Solitaire play. At least not yet. However, the price is the same. Therefore from my perspective, the product is not yet complete. As it is, MTGStudio is merely an inventory manager and deckbuilding software. Its not perfect (MWS has more intuitive deckbuilding though to be fair MTGStudio's inventory management has better features), but its functional. For it to remain functional though, the set updates must be available in a timely fashion. If they cannot, then information must be given so that we are assured that the delivery will be there eventually. Otherwise, all this is added work.

Now I don't mean to offend anyone, but all that's really being asked is an ETA of the Mirrodin Besieged set update -- not the actual update itself , and certainly not all the added features and fixes which has been itemized in the wiki page that was referred to as version 1.8.3. That shouldn't be difficult to provide, if all this weren't a 1-man effort.

Which I think is really the root of this problem.

Gaddlord did mention on the site that there were thousands of registered users already. At 20$ each, that must amount to a certain amount of money that would allow him to organize for contingencies like this.

I do hope everything is ok with Gaddlord and his family. And I do apologize for sounding cold and unsympathetic. But Gaddlord opened himself to this line of reasoning the moment he began selling this product publicly.
dvdira
Apprentice

Postby MTGdawg » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:28 pm

Wow such hostility. Not to take pot shots at anyone, I hate trolls, but everyone is taking comments to personally. The people that use this program are consumers in a small community. The stores in the community are individually owned, and operated. In a store like that if the propriator, had a family situation that had to be attended to, they put a sign on the door, a message on the machine, and take care of business. I my self had missed Gaddlords comment about family until I had reread it.

An example IRL is; When I was first into MTG, the owner of the card store I used, held FNM, and all the opening events for new decks. A week before onslaught came out, he had to go out of town (country) due to an illness in the family. he was gone for three weeks. We could not buy from him nor use his shop. But Guess what, the MTG world did not end for us, most waited patiently for him to get back, others went elsewhere to play, but when he got back we all wished him well, and continued to play.

Remember it is hard to hear the inflection of ones voice, when you respond in writing. 99.95% of the time the response is benign, or just trying to be informative, rarely with the exception of true trolls, are replies meant to attack another post, however as soon as someone gets defensive, all bets are off.

Sorry for the soapbox.
MTGdawg
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Guys, lets chill out. All sickness issues solved and I am on a regular schedule now.

Glad you still keep the good tone in times where much more updates should have been posted by me. I should have posted more often.

I am currently testing 1.8.3 release. All unit tests pass successfully but I would like to test it manually as well.

Besieged is on its way. I am starting importing it tonight.

Maybe the 1.8.3 version may not have all Price features all us expect but at least will have Besieged. At least there will be one new screen called Pick Price for finer control over the price selection.

GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Weevil » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks for the update Gaddlord! Also glad to hear that your family is doing better.
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Postby gaddlord » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:29 pm

dvdira wrote:I own a business too and I suspect that its much bigger than this one. I share the "Family comes first" value with my employees, in that if they have family issues, then they can take all the time that they want to resolve them -- for as long as certain protocols are followed, and they pass on work responsibilities properly to co-workers. When it comes to my customers (I am in real estate development) though, the customer-facing unit should always be ready to face the public no matter what.

A valid point dvdira. This business is not big and I will gladly sell it to Wizards of the Coast if ever they care of buying it (which I highly doubt). Building MTG Studio for me is not only for profit it is for pleasure as well. It is run as microISV and being that way it suffers all of the cons of the shareware industry:
- lack of investment
- unsteady cash flows

All of this is not coming as an excuse of any kind. I would simply like to be brutally honest. MTG Studio is the third in the list of priorities thing to me.
1. My family - aways first.
2. My permanent job. Yes, I do work for my living in another company for 40 hours a week. In my "real" life I am a team leader of in an international team of developers serving business news for most of the top 50 companies in the world. I have more than 150 completed project in my past and each new year bring 30+ to my CV. Since recently I also started occupying the position of a Product Manager of one of the internal projects which also involves a bit of R&D management which I enjoy a lot.
3. MTG Studio. By big love comes third. I am in love with the idea of building Magic software (not so much in the game it self), but sometimes I literally invest in MTG Studio in order to keep it alive. It all started as a joke on the beach. A guy asked if I can crack Magic Workstation for him and I said "I will write you a better one.". This was Aug 14, 2003. And since then I never stopped developing MTG Studio. Lots of nice, good and excellent Magic software has been written in those years by my competitors (some of them actually friends) and lots of them perished due to
- lack of investment
- development team splitting (like Magic Workstation)
- cease and desist letters from WotC (like Magic Suitcase)
- or maybe adopted by WotC with a clause to stop developing (like Dragon Studio's Apprentice).
I do still hope I can outlive them all. At least I have the passion and willingness to do so.

In other words, if this were a freebie thing like magic workstation was when it first came out, and it relied solely on donations, then whoever the proponent/developer is can take all the time in the world to do whatever it is he/she wants. But if its a product --- then its inevitable that the act of purchasing CREATES certain expectations. Not all customers are the same though, so some will be more patient than others --- but it doesn't mean that the less patient ones are bigger jerks.

I don't quite recall Magic Workstation of relying on donations. Within the last 9-10 years it was sold with a price attached to it. I do confirm that I try to treat my past, present and future customers with the proper respect they deserve. I believe the price of the product is fare and the statement future updates and features come without an additional cost attached is as fare as possible.

As a side note, this whole thing is exarcebated by the fact that my purchase of this thing is based on 'features shown in the feature matrix", most of which are either not yet implemented or not implemented properly yet. The large amount of "promise" attached to this product should come with better customer service, don't you think?

If you are talking about the features marked as "pending" in the Feature Matrix I can agree that some of those are planned for years. But this is the way it is. I do really plan having them but working on other or existing stuff have always prevented me from doing feature X or Y. Since a couple of months I started the Feedback link (a red button at the right of this page). It shows more realistically what my clients really need. I try to follow their most desired needs but this is not always possible. If you feel misled in some way please accept my apologies and send me the page you read as misleading at gaddlord@mtgstudio.com and I promise to revisit its content.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Re: Heart Attack

Postby gaddlord » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Chellew620 wrote:I looked at the wiki page without noticing your last post date. It looked like 1.8.3 was released earlier this week!

Apologies if the wiki information mislead you in some way. 1.8.3 is due to be released but not yet. I already fixed the Version History page in order to avoid further confusion. Currently it reads "Version 1.8.3 TO BE RELEASED (currently in private beta)"
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Re: Heart Attack

Postby Chellew620 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:42 pm

gaddlord wrote:
Chellew620 wrote:I looked at the wiki page without noticing your last post date. It looked like 1.8.3 was released earlier this week!

Apologies if the wiki information mislead you in some way. 1.8.3 is due to be released but not yet. I already fixed the Version History page in order to avoid further confusion. Currently it reads "Version 1.8.3 TO BE RELEASED (currently in private beta)"

Oh no worries, I just thought I missed it somehow! Thanks for the forum update, gaddlord, we're all super excited for the new version and appreciate your efforts.
Chellew620
Apprentice

Postby Schwanke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:15 am

Well its good to have you back Gad and its good to see things in the home life have resolved. I dont think anyone wants you to neglect that for the sake of the project.

I am really glad to hear all this 'behind the scenes views' on the project as I had always wondered for a while but never felt it was apropriate to ask.

I think I can say that most of this whole thread in terms of the 'heatedness' comes from a zealosy and pride in your product! We love it! If WE werent passionate about it we would have just shut up and said "We'll when he gets around to it he gets around to it. In the mean time we'll just go do something else." So I think clearly the project is definitely WANTED and NEEDED!

Thank you!
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:13 am

Anyone interested in 1.8.3 beta?
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:05 am

Definitely!
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby marcopollo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:42 pm

gaddlord wrote:Anyone interested in 1.8.3 beta?

Post it !! :D
marcopollo

Postby MTGdawg » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:51 pm

WHOOOOOOOOOOOF!!!!!
MTGdawg
Apprentice

Postby Weevil » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:15 pm

Are we interested? You actually have to ask???? :o
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Postby gaddlord » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:39 am

I am currently finalizing the PD2, ME4, MBS, DDF sets and importing the latest 0.14.1 Wagic card ids.
As soon as this is done I will release a public beta versioned 1.8.3. The final release will be versioned 2.0.

I will post to this thread, the news section and the wiki as soon as I have it bundled and uploaded. Stay tuned.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby marcopollo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:26 pm

gaddlord wrote:I am currently finalizing the PD2, ME4, MBS, DDF sets and importing the latest 0.14.1 Wagic card ids.
As soon as this is done I will release a public beta versioned 1.8.3. The final release will be versioned 2.0.

I will post to this thread, the news section and the wiki as soon as I have it bundled and uploaded. Stay tuned.

Okay, now you are just teasing. Tomorrow?
marcopollo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)