Do we have an approx. release date yet for 1.8.3?

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Do we have an approx. release date yet for 1.8.3?

Postby Weevil » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:56 pm

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. :-) With Besieged just a couple days away from release and the fact I already have a stack of cards from the pre-release, I'm anxious to add them to my collection for new deck building...

Thanks Gaddlord!
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Postby jradford » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:18 am

Also the fixes for pricing and any other bug fixes in 1.8.3
jradford
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby gaddlord » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:59 am

I am mostly done with the db migration. I am still fixing some stuff. I am planning a release very-very soon.

I have this rule of not excusing the project project with my personal issues. But indeed I need to take care for a while to my personal/fammily matters and then come back to the release plan.

Stay tuned since soon updates will come. A cheat tip I can give is pay attention to http://mtgstudio.com/wiki/index.php?[CENSORED] ... on_History
which is updated as soon as I add some new features to the new release I add an entry in the wiki and you can track what is planned and forthcoming.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Heart Attack

Postby Chellew620 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:09 pm

I looked at the wiki page without noticing your last post date. It looked like 1.8.3 was released earlier this week!

Almost had a heart attack from excitement. Also partially because I couldn't believe I missed it as I've been watching vigilantly for the release. :D

I imagine the new version will have Mirrodin Beseiged...? That would be awesome!
Chellew620
Apprentice

Postby Azul » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:33 am

I think that's just the 'beta' right now. I don't think it had the new format database in it. It's just got Scars and a few other things in it like the tool that updates prices.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Moobu » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:58 am

I'm not entirely sure that tool that updates prices works properly. It is telling me my stoneforged mystics are worth $3 and I click the link to the abu website to see they are clearly worth closer to $10.
Moobu
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby jradford » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:07 am

I dont think it works either. It is telling my collection is worth $23K
jradford
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby Chellew620 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:06 am

http://mtgstudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Version_History has all of the upcoming fixes for 1.8.3.

Gaddlord is including updates to the collection database as well as fixing the pricing issue.
Chellew620
Apprentice

Postby Weevil » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:08 pm

Right - Gaddlord is well aware of the pricing problems and that will be fixed in 1.8.3, which should be available very soon. If you want to play with a beta version of 1.8.3 that came out awhile back and fixes the pricing issue, you can get it here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/download/beta/ ... 3.Beta.zip. It does work fine (I'm using it) but you might just want to wait until the final release of 1.8.3.

If you decide to install the beta, I'd suggest reading the thread here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1360.
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Postby marcopollo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:36 am

gaddlord wrote:I am mostly done with the db migration. I am still fixing some stuff. I am planning a release very-very soon.

Stay tuned since soon updates will come. A cheat tip I can give is pay attention to http://mtgstudio.com/wiki/index.php?[CENSORED] ... on_History
which is updated as soon as I add some new features to the new release I add an entry in the wiki and you can track what is planned and forthcoming.

I haven't seen any recent check-ins since this post. I'm hoping the release isn't too far away, as I have been waiting to enter my cards from Tezzeret Duel deck (since September) & Besiege before putting them in binders/decks.

Would you consider releasing an interim build with just the new expansions added to the database?

Thanks,

Marc
marcopollo

Postby Schwanke » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:00 pm

For the record. Gad loosly mentioned that he was having family issues so please keep that in mind.

Personaly I will say again that this software is WELL worth more then 20$US so even if he never updated again we would have still gotten our moneys worth even with just the features that work 'perfectly' now.

Not saying he wont I am sure he will but lets let him have a home life. It takes a lot of guts in todays modern kill kill kill do do do go go go business world to say "family comes first" and personally I think everyone should say that.

Nothing personal or attacking in anyway in this post to anyone. Just saying. Was gunna do a post by itself on the same subject but happen to fit here. (I sometimes convey emotions I dont intend so forgive me if I seem abrasive for some reason. :|
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby dvdira » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:00 am

Schwanke wrote:For the record. Gad loosly mentioned that he was having family issues so please keep that in mind.

Personaly I will say again that this software is WELL worth more then 20$US so even if he never updated again we would have still gotten our moneys worth even with just the features that work 'perfectly' now.

Not saying he wont I am sure he will but lets let him have a home life. It takes a lot of guts in todays modern kill kill kill do do do go go go business world to say "family comes first" and personally I think everyone should say that.

Nothing personal or attacking in anyway in this post to anyone. Just saying. Was gunna do a post by itself on the same subject but happen to fit here. (I sometimes convey emotions I dont intend so forgive me if I seem abrasive for some reason. :|

Hi. Just my two cents worth on this topic since I notice that there are people who jump to Gaddlord's defense almost immediately after someone posts a simple question like an ETA for an update. I mean, I posted a thread topic on this very thing more than a week back and I got 2 replies: 1 from Gaddlord giving me the yearbook answer of "2-3 days after its available on gatherer....", and another 1 almost chastising me for posting the question.

I own a business too and I suspect that its much bigger than this one. I share the "Family comes first" value with my employees, in that if they have family issues, then they can take all the time that they want to resolve them -- for as long as certain protocols are followed, and they pass on work responsibilities properly to co-workers. When it comes to my customers (I am in real estate development) though, the customer-facing unit should always be ready to face the public no matter what.

Now I don't mind Gaddlord taking a bit of time before the update. Furthermore, if he has family issues, he should prioritize that above everything else... But since MTGStudio is offered as a product (its being sold and I for one bought it off this website like probably the rest of you), he should set up an internal infrastructure system so that things like this don't happen. Customers asking for an ETA for items relevant to the product they bought should at least be answered --- and an effort should be made to try to make the answers as accurate as possible (not even truthful, mind you) --- so that the customers don't feel shortchanged. The problem is, after monitoring this forum for a couple of weeks --- i don't see this kind of customer concern.

In other words, if this were a freebie thing like magic workstation was when it first came out, and it relied solely on donations, then whoever the proponent/developer is can take all the time in the world to do whatever it is he/she wants. But if its a product --- then its inevitable that the act of purchasing CREATES certain expectations. Not all customers are the same though, so some will be more patient than others --- but it doesn't mean that the less patient ones are bigger jerks.

I must admit, Gaddlord has a good thing here -- I love his product -- and as of the moment he's the only game in town. But if I can't use it because of a required update --- and I don't know when the update will come --- then my purchase begins to feel more like a bad investment than anything else. Its hard to feel sympathy when you feel you've placed your trust already, and yet you're continuously ignored or let down.

As a side note, this whole thing is exarcebated by the fact that my purchase of this thing is based on 'features shown in the feature matrix", most of which are either not yet implemented or not implemented properly yet. The large amount of "promise" attached to this product should come with better customer service, don't you think?
dvdira
Apprentice

Postby Azul » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:17 am

True enough, true enough. I'm willing to wait a little longer on just this one though because of the major engine overhaul the program is getting.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:24 am

dvdira wrote:I must admit, Gaddlord has a good thing here -- I love his product -- and as of the moment he's the only game in town. But if I can't use it because of a required update --- and I don't know when the update will come --- then my purchase begins to feel more like a bad investment than anything else. Its hard to feel sympathy when you feel you've placed your trust already, and yet you're continuously ignored or let down.

I wouldnt call 20$US for a lifetime subscription an investment. I would call it a tip of the hat to a really good piece of buy it once software with the bonus of free updates.

I think this software is easly worth 20 to 40 dollars a YEAR and if I paid that and THEN he didnt do updates I would complain. But the point is the software is well worth more as is then what we are paying now so any 'investment' has already been paid off and the rest is gravy.

This btw, coming from someone who does NOT own a business and infact lives on a fixed income with very little room for extra spending. So I think its possible your business perspective has clouded the real ratio of cost to benefits so to speak. You got your investment paid back a few versions ago. Right now its the fact that he is NOT charging us 50 bucks a year that he CAN take time off in a one man job and we really shouldnt be complaining.
Newest version of the software, beta or otherwise can be found here: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
---
My detailed Pricing Feature Suggestions: http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby marcopollo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:15 am

Schwanke wrote:I think this software is easly worth 20 to 40 dollars a YEAR and if I paid that and THEN he didnt do updates I would complain. But the point is the software is well worth more as is then what we are paying now so any 'investment' has already been paid off and the rest is gravy.
<snip>Right now its the fact that he is NOT charging us 50 bucks a year that he CAN take time off in a one man job and we really shouldnt be complaining.

Simply asking for an ETA of the next release is not a complaint, nor was it meant to be.

However, this is a good lesson learned, IMHO. That for a paid product, not donation related, there is a certain expectation of customer service as dvdira stated which is valid.

If there were problems in preventing the entire update from being completed on time, then one has to re-evaluate and reset the expectation to the customer on what is being delivered, then prioritize what can be delivered, and do it.

Most of the people that use this product, love it and are very forgiving when it comes to future updates, (especially since typically they have been consistent and often). We support Gaddlord and understand that stuff happens, so don't feel that you need to defend him when he's not being attacked.

We are simply excited to receive the next update and can't wait for it. (':D')
marcopollo

Next

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)