Filtering guru needed for looking at multi-colored cards

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Filtering guru needed for looking at multi-colored cards

Postby Weevil » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:16 pm

My filtering-fu skills are weak. What I want to do is the following: find all multi-colored cards that have green/red, green/blue, red/blue, or green/red/blue in their casting cost. I'm thinking it is possible with filtering customization but have been unable to do it so far.

I'm able to get individual lists two or three color combinations but would like one big list of multi-color cards that contain a combination of R,G, or U.

Thanks!
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Postby WillFa » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:03 am

Here ya go.

(If linking from MS's skydrive isn't working, picture is here)
WillFa
Apprentice

Postby Weevil » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks - that worked! Help file is somewhat unclear that you have to use asteriks surrounding the colors to change "Like" to "Contains" (not even sure how Like works for filtering colors. Also not sure why when looking for cards with RGU, you have to use *RG*U* and not simply *RGU*.

At any rate, now I know - thanks again!
Weevil
Wizard
Wizard

Postby WillFa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 am

I'm not sure how things work exactly in MTG Studio... General Wildcards (at a cmd prompt) use ? for any single character, and an * for any number of characters.

So if you looked for *URG* you'd only find cards that needed a single red mana to cast them. Searching for *UR*G* lets you find the 1URRRG spells (if any) since the extra RR between URRRG is covered by the *

Just an aside, Regular Expressions use . for a single character, and ? to mean "0 or 1 of the preceeding". RegExps use * for 0 to any number of the proceeding ( .* is any number of any character, including 0 characters)
When dealing with SQL Server or other RDBMSs, the SQL 'LIKE' statement typically wants '%' as the wildcard, so it confused me for a while too. "It's a LIKE that wants general wcard syntax... funky."
WillFa
Apprentice

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)