Bugs, Features, Suggestions, Random Observances

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Bugs, Features, Suggestions, Random Observances

Postby WillFa » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Hello Gad and others :)

Great program, I really like it. Here's a few things I've noticed or would like to request...

1) The Online Judge on starcitygames.com is defunct. You can remove the menu option for it.

2) I saw that you've e-mailed Troll and Toad about pricing integration. Would you be inclined to ask tcgplayer.com to participate as well, please? (Also, BidWicket.com is another CCG aggregator as well, if you want to chase down the whole world ;) )

3) Some of the Abilities database is out of date. For example, Miscellaneous/Hybrid cards only list the original 12 Ravnica:City of Guilds cards, and leaves out the other 18 from that block, and all the Shadowmoor and Eventide cards.

4) You mentioned that DD:EvT was low on the request list... I'm requesting it :) And PDS:FL too...

5) How would you handle DD:JvC japanese? Just something in the Notes field, or is there a language column available somewhere?

6) I've only seen a quick mention on what you're intending for 1.8.3. and a database overhaul. Something about killing off Jet. Are you talking about just the .hfw or is the .collection going to be migrated into a database as well? (From what you've said about query times, I think the collection needs to be in one to get the .3 sec response time.) What DB Engine are you implementing? Hopefully not BDE (I know this is done in Delphi). Have you considered SQLite since you wanted cross platform availability?

6b) The reason I mention SQLite is because I've been pondering an php/aspx front end to the collection for an online store. Having the collection in a native db would make things a lot simpler, and SQLite is inherantly multi-user, so it'd get around any contention issues for the file...
WillFa
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:37 pm

Excellent questions.

1) The Online Judge on starcitygames.com is defunct. You can remove the menu option for it.

It is removed in 1.8.3. As Ferrett Steinmetz told me "I'm afraid we no longer do. Years of rules changes made it impossible to ensure the rulings were up-to-date, and rather than leave a repository that might give incorrect information, we took it down."

2) I saw that you've e-mailed Troll and Toad about pricing integration. Would you be inclined to ask tcgplayer.com to participate as well, please? (Also, BidWicket.com is another CCG aggregator as well, if you want to chase down the whole world )

TCG Player is on my wish list as well and a dozen more.

3) Some of the Abilities database is out of date. For example, Miscellaneous/Hybrid cards only list the original 12 Ravnica:City of Guilds cards, and leaves out the other 18 from that block, and all the Shadowmoor and Eventide cards.

The abilities are so much outdated. The last time I updated them was around 2004. I am planning on building a full taxonomy tree of all cards but no time available right now for it.

4) You mentioned that DD:EvT was low on the request list... I'm requesting it And PDS:FL too...

Request taken. The best way is to vote in our Feedback red button on the right.

5) How would you handle DD:JvC japanese? Just something in the Notes field, or is there a language column available somewhere?

There is a Language column available (somewhere) indeed :)
For years I have 5 hidden columns like Language, Release date, Notes, Native Card Name, Block, etc. Never had time to surface them in the UI.

6) I've only seen a quick mention on what you're intending for 1.8.3. and a database overhaul. Something about killing off Jet. Are you talking about just the .hfw or is the .collection going to be migrated into a database as well? (From what you've said about query times, I think the collection needs to be in one to get the .3 sec response time.) What DB Engine are you implementing? Hopefully not BDE (I know this is done in Delphi). Have you considered SQLite since you wanted cross platform availability?

Yes Jet goes away. Collection will be SQLite based and will not be protected so anyone with some programming skills will be able to use it. Decks will be loaded in SQLite in-memory database. Prices will be a unprotected SQLite as well. The card pool though will be a protected proprietary format. I have invested endless hours of manually input of cards and will not give it for free.

6b) The reason I mention SQLite is because I've been pondering an php/aspx front end to the collection for an online store. Having the collection in a native db would make things a lot simpler, and SQLite is inherantly multi-user, so it'd get around any contention issues for the file...

SQLite is not easy to use in heavy traffic multi-user web site as I already asked such question on StackOverflow : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3867 ... site-usage

Hope those answers can help.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)