Status update?

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Status update?

Postby Schwanke » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:57 am

Really interested in how things are going with the new release.

I made the decision not to go ahead with my selling project until the new release was out not realizing that it was going to be combined with a complete overhaul (atleast I think thats what you said in one of the posts.)

So I was expecting a couple of weeks, not a couple of months, before it was released lol. :D

I kind of figure cuz of the holidays it wouldnt be before atleast a week or two after new years and I wouldnt even considering starting a new ebay business in december lol so I am not worried about it being out in the next month.

I would however like some sense of whether we are talking mid january-ish or are we talking another few months? Should I make alternate plans for pricing/find something that works with the current system?

I realize that we pay so little that effectively we get our fair share just from the current release and later releases are gravy considering we are not paying for updates but I also know how serious you take on improving your software so any 'expectation' I am having I am trying to only have up to your own expectations and what you have demonstrated already.

Thanks! As always! REALLY looking forward to the new release and unless something causes the project to close completely this would really only affect whether I start my selling mid january without the new release or try to hold off a little bit if the new release is forth coming.

God bless and happy hollidays.

--david
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:40 pm

Hello, I have good progress with the database migration. As a matter of fact it is already migrated. I also redesigned the way opened decks are kept in the MTG Studio memory. Redesigned the format for collection file (now version 3.0) and also prices in the future will be kept in a separate mtgstudio.prices file. I am currently testing with 100 000 cards collection the speed of loading the app. So far the results are good but yet I do have some unit tests to write.

For your knowing so far since 2003 I have released 78 versions of MTG Studio at the average pace of a new release every 23 days on average. This time it will take longer since I am making an internal redesign of the application for the very first time. So far in the past 8 years I never changed so drastically the guts of the app. I do believe we are not talking months at all. Mirrodin Besieged is coming around end of Jan I must be ready by that time (hopefully).
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:04 pm

Well thats good to know. I'll probably hold out for that then. Atleast there is a nice solid list of progress and a general projected date. I really really really wanna wait until your software is in its full glory with the new pricing before I go into business with anything relating to pricing. Be MUCH nicer then doing it by hand and much much nicer to get an average market value and have a good baseline then to price off one website and have internal website fluctuations affect me too much.

For example I considered doing troll and toad cuz they are always so low but then I realized they are so low because they over stock so well. They buy them case after case after case. Thing is its still possible to be understocked on certain cards and so have the prices be higher on those cards because they have less of them where as over priced on ones where they have a ton.

Ive been using abugames as a measure for whether or not to hard protect something instead of a just a soft sleeve. 99cents or higher on abugames and I put it in a hard protector. Figuring later on I can balance them out once I get real prices from studio.

The main thing is I am trying to stick with cards that are old enough to have leveled off in terms of value. (like not mirrodin cuz of how much new sets fluctuate) but at the same time I will be listing for 30 days at a time so it works to list something at market average and chances are someone will want it at market average in those 30 days.

SOOOOOO cannot wait for the next version of studio that includes the new pricing. If you ever wanna release a beta version like that one time I'll be glad to play with it. I'm on windows 7 at the moment if you need someone on that.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)