1.8.3 itch :)

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

1.8.3 itch :)

Postby Schwanke » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:17 pm

Just picked up 3 more booster boxes of alara foils. Itchin to try out the new features expected in .3 with the foil pricing. :)

I also have a booster box of 10th ed that needs the fixes in .3 to price properly.

Itch itch itch. :) :) :)

I know this wouldnt and shouldnt affect how fast it gets released but just wanted to mention I'm excited. :)
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:40 am

Actually everything is having an effect.

I am working on database migration and Prices right as we speak.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:24 pm

Rockin!

Cant wait!

I added it to my routine to check the front page and the forums every time I sit down at the computer. I leave a tab open in firefox for it and the button is so big its easy to hit with the mouse even when I'm tired. :D

And I learned to check the front page cuz one release I missed the announcement for some reason and was behind a version for several posts lol. :D

woot!
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:09 am

ITCH ITCH ITCH!

Status report Dr. Sulu! :D

Seriosly though.

Is it going well atleast? :D I'm itchin still and cant wait. :)
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Status report:

- I have migrated the prices in a separate mtgstudio.prices file
- I have migrated the card pool database to the new db format
- I have recoded the File|Import wizard to import in the new 3.0 collection format
- I have recoded the 2.0 mtgstudio.collection file to be saved in the new 3.0 collection format
- I am currently recoding the decks internal presentation to use in-memory database instead of physical one.

After this is done I can continue on Prices updates.

There is a huge benefit of doing all of those prior to finishing Prices.
- size of database hfw file
- size of collection file
- size of prices file
- speed of loading
- speed of adding a card to a collection of 100 000+ collection is decreased 40 times
- speed of the Filter is now lightning fast
- in the future ability to compare card pool vs deck vs collection availability
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Waiting for updates

Postby dakka » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:15 am

I have been using mtgstudio for a week now as shareware, and the latest theme deck is not included. So I am waiting to see both how quick you get these updates out, and whether the deck will be included.

It's the Elspeth vs Tesserret theme deck.

So once the new update comes out, if the above decks are included I intend to pay for the product. So far I am loving it! Great work mate. Good to see you are actively involved in keeping thing up to date.
dakka
Apprentice

Re: Waiting for updates

Postby gaddlord » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:40 am

dakka wrote:It's the Elspeth vs Tesserret theme deck.

Sorry to disappoint you but currently I am making huge (most likely the biggest since MTG Start start) change of switching to another card pool database, collection database and prices database.

Such support for Elspeth vs Tesserret is planned but will be delayed until the refactoring of the application is done.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:11 pm

This does seem massive from my/our perspective considering the number of changes and how long its taking and progress from updates.

Soo.. if you can hang out for a version to see if Gad's updates for the deck you want is fast enough into the version after this major changes you might get a better feel at how fast he puts out those types of changes.

They've been pretty fast in the past but like he said, this is a major over haul so you kinda picked a bad time to gauge how fast individual decks/editions come out in studio.

I'm still itchin! :D
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby dakka » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:41 pm

That's very unfortunate for me timing wise. If there was a way to import new cards manually it would have been great.

I guess I will have to wait till after the changes are complete and then wait another month to get an idea. Not that I don't trust what some of you are saying.

But from experience I have learned to judge things for myself. Actions speak louder than words as they say. The truth is in the pudding and all that...lol.

In saying that however, the product looks fantastic and I have every confidence that the new changes will make it even nicer. But for now I have very limited use since I am new to MTG and a large majority of my cards are not in this product yet. It would be pointless to purchase it since I can't currently use it properly due to lack of cards.

Anyways keep up the great work. I'll come back in a month or 2 and check this out again.
dakka
Apprentice

Postby Azul » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:12 pm

You are delaying the inevitable :P This is the best card cataloging program out there... so you'll be back.

See you in a couple months!
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:54 am

And I agree with seeing things for yourself. Even if everything seems 'perfect' from other people's perspectives there is no substitute for knowing for sure from your own.

When I first got here I thought it was awesome but still decided to do the 1 month trial before commiting to purchasing. Even though its 'only' so much money wise I am on a fixed income so I have to count every penny. Even 5 dollars difference on a booster box is important to me for example.

Still after 3 weeks of using it I couldnt resist anymore and was convinced even though most software that has a trial I wait the full trial and only register after its expired.

Too often I've jumped the gun and then on the last day found out it had some major flaw.

So good on ya for waiting. Itl still be here and if its not you'll have proved your point. :)
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby dakka » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:13 pm

I am still working out some things too. Like I tried to open an existing theme deck and mtgstudio has the wrong edition listed on cards that don't belong to that edition.

However I managed to find the decks from mtg workstation and those worked perfectly. So if I found one thing like this there may be other such things. Every one will use the product differently and so every one will have differing opinions.

But I am pretty sure I will end up buying this...lol. So far it's a brilliant product, and for a newbie like myself it's much easier reading what the cards do and decide how to make my deck since I don't know card names.
dakka
Apprentice

Postby Nitelite » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:43 am

I used the program for a week before deciding to register. This program is great. Can't wait for next patch.
Nitelite
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback fellows. It really boosts my ego and makes me code even faster.

I am close to completing the database migrations and quite pleased with the results. Now I can search for Goblin in the card name, text, flavor text from a pool of 23K+ cards for around 300 milliseconds. The migration is worth the effort even for me since now I can test the program faster.

Please stay on the loop I will post updates and hopefully within a couple of days some teaser results for performance and database size. :wink:
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby dakka » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Wow...300 ms! That sounds very impressive. I get a brand new system on Wed so that will be so sweet with a brand new mtgstudio. I can't wait. That was one of things I found lacking in the product, but in all honesty I didn't think it could be improved much due to the size of the DB.

I can well understand why there is a delay in card updates now, this is definitely more important! Keep up the great work.
dakka
Apprentice

Next

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)