Howto Multilanguage and german cards?

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Howto Multilanguage and german cards?

Postby Eurydike » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:11 pm

Greetings

I would like to manage my german cards with MTG Studio (1.8.2).
Is a pool with german cards available and how can I activate/install it?
Eurydike
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:16 am

Sorry, German cards are not available in MTG Studio. It will be difficult for me to input all Italian, Spanish, etc.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:57 am

Have you considered the possibility of making a system where users can add stuff to your database?

I mean maybe long way down on the feature list but for example create an interface to your database that allows your loading of csv files and then release the format to the user base here.

You could tag each record with a contributer and then that contributer is responsible for those cards until maybe a certain expiration time (in the event a contributer walks off).

Then all you do is import their file (assuming you put in enough error checking to keep their mistakes from messing you up.) and if it fails you output the results and post it back to the user.

Might let people import sets they care about while at the same time being available to everyone and increasing the saleability of studio to nichey markets.

Just an idea. Be cool if people could do language cards or bizare sets that arent typical or whatever.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby TheAndrian » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:35 pm

Schwanke wrote:Have you considered the possibility of making a system where users can add stuff to your database?

<snip>

Just an idea. Be cool if people could do language cards or bizare sets that arent typical or whatever.

This is something I'd like to see. I raised the subject about foreign language cards before and it would be a huge task for Gad to do it on his own - if however a tool was made via the web for users to input foreign cards this would make things easier for him to add to the database; I'd be quite happy to put the data in for the German Revised, Italian Dark and Italian Legends sets.

Cheers
TheAndrian
Wizard
Wizard

Postby Azul » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:26 pm

I'm sure Gadd would love to have help with that sort of thing. I guess the big issue comes from it being a pay product. He would probably run into issues with people wanting compensation for helping him. He'd definitely make more money by supporting other languages but might not want to see his 'baby' taken away from him.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:36 pm

That can all be handled inside the TOS.

Something to the effect of: "All work contributed to the management of the card database via this website or any other means is considered a donation and no type of compensation monetary or otherwise will be given or should be expected."

I think the bigger issue would be the work involved. More code means more bugs and people contributing means 'other sources' of bugs. Like what happens if someone puts a wierd character into their listing or something and he didnt think of it and it eats the database somehow.

Wierder things happen the more people you have contributing to a project.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:23 pm

Definitely there are options to consider. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I have much more requested features to implement first
- collection VS set report
- prices for multiple sources
- OpenGL-based play-test mode
the list is almost endless and you can read the Backlog (http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8) for more details.

The best way to do it is to request this feature from the red "Feedback" (http://mtgstudio.uservoice.com/forums/general)button on the right of our web site. Vote for your features and wait until it appears on the first page where it is most likely to be picked up by me. :)
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Azul » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:58 pm

Please focus on other features than 'Playtest Mode' if at all possible. I know some users would like it but there are already a number of programs that can be used to playtest and are well developed.

Magic Workstation works (costs some $$) and hasn't been actively coded for in a long time (other than adding new sets). Online Playtable will probably end up being a good succesor to it. It doesn't have a huge community yet, but it does allow multiplayer games, drafting, and playing solitaire and online with decks for free.

Some decks can also be playtested in Wagic The Homebrew against a real AI. The number of supported cards is limited but a number of decks still function.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Eurydike » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:58 am

Thanks for the reply.

I am using a (hand-made) database made in Access for my german cards. So the data itself is available. If I could import the records into MTG Studio I would be ready to go.

I found hints that there are unused fields in the database that I could use for language. I could not find them. A boolean field "German" Y/N would help me to get aquainted with MTG Studio. How can I access these fields?

Greetings
Eurydike
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Eurydike wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I am using a (hand-made) database made in Access for my german cards. So the data itself is available. If I could import the records into MTG Studio I would be ready to go.

I found hints that there are unused fields in the database that I could use for language. I could not find them. A boolean field "German" Y/N would help me to get aquainted with MTG Studio. How can I access these fields?

Greetings

Please send me your MDB file to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com. I will evaluate it and let you know if it will be sufficient for import for MTG Studio.
Currently MTG Studio supports Language column but it is not displayed anywhere in the User Interface.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)