Deck VS Collection Availability Report

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Deck VS Collection Availability Report

Postby gaddlord » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:19 pm

A long waited and currently rated as #1 requested feature is on its way for 1.8.2

Deck Availability Report.

Using this report you will be able to determine if you have all cards for the deck present in your collection.

Here are the teaser screenshot of the report being exported as PDF.

GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:16 am

Any possiblity of a listing of what decks you can make? With something like "with only 5 cards or less missing" etc...

Just an idea. :D About to be the owner of 3k to 6k new cards and interested in seeing what decks I could make out of them once I enter them all lol.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:06 pm

Schwanke wrote:Any possiblity of a listing of what decks you can make? With something like "with only 5 cards or less missing" etc...

No plans for such feature. Sorry. Let me explain why.

If you have 10 decks. DECKS = 10
On average a deck has 60 card copies which is around 30 unique cards. CARDS = 30.
On average (really not relying on any real data but just a ballpark guess) a collection has 5000 cards. COLLECTION CARDS = 5000.

so we have

DECKS = 10
CARDS = 30
COLLECTION CARDS = 5000

we need to perform

10 * 30 * 5000 = 1 500 000 operations to check if the cards are present in MTG Studio.

To make it more difficult we will need to count Terror (4E) to be the same as Terror (10E).

In this case the number of operations will dramatically increase.

1. Take Terror 4E from deck 1.
2. Lookup which is the model of the 'Terror (4E)' card. There model is the unique card name stripped of any set characteristics
3. Fetch all reprints of the model like Terror (10E), Terror (4E), Terror (Promo)
4. Combine all Terror cards from the deck no matter in which set they have been printed
5. Sum all Terror card quantities
6. Take all Terror cards from the collection no matter the set they are printed in. Have in mind that full table scan must be performed since one Terror (4E) card can be present multiple times in a collection. For example the first Terror (4E) can be Foil and the second Terror (4E) row to be an autographed card.
7. Sum all quantities reprints of Terror card from collection
8. Match the Terror cards from Deck with the Terror cards from Collection qty.
9. Repeat 1..8 steps for each card in each deck

This literally could take hours if not days to finish.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:20 pm

Bummer. Guess I'll have to make educated guesses and just pick prospective decks to check against the collection.

Was hoping to attempt a different business paradigm of buying bulk card lots and making decks and selling them spending as little as possible on filling in individual high cost cards.

No idea if its feasible as a business plan but figured it might be a new take instead of the people that just buy booster boxes, rip out all the valuable rares and then sell cheezo repacks.

Kind of funny watching people try to reinvent the repack and make it sound like there might actually be good cards in there lol. You get what you pay for so if your looking for those cards its worth it but if your like me and don't realize that the first time, you get sorely disappointed when you think your getting a great deal. :P
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Arknath » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:16 pm

with regards to the OT...

How does one print a "report" based on collection to find missing cards? I don't see anything jumping out at me immediately.
Arknath
Mage
Mage

Postby Schwanke » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:50 am

I was wondering about this before but it slipped my mind to ask.

I see the deck availability report option in the reports menu but its grayed out.

Did the feature not make it in but the menu item did?

Or do I need to do something special to enable it?

I have a collection with 91 cards in it just to see what would happen. Probably cant make even a single deck but was curious about the process cuz I would love to collect/make previous designed decks for me and my family to play with.

Just in case it was a nuance with the focus thing I made sure the mode was collection from pool and the the focus was in the collection window bottom pain.

Thanks! :)
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:04 am

Schwanke wrote:I was wondering about this before but it slipped my mind to ask.

I see the deck availability report option in the reports menu but its grayed out.

Just open a deck and then the option will be available for you (since you obviously wish to check if the deck cards are present in the collection).
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:40 am

Ahh things I think are starting to become clear... :D

I thought there was going to be some magical list of decks because I see all these talks about all these special 'decks' that are popular. (Keep in mind I have been out of the scene for 10 years, 10 years ago you had 'your deck' that you played with lol.) People talk about these decks as if there is some gold standard on who made the decks and what cards are in each of them and so I thought we were going to have a list of decks to choose from kind of like a reverse on editions.

We have 'almost all of the editions' so I thought we would have 'almost all of the decks' and then we could open a premade deck and see if we have the cards for it.

If I am not mistaken we have to build the decks in the client and then use those builds to see if they are in our collection or not. A deck can have cards that arent in our collection.

Is that all right? Or is there still a list of decks somewhere that I can download/install that lets me do what I thought it was going to do in the first place? lol :D

Thanks!
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Arknath » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:21 am

Not sure if my question was overlooked...

But I'm looking for the collection report...the one that tells me what cards I have and what cards I'm missing from a collection.

Where do I find that?
Arknath
Mage
Mage

Postby Schwanke » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:29 am

My bad. Didnt read collection, read deck. I dont know where that is. Based on what he just said about decks I would expect it to be under reports when you have collection from something selected. I don see it either.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Arknath wrote:But I'm looking for the collection report...the one that tells me what cards I have and what cards I'm missing from a collection.

Where do I find that?

Sorry, I don't get it. What do you mean cards missing from a collection?

Are you talking about comparing

- Deck VS Collection or
- Collection VS Particular Edition or
- Collection VS All Cards Ever Printed?

Can you please elaborate what you miss?
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Schwanke wrote:My bad. Didnt read collection, read deck. I dont know where that is. Based on what he just said about decks I would expect it to be under reports when you have collection from something selected. I don see it either.

To see the Deck VS Collection availability report do the following:

1. Open a deck
2. Choose Reports|Deck Availability as shown below:

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:04 am

I was refering to his other request. I read his request as asking to compare his collection file to the list of known cards in a given edition.

I may be wrong but that was what I was reading it as atleast the second time. I thought that was a planned feature at one point even possibly one you mentioned was going to be in 'the next version' though that was atleast one version ago maybe two.

Yeah I can see the deck availability now. Was still hopin there was a pile of deck files somewhere that contained the popular decks people talk about on boards. Thats what I thought the deck availabilty report was gunna use.

I get a feeling somewhere in here I may actually get into using the deck design stuff. Me and my family are playing now and it might be fun to design some decks for us to play against each other based out of all these extra cards I cant sell lol :D
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Arknath » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:23 am

gaddlord wrote:Sorry, I don't get it. What do you mean cards missing from a collection?

Are you talking about comparing

- Collection VS Particular Edition or

Can you please elaborate what you miss?

Sorry for the long absence, work has been tough this week.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. :)

The second option is what I was referring to. Basically, it would be nice to, say, print out a report that does one or more of the following:

- Shows the entire list of cards with the individual cards I have (and their quantities) listed, with the cards missing from the complete collection highlighted in some way, or

- Show a list of cards from a collection that I do not have. Say, one collection has 100 cards and I have 60 of them, this report would list the 40 cards that I do not own, so that I might go out and purchase them singly if I want to

- A way to export the report into a PDF or HTML format (for posting on one's website with easy access from a smart phone if we're out and about looking for cards - so we don't have to carry a ream of paper shopping with us)

As someone said previously, it seemed that this report was going to be in one of the versions, so I'm just making sure I'm not missing it or if it had not been included in the current version just yet.

Thanks for the responses!
Arknath
Mage
Mage

Postby Arknath » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:55 pm

Any updates on this question?

Thanks
Arknath
Mage
Mage

Next

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)