Using decks to simulate multiple collections.

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Using decks to simulate multiple collections.

Postby Schwanke » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:40 pm

Wanted to start a new thread since its a slightly different topic and might be of better use to someone else later this way.

Now that I know how to change the card limit from 4 to 999 on decks. Is there any real reason why I couldnt use decks as collections? Or is there a fundamental difference in the way they are sorted/created/structured that I would get to some point of having a 200 cards in one of my deck-collections and find out it wont work?

My main use idea is that I want to be able to manage multiple lists of cards with different grades and keep track of the prices of sell and then the auto lookup of price as well.

My questions are:

Is there a limit as to how many cards you can have in a 'deck'?

Do I have to put all the cards into my collection first before putting them in a deck? There by having to add cards twice?

If the answer is yes then can you have multiple copies of the cards so you can have one of one grade and one of another?

Does the decks view have all the same fields listed as the collection view? I know I could just go look but sometimes I miss things and would rather have someone experienced answer then to make a mistaken assumption about what I saw.

I'd prefer to manage everything in one 'collection' with multiple 'deck-collections' because it does take some time to open and close the program and I could be switching between deck-collections fairly often as I sort cards into multiple groups. (Like if I go to ebay 150x-one color, I would have 5 deck-collections I would be working with at once even though it would be like 100 to 150 cards in each 'deck')

Thanks for the help in this. Look forward to multiple collections someday but hopin this hack works well enough. If it does could put off the multiple collections feature for a while and work on other more popular features that you cant hack as well.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:30 pm

Is there any real reason why I couldnt use decks as collections? Or is there a fundamental difference in the way they are sorted/created/structured that I would get to some point of having a 200 cards in one of my deck-collections and find out it wont work?

Yes. Decks are stored in XML format. A deck usually consists of 60 cards. Having a 60 cards XML decks is fast enough. But having a thousands card XML collection stored as a deck will take around a 60 seconds to load. Currently collection is stored as binary self-containing database which loads 30K cards in less than 1 second.
Avoid creating decks with more than 100 cards.

Also collections have quite a lot fileds a deck simply does not has like Qty, Used, Needed, Price, Buy At, Sell At, Group, Storage, etc.

Is there a limit as to how many cards you can have in a 'deck'?

Deck size is unlimited but more than a couple hundreds cards will make it really slow to open and save.

If the answer is yes then can you have multiple copies of the cards so you can have one of one grade and one of another?

In a deck you can not have Terror from 4E on two rows. You can have Terror 4E on one row and Terror 10E on another though.
In collection you can have one and the same reprint on as many rows as you like and then assign different grade for each row.

Does the decks view have all the same fields listed as the collection view?

Absolutely now. A collection has around 3 times more columns compared to a deck (all of them quite useful for collecting purposes).

I'd prefer to manage everything in one 'collection' with multiple 'deck-collections' because it does take some time to open and close the program

The real solution is - allow File|New, File|Open, File|Save, File|Save As to work for collections and support as many collections as you like.
And as a second step - allow having 2 collections both open at a time the same way you can open 2 decks at a time.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:28 pm

That would so rock. I think I already voted for it on the feedback. Think its like 5th place at the moment.

I'll have to figure out if I want to do the close copy open collection file thing with one portable install or have multiple portable installs. Thing is I am managing the collections across multiple machines so it might make more sense for me to hack some batch files to rename collection files for me automatically and launch studio. Then I can just ftp all the collections to one folder and use the batch files to copy and launch the individual collection I want to work with. Have a LoadCollectionX.bat and a SaveCollectionX.bat and just remember to do them before and after. Should be a piece of cake just gotta take the time to do it and im a lazy schlub 99% of the time lol. :D

There's like a 99.9999999999% chance I'll by purchasing at the end of my trial. I am darn well in love with the program already and good communication with the developer is a major factor in my decision to buy software that doesnt have 'everything' I want. So the fact that my major desires are already on a list, an automated list at that and you reply to darn near every post on here thats worth 20$s no sweat.

I've just learned as a safety margin to always run out the trial in the off chance that in the last day you think of something it absolutely must do and doesnt lol. Have had it happen atleast once lol.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:15 pm

Thing is I am managing the collections across multiple machines so it might make more sense for me to hack some batch files to rename collection files for me automatically and launch studio.

I do the same myself using the free dropbox.com software which automatically keeps in sync my working and home PCs. Worth give it a try until the multi-collection feature is implemented.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:25 pm

I get itchy about using remote file storage systems. I've had atleast two 'die' on me (like the company go under or quit offering it for free) and then I either lost the data or had to research another solution. I prefer to try to make things work with what I have as best as possible or atleast something where I can keep a copy of the software in case the company disappears I still have the last working version.

Though I just had an idea about possibly trying to find a utility that would allow me to treat a directory on my ftp site as a local directory on my two machines. That would just be a nifty tool to have in general and feels like the kind of thing that must have been done by now lol. Get a stable version now and wont have to worry about it not working unless the OS changes drastically like the way the vista service pack ate half the blue tooth drivers for laptops. :P

I would use like tortosesvn or however you spell it except that I found the svn plugin for explorer drasticaly slowed down my machine over time. If I could afford a real svn that would be the way to go I think.

I may cave and do dropbox at some point but for now I think im gunna try the ftp route some more. I already have to upload the catalog to the ftp to back it up each time after I work on a bunch of records. Both of my machines are unstable due to failing hardware thats older then God so I have to keep an eye on current backups anyway.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:32 pm

Since dropbox has been mentioned a couple times on here I noticed when it was mentioned in the first link I found on my search for an ftp directory sync program. However along side it was mention of a drop box style system thats supposedly better then drop box.

Figured I would share the link just incase it interests people here.

http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/16/web ... space.html

I may check that out if I give up on the ftp solution only cuz it compares the two and shows the extra features of live mesh over drop box.

Thanks for the ideas though. If you hadnt mentioned drop box I wouldnt be seriosly considering giving up my ftp solution lol. :D
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:35 pm

Well forget that. Live Mesh is being replaced by Live Sync which doesnt even run under XP and my main machine is XP. Guess its dropbox if i go that route. Drop box will win the battle atleast in partial respect just because of supporting XP. Lots of people hate vista and more hate 7.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:50 am

Well forget that. Live Mesh is being replaced by Live Sync which doesnt even run under XP and my main machine is XP.

The Dropbox works just fine for me since it support both Mac, Windows, iPad.
I develop on Mac, rest on Windows and browse from iPad.
If you plan using it I have sent you an invitation which upon being accepted will grant me additional 250 MB. Thank you. :wink:
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:56 am

Yeah. I was gunna look for that invitation and accept it anyway for the bonus for you even if I didnt use it beyond whatever it takes to get you the bonus.

I may use it though who knows.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Schwanke » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:21 pm

I signed up for drop box though I am not using it yet. Let me know if you got your 250meg or do I have to do something else besides create an account.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)