Art WotC download?

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Art WotC download?

Postby Schwanke » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:19 pm

Curious what the option for WotC download in the art options means. Is studio downloading the art directly from WotC? Is that legal?

I am assuming it is because I could see major lawsuits based on what I read about the multiplayer cease and desist stuff and you were obviosly worried about that.

Love to use the art for my own project but wanna find somewhere to read the limitations and so forth on its use if its even possible to use it like I think its being used here?

Thanks for any help. :)
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Curious what the option for WotC download in the art options means. Is studio downloading the art directly from WotC? Is that legal?

At least it is not illegal. Any browser can display their card art, MTG Studio uses only a well formed URL, no hacks, no black magic.

It has always been on the edge of legal/illegal to have card images available on a web site.
I even wrote to their Legal department asking for instructions what I have to do in order to be "licensed" to use them. They never replied which is quite common for them.

I believe they keep this question still open since it they disallow scanning images and making them available online all card stores will simply vanish. And we all know what amount of cards is currently exchanged through them.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Schwanke » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Ahh ok. That makes sense. You think like I do. Outside the box enough to be a nuisance but not enough to break the law. :D :D :D

I think in the sense of hosting their art seperately, like if it was downloaded or scanned from a card then put in a seperate server that violates copyright law but they get so much benefit from it that they only reserve invoking that in the cases where something else is a threat to their income.

Kind of like the way there's lots of laws on the books for police officers pretty much in every country that are technically illegal but they let you slide 99% of the time unless they want to investigate you and then they use it as part of thier suspicion of intent or whatever its called to check you out and look for other things.

On a side note I was trying to decifer their legalize for 'fair use' of their imagery and the best I could find was they dont really mind if you use it so long as your not making a proffit from it directly but your allowed to take 'donations'. That seems to be their legal stance but like you said if they cracked down on the number of stores that use their card art for advertising for their sales it would be the end of it.
Schwanke
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)