Collection/Inventory feature question

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Collection/Inventory feature question

Postby ishopper » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Is there a tutorial or wiki setup for how to add your collection into MTG. This would be a manual add, not an import. I have checked all the menu's and dont see an option of where to start one.
ishopper

Postby Keiser » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:48 pm

If you 1. don't care about specific editions of cards 2. have good typing skills and 3. have an organized collection, the easiest way I've found is manually typing out your collection into text files and importing those as a deck.

For instance once I have a stack of cards I want to input (typically sorted into color and then alphabetically so all of the same cards are grouped together) I would then take a handful (say 15-20 cards total or 5-6 unique cards) and spread them in front of my keyboard so I can see all of them. Then type them first with quantity and then full card name into a text file.

An excerpt of the first blue import text file I made:
Code: Select all
1 Abjure
2 Advice from the Fae
4 Air Elemental
1 Ancestral Memories
1 Animate Artifact
2 Apathy
2 Arnjlot's Ascent
1 Artificial Evolution
3 Aura of Dominion
1 Azure Drake
1 Backfire
2 Balduvian Shaman
1 Benthicore
3 Binding Grasp
3 Blue Elemental Blast

Once I have the file filled with as many cards as I want (I limited each file by color of card for organization's sake), I then open the file in MTGS as a deck, highlighted all entries, and added to collection. I ignore the warning about adding lots of cards at once, never had a problem.

DRAWBACK to this method is that it can occasionally add an entire line to the collection instead of just updating the quantity. I believe this happens because when you type out the card as above it uses the most recent edition. If you then import cards from Worldwake that you already have an older version of in the collection, it would now have a row for each of them. You would have to fix it manually if you care, or you can live with multiple rows.
Keiser

Re: Collection/Inventory feature question

Postby Son_of_the_Raven » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:03 pm

ishopper wrote:Is there a tutorial or wiki setup for how to add your collection into MTG. This would be a manual add, not an import. I have checked all the menu's and dont see an option of where to start one.

On the menu bar on the right hand side of the window there is a drop down box with three options. Choose "Pool to Collection." After that you can filter the list of Pool Cards or search the list for the card you are trying to add. Once it is highlighted (and make sure the edition is right if that is important to you) press the Plus (+) key on your keyboard and you will add 1 card to your Collection Inventory.
V/R,
Son of the Raven
Son_of_the_Raven

Postby gaddlord » Sun May 02, 2010 4:12 pm

You are right.
There is no ultra fast way to add many cards with their quantities in a bulk command.

I would like to bring to your attention the not very known feature for

Drag and Drop with holded Ctrl+Shift - it will bring a window to ask you how many copies of the card you wish to add.

I also found that "+" and "Inc" buttons are not available on my Mac keyboard.

I will have to
1. Add support for + and Inc on the Mac keyboard
2. Popup the "Choose Number of Copies" dialog if Ctrl+Shift were holded while pressing either "+" or "Inc" buttons

If this is available you will be able to do the following
1. Focus the card pool
2. Start typing the first letters of the card (the incremental search in the grid will automatically switch focus as you type)
3. Press "+" with Ctrl + Shift holded
4. type "3" if this is the required quantity of the card
5. Press Enter to add that number of cards to the Collection.

In this case adding 3 terrors from the latest edition will be
"terror"
Ctrl+Shift+ +
Enter

I know even if this is supported it is not blazing fast.

I will also consider having a "Paste Deck from Clipboard" dialog as the old Magic Workstation had.

GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:09 pm

GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)