Multiplayer - Progress on Multi-player Component?

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Multiplayer - Progress on Multi-player Component?

Postby Azul » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:24 pm

:P It may be annoying to get asked but there doesn't seem to be many updates in this thread.

How goes the multi-player component? Is it on semi-permanent hiatus until you get the Studio perfect or is it still being actively work on?
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaines » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:29 am

I would also like to know where this is at as I'm trying to decide whether it will be worth spending $20 to purchase MTG Studio. An update on progress towards new features would definitely help. :D
gaines
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:42 pm

There is no intensive work on the Multiplayer. This is due to that fact that we already provide support for almost any multiplayer available so far by allowing you to save the desired deck in third party deck formats.

Unfortunately WotC is killing everything on its way which has some sort of multiplayer inbuilt. So far we have been living friendly with WotC and we owe them nothing.

If multiplayer is developed, it should be planned very-very carefully since it may lead to "Cease & Desist Order" which shuts down the whole mtgstudio.com site and future program updates.

If you are searching for a good multiplayer though for the time being I recommend MWS Play (from Magic Workstation) and MTG Online for ruled and non-ruled games.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

WHat online play programs are supported?

Postby Rondabon » Tue May 17, 2011 1:02 am

Can I save decks from MTG studio in octgn or OPT format? If this can be done then I will definitely be registering.

Also, can I try saving a deck I make in MTG studios in other formats with the trial version, or do I have to register before I can save in different formats? Any help on how to do this would be great.
The following sentence contradicts this one. The sentence preceding this one makes a good point.
Rondabon
Mage
Mage

Postby gaddlord » Tue May 17, 2011 2:57 pm

OCTGN1 format is supported, MWS Play, and several other. The trial version allows you to save decks in various formats the same way the fully registered one. The only restriction the trial version has is the 30 days evaluation period.

I am interested if you could provide a sample OPT deck and the full cardbase for it in order to have a look at their card identifiers. Is OPT the extension for OCTGN or another multiplyer?
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Azul » Tue May 17, 2011 3:59 pm

OnlinePlayTable is its own program and isn't affiliated with OCTGN in any way. I've tried asking Jorbes to add support for MTGStudio format decks but he has more things to deal with right now.

It's probably not too necessary to do anything though. OPT already supports a number of deck formats (mainly .mwDeck) so you can just save in that format. It might be nice to have a batch file conversion option to resave all my decks into another format, but things are okay right now.
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby Azul » Tue May 17, 2011 4:02 pm

If you set buildmode in the OPT deck editor to OnlinePlayTable this is what it spits out.

I saved the file as SuperRandom.dck and just clicked a bunch of cards.

// NAME: SuperRandom Deck
//
// This deck file was generated by MTG Deckbuilder.
// MTG Deckbuilder is part of the Online PlayTable software package.
// For more info and other great free magic the gathering software
// visit http://www.onlineplaytable.com - Home of Online PlayTable, a free online magic client
//
1 [ARC] A Display of My Dark Power
1 [OD] Abandoned Outpost
1 [ME2] Abbey Gargoyles
1 [WL] Abeyance
1 [EVT] Abolish
1 [OD] Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor
1 [10E] Abundance
1 [TO] Accelerate
1 [SOM] Acid Web Spider
1 [TO] Acorn Harvest
1 [M11] Alluring Siren
1 [TE] Altar Of Dementia
1 [8E] Ambition's Cost
1 [US] Falter
1 [ST] Fanning the Flames
1 [6E] Fatal Blow
1 [LRW] Favor of the Mighty
1 [ME4] Shivan Dragon
1 [FUT] Shivan Sand-Mage
1 [ALA] Shore Snapper
1 [WWK] Shoreline Salvager
1 [MD] Shrapnel Blast
1 [LRW] Windbrisk Heights
1 [ZEN] Windrider Eel
1 [ON] Windswept Heath
Azul
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

Postby gaddlord » Tue May 17, 2011 4:28 pm

OPT seems much easier to support.
- It has the sets in pure visible sets file definition.
- The card names are pretty much the same and the format is plain text.
- it is written in Delphi which means that if GoblinHero can code it for OPT, we can code it for MTG Studio as well without any modifications
- it comes from a highly-respected source (slightlymagic.com). 90% of the HQ scans of Magic cards come from their forums.

where for OCTGN2
- the cardbase is Vista DB version 3 database which is not a free product
- it is old (Vista DB version 4 is the latest)
- the card and set id as GUIDs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globally_unique_identifier) which are lenght and not easy to remember
- the deck files are XML based which is again implying that you cannot write them immediately in Notepad
- the program is written in .NET 4.0 and used ClickOnce for deploying newer version which are stored in hidden folders at c:\Users\[User]\App\...

If I start supporting one of those I would rather go into the OPT direction. Sorry OCTGN2 but you made your soft hard to integrate with.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Well, fine, but are yu going to do it?

Postby Rondabon » Tue May 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Online player table support would be great. Do you think you'll work on that soon?
The following sentence contradicts this one. The sentence preceding this one makes a good point.
Rondabon
Mage
Mage

Postby gaddlord » Wed May 18, 2011 12:57 am

I hope those 2 teaser screenshots of 1.8.7 version will answer the question ;)

and

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)