Searching

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Searching

Postby buymeagoat » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:03 pm

I just bought this program yesterday and am very disappointed. When I click on the query box at the top and type in the name of the card for which I want to add to my collection, it is slow to respond. Sometimes it doesn't actually select the box properly and typing does nothing. If I click again too soon, it will add the previously searched card to my collection (EXTREMELY annoying!) I need to click once, wait a second and click again for it to take. Then, I have to pause a moment again for the program to get its bearings so I can start typing. If I start typing too soon, it will only catch part of what I'm typing. This process makes cataloging my collection slow and cumbersome. Again, I'm very disappointed. In addition, there's nothing in the help file section about creating a collection. I had to search this forum to find the obscure spot in the program where I can switch to collection mode.
buymeagoat
Apprentice

Postby buymeagoat » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Oh, in addition, if you don't have the proper case, it won't find the card. Apparently gRip and Grip aren't the same thing.
buymeagoat
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:35 pm

Please try to type for the card name directly in the grid (not the blank line above). This will navigate to your card faster. You can use the Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down keys to navigate to the next and previous results.

I totally agree that the top search bar is annoyingly slow. I don't use it myself either. I will look into optimizing it in the future. Thanks for reporting.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby buymeagoat » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:47 pm

Okay, that makes things a bit easier. However, when I type a name into the grid, it brings me to the first available version of that particular card. How do I jump to the next version of that card? It just seems like the search process could be greatly improved. Right now, the most intuitive option is the least workable. The best option isn't intuitive.

It would be nice to have an option to simply add cards based on name regardless of card version. That way I can simply see how many dark rituals I have rather than seeing a column of dark rituals from different sets.
buymeagoat
Apprentice

Postby MasterTek » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:19 am

Hi, If you haven't experienced the filter section yet, I suggest you to try it. This is a far more powerful way to search.

In this section, you can search with many criteria like the name of the card. In the example of your dark ritual, you just have to click the filter button, check Card Name and write "Dark Ritual".

Don't forget to go in the "options" tab of the filter section. You have to check Case Insensitive and you will have your results.

I hope this help. Personnally, I use this program for over a year now and playing each week with 7 of my friends and honnestly, this is by far the most powerful toy for deck and collection building and managing.
MasterTek

Postby gaddlord » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:41 pm

buymeagoat wrote:However, when I type a name into the grid, it brings me to the first available version of that particular card. How do I jump to the next version of that card?

Use Ctrl+Up or Ctrl+Down.

Right now, the most intuitive option is the least workable. The best option isn't intuitive.

I agree on that. The top search bar is not developed by us but by a third company. It is still slow and a bit misleading. I will try to work it out.

It would be nice to have an option to simply add cards based on name regardless of card version.

You can use the View|Unique Only filter to see only the latest versions of each card.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby gaddlord » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:43 pm

Your requests were added to the backlog as C135 and C136 at http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... =3103#3103
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby buymeagoat » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:50 am

Thanks for all the help, guys. This definitely clears things up. I would strongly suggest creating a help file or putting some of these things in the startup tips (like the ctrl+up/down or typing in the grid).

I have one more idea. When I click on a card in my collection and remove a card from my collection, it jumps up to another area in the list not close to where I was. If I remove a mountain, after it is removed the highlighted card will jump up to distant spot in the list. Would it be possible simply to go to the next card on the list?
buymeagoat
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:31 am

When I click on the query box at the top and type in the name of the card for which I want to add to my collection, it is slow to respond. Sometimes it doesn't actually select the box properly and typing does nothing.

The search box on top should also be fixed in the latest 1.8.3 version.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)