Some questions about the program

General ideas, features requests, comments, concerns, complaints about MTG Studio desktop application

Moderator: gaddlord

Some questions about the program

Postby Yehlan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:24 pm

Hello,

Ive currently been using Magic Workstation for about a month now and luckily as i had just decided to register it i found out its not being developed anymore so would have been a big waste of money and someone on there forums mentioned this program.

Basically what im wondering is does magic studio do everything i need that magic workstation is doing for me now. If so ill download studio test for a week or 2 then register otherwise i might as well stick with what i have since it works well enough.

The main features im using right now are the following:

1. Collection database includeing name, quantity in collection as well a place to set how many are currently used in decks.

2. Ability to design decks not only from the main database but also from my current collection.

3. When building a deck from collection it shows if i have none, some or all of the cards i need for it by a change in colour text. As well filtering sets in and out of view incase your building a deck for a specific function e.g. Standard, extended, legacy

Those are the big 3 that workstation is doing for me that i cant afford to lose

Theres also a few features that would make me quickly pickup your program and register a copy for myself and more than likely one for my wife if the interface is simple enough for her to use.

1. Ability to update card prices daily if i do so choose through an import/update function. As well not only an ability to update prices from a since source but update them and average the different prices from multiple sources. Price updates for www.trollandtoad.com as this is the main site used for trade price comparissons at the store i goto though in no way a big deal if it doesnt just a selfish hope. :)

2. When building a deck having the program automaticaly set those cards as used in your collection so when you go through your collection to see if you have the card someone is looking for it will tell you how many are in decks so you know if you have any for trade.

3. When filtering out different sets for use for example setting the filter to show only sets in the standard block having the program do a name search as well from previous sets to show cards that are still viable from your collection for example in standard Boomerang is viable since its in 10th edition but boomerang has also been printed from older sets now i dont own any 10th edition boomerangs but i own some from several other sets and having the program show me that i have boomerangs in my collection even though the filter would normaly make the sets there in not show would help greatly otherwise id have to change all my boomerangs to 10th edition so they show up when im making a standard deck which makes it annoying if someone is trying to finish a collection and needs a specific cards from a specific set.

Those are high on my wish list as it would make things so much simpler for me.

As well if anyone knows of a feature in this program that just from what ive posted im looking for might show me even more benefit to the program that would be greatly appreciated as well since ive been finding new features in the program im using i didnt know about that i didnt know how i was doing without.

Thank you for you time anyone who reads and/or replys to this post i understand its a bit of a hastle answering peoples questions especialy lengthy ones like some of mine

Have a great day

Yehlan
Yehlan
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:54 pm

The main features im using right now are the following:

Collection database includeing name, quantity in collection as well a place to set how many are currently used in decks.

MTG Studio has those.

2. Ability to design decks not only from the main database but also from my current collection.

MTG Studio 1.6.8 will have it. Currently there is a beta which does so at http://www.mtgstudio.com/download/beta/ ... _1.6.8.zip

3. When building a deck from collection it shows if i have none, some or all of the cards i need for it by a change in colour text.

No support for that one yet.

4. As well filtering sets in and out of view incase your building a deck for a specific function e.g. Standard, extended, legacy

Supported.

5. Ability to update card prices daily if i do so choose through an import/update function.

Available since 1.8.3 version.

6. As well not only an ability to update prices from a since source but update them and average the different prices from multiple sources.

Available since 1.8.3 version.

7. Price updates for www.trollandtoad.com as this is the main site used for trade price comparissons at the store i goto though in no way a big deal if it doesnt just a selfish hope.

No supported currently only HasturHobbies, ABUGames and Magic Traders are supported. Do you know how trollandtoad.com export their pricelists. Do they support some kind of prices dump that I can import?

8. When building a deck having the program automaticaly set those cards as used in your collection so when you go through your collection to see if you have the card someone is looking for it will tell you how many are in decks so you know if you have any for trade.

Vote for this at http://mtgstudio.uservoice.com/forums/16948-mtg-studio-suggestions/suggestions/450280-collection-automatically-tracks-quantities-used-up

When filtering out different sets for use for example setting the filter to show only sets in the standard block having the program do a name search as well from previous sets to show cards that are still viable from your collection for example in standard Boomerang is viable since its in 10th edition but boomerang has also been printed from older sets now i dont own any 10th edition boomerangs but i own some from several other sets and having the program show me that i have boomerangs in my collection even though the filter would normaly make the sets there in not show would help greatly otherwise id have to change all my boomerangs to 10th edition so they show up when im making a standard deck which makes it annoying if someone is trying to finish a collection and needs a specific cards from a specific set.

Vote for this at http://mtgstudio.uservoice.com/forums/16948-mtg-studio-suggestions/suggestions/1598687-cards-for-old-sets-to-be-legal-if-reprinted?ref=title

As well if anyone knows of a feature in this program that just from what ive posted im looking for might show me even more benefit to the program that would be greatly appreciated as well since ive been finding new features in the program im using i didnt know about that i didnt know how i was doing without.

Thank you for you time anyone who reads and/or replys to this post i understand its a bit of a hastle answering peoples questions especialy lengthy ones like some of mine

Be very welcome. This is what MTG Studio is all about. It has been written as a replacement of Magic Workstation (even not a full one). We currently do not support Sealed Deck Generator, George Baxter’s Analysis, Magic Workstation Security Code, Custom Sets, Cropped Images, Multiplayer, Solitaire play, Importing Prices.

But MTG Studio has the following which is missing in MWS:
ability to edit multiple deck simultaneously
Support for both reading and writing decks in all industry standard formats MTGO II, MTGO III, MWS, Apprentice, Shandalar, Magic Suitcase and other. MWS only reads several of those but can only save in proprietary .mwDeck.
better filtering
almost twice larger card database
support for non-English card names, types, texts, flavors
Support for downloading card art images from the net from various sources
Support for card art images from Magic Encyclopedia
Filter MTGO cards
Incremental search by card name in the card pool
Much better UI and saving all UI user preferences
Active project being actively developed since 2003
Better Rules panel with much more info
Artist browser with info on the Artists (eases finding their postal addresses for “sing my card” requests)
DCI Registration Deck print sheet
I guess there are more.
Actually you can have a look at the Feature Comparison Matrix at http://mtgstudio.com/FeatureComparison.aspx
Last edited by gaddlord on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby shmebula » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:54 pm

I recently found MTG Studio after playing with MWS for a while. I've been getting sick of that program with bugs and non-support, so I'm seriously considering MTG Studio. There's a couple of things I wanted to learn first.

You say above that MTG Studio supports "Filter MTGO cards". How does it do this? Is it possible to have more than one collection file?

Also, I haven't found an easy way to import my MTGO collection. I've been able to export it into a .csv file, but no way to import it into MTG Studio. Web and forum searches haven't given me the answer.

Thanks!
shmebula

Postby gaddlord » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:41 pm

You say above that MTG Studio supports "Filter MTGO cards". How does it do this?

From View|MTGO Cards Only you will be able to filter the whole list of Magic cards ever printed to the more narrow MTGO-supported cards. Being this way you will be sure that you are not putting a non-MTGO card into your MTGO deck you are building.

Is it possible to have more than one collection file?

Currently only one collection file is supported.

Also, I haven't found an easy way to import my MTGO collection. I've been able to export it into a .csv file, but no way to import it into MTG Studio. Web and forum searches haven't given me the answer.

Currently there is no such support. If you ensist enough perhaps I can develop one for you. ;)
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby shmebula » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:02 pm

I'd even be happy if I were able to convert it into a deck list and then move it into the collection.

Though, what I really want is a way to track both online and offline cards in one program, if possible, even if it involves different collections. I see that it's not possible right now. I was just looking for something simpler to use to build/track than MTGO for my digital cards.

Loving the program though - looks great. I'm sure you'll see my $20 soon. Thanks for the fast response.
shmebula

Postby gaddlord » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:03 pm

shmebula wrote:Though, what I really want is a way to track both online and offline cards in one program, if possible,

Have you noticed the "Print Type". You can use it to specify is the card "Paper", "Virtual", or "Proxy".
This way you can add all your paper and virtual cards in one collection and filter them by Print Type.

gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to General Discussions (MTG Studio)