Crowdsourcing the card pool file

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see while creating and editing my collection in MTG Studio...

Crowdsourcing the card pool file

Postby Scytale » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:49 am

Keeping the core MTG Studio card pool up-to-date has got to be a lot of work. Work that could otherwise be spent on developing lovely new features. So, a suggestion:

:arrow: Why not crowd-source the updating of the card pool file?

It would mean having 100s of people all sending through corrections, updates etc. You could vet them and release a new card pool.

It would mean that the development of a new edition, i.e. Conflux, would begin at the spoiler stage (people already want to note which cards they are going to buy) and would be almost instantly available come the release.
MTG studio version: 1.6.6.2461 + updated hfw
Scytale

Postby Loki Stormrunner » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:46 pm

wow, this is an amazing idea.. you could have all the mtg/mtg studio nuts tear through the cards and do exactly what you tell us to do, i.e putting the info in the right format

beautiful scytale, beautiful :D
Loki Stormrunner

Postby gaddlord » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:27 pm

The release of the new sets is not a problem for me. It takes me not more than 2-3 hours to add a release (and I do it manually not using a spoiler).

The delays are due to the fact that the database for the card pool behind the scenes has alot changing structure behind. I do it in a way that the MTG Studio user does not see any change behind the scene but believe me if you have to add the cards by yourself you will have to do it in more than 30 different tables without having the tools I usually do (some internal ones with autocomplete, highlighting, automatic CMC calculation, card color determination based on Mana Cost. And I have about 30 automatic procedures searching for card inconsistencies such as Creature cards without Power, etc.)

You also have to manually update the card legality for each of the 38 formats supported so far. Yes I know I show only 4 Standard, Extended, Legacy and Vintage but soon I will release a new version with support for all formats invented (or at least I have heard of). Such ones as Pauper, Commander, 100 Card Singleton (Highlander), Momir Basic, MTGO Prismatic, Core Set Constructed and much more.

And you will have to translate the cards by yourself. This feature is also available on database level but yet not exposed in the interface.

and enter the F.A.Q. for each card...

and whenever Wizards decide to make again something funny such as Little Girl, BFM, Gleemox, or Progenitus, Flip Cards, Split Cards the tool will fail to input the new "extraordinary" data and again you will have to wait for the "official" release.

As an end I would say that building the current MTG Studio database took me ages (since 14 Auguest 2003 to be more precise) and most of the data within is manually checked with a real card scan by me, not just compared to a spoiler.
I think currently MTG Studio is the most complete Magic card database in the world (including gatherer and MTG Online). Please correct me if I am wrong. In order to maintain it clear of errors I think making it available to everyone is not the best way to do it.

I think we can go the other way around. Make an automatic update feature in MTG Studio and whenever there is an errata
1. Fill a web form at mtgstudio.com and report the problem
2. I receive those forms every day by mail
3. Validate the required change.
4. Update the card database and release an update
5. The next time you start your MTG Studio it say "Hey, there is a patch for the database with X new cards, Y updated cards. Wish to download?"

This suits me better since in this way I will have centralized control over what is requested and patched.

And this should not happen a lot. In order to have the picture of how often such updates will happen (apart from the standard set release schedule) I can tell you than so far I think I have not more than 50 errata to be fixed in a period of 7 years.

The big issue behind the scenes is "Why I takes so long to release a new version when there is a new Magic set released?"

And the answer is simple - since it takes a lot to complete and test the new functionality added to the current source code branch and release the new program features along with the card pool update.

I plan changing my release strategy and start supporting 2 source code versions
A. with the latest public release
B. with the completely new features

Whenever there is a new set I take A. add the new set cards and release it immediately. Copy the updated card database to B. and continue working on B.

When B. features are tested I release B and B. becomes A. and the process continues on and on.

But is just something internal to do. I promise whenever the next set is released the MTG Studio update would take not more than 2 days to be released.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Postby Scytale » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:00 am

Fundamentally, I totally agree.

I would also not suggest opening the raw data up to the community but, as you suggest, provide a submission mechanism that would then go through some content approval.

The ideal is (1) a mechanism whereby people can freely submit content, (2) a pool of people who can approve content and (3) a mechanism to update the client, as you suggest.

You do comment though that there are a number of manual steps in the process which take time and effort. It is this kind of activity, e.g. entering the FAQ, that benefits from crowd-sourcing. This does not mean errors enter into the process as you control it through content approval. It does mean that some of the strain is distributed through willing contributors.

What would be interesting is the database understanding Draft and Approved content. People could then choose whether to see Draft content, e.g. cards entered pre-release. This allows for a mechanism by which people can already start to build, say, Conflux decks in anticipation of the release.

Ultimately I see it as it an upfront expenditure (submission, approval, download mechanisms) for a long term reduction in effort.
MTG studio version: 1.6.6.2461 + updated hfw
Scytale

Postby gaddlord » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:23 am

GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Collection Suggestions (MTG Studio)