MTG Studio Collection First impressions

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see while creating and editing my collection in MTG Studio...

MTG Studio Collection First impressions

Postby zorbaelbudha » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:55 pm

Well, finally yesterday I managed to begin entering the information of my collection in MTG Studio and have some remarks about it.

1. First of all I gotta say that the ability to sort cards by collection number is awesome as it makes the entry of the cards I own a breeze.

2. Then I'm using Windows Vista and have an error when I use the up and down arrow keys in the master base, if I keep pressed one of these buttons to move through the base (maybe 20 or so cards) the program freezes. I believe that it could be because it tries to render the image of the cards too fast (maybe is trying to render image X and then image Y and that creates an infinite wait loop somewhere.

3. I noticed that in your master base Yixlid Jailer (from Future Sight) is marked as common when it is an uncommon (as I continue to enter the info of my inventory any other error like this will be documented). Also I wanted to know when the Jace Vrs Chandra cards will be added and if someone has the images for the Promotional cards (coded PR) with the numbers correctly assigned (I assume that these cards should have their filenames with the info on the brackets included).

Now these are more technical questions:
a. What's the primary key of the collection, or in other words, could I have two lines of the same card and set. This is because you have foil as a checkbox (in my opinion foil should be a number to indicate how many foils you have). Of course if I could have many lines for the same card, one should be foil and the other not and the sum of both quantities give me total. On this note, I believe that the field Condition should be part of the key as I could have some cards in better condition that others.
b. About condition, I believe that it should be initialized as Near Mint instead of unknown, or I should be able to determine the initial value on the Options windos.
c. What's the intended function of the fields "Storage", "Used", "Excess", "Needed", "Target". I have an idea but I need some clarification.Nevermind, I read the tag popups.
d. Why the lines of the collection are not color coded as the lines on the master base and the decks?
e. Is there a way to see statistics of my collection?
f. When the collection is saved? Everytime I add a card? every X seconds? when I close the application? Or in other words, how much work will I lose if I suffer a power loss or my computer freezes?
g. Will be a way to export/import collections? I'm asking this because (i) I want to know how to backup my collection file and (ii) What if I want to make a global update on my collection (say, put all Excess to 0 if I manage to get rid of them or all Condition to Near Mint to begin with.

And Finally a couple of questions that don't have anything to do with the functionality of the program but are bothering me:
I. Why aren't you using the same abbreviations as WoTC (as for example CS for Coldsnap instead of CSP).
II. Why the masterbase has the printed text instead of the current oracle wording? I believe that when the baloon pops up on the image it should display the current oracle wording instead of the printed text.

Thanks in advance and keep up with this fine program
zorbaelbudha

Postby gaddlord » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:44 am

1. First of all I gotta say that the ability to sort cards by collection number is awesome as it makes the entry of the cards I own a breeze.

Thanks

2. Then I'm using Windows Vista and have an error when I use the up and down arrow keys in the master base, if I keep pressed one of these
buttons to move through the base (maybe 20 or so cards) the program freezes. I believe that it could be because it tries to render the image of the cards too fast (maybe is trying to render image X and then image Y and that creates an infinite wait loop somewhere.

Should be fixed in 1.8.3.

3. I noticed that in your master base Yixlid Jailer (from Future Sight) is marked as common when it is an uncommon

Fixed in 1.8.3

I continue to enter the info of my inventory any other error like this will be documented).

Thank you.

Also I wanted to know when the Jace Vrs Chandra cards will be added

Present in 1.8.3

if someone has the images for the Promotional cards (coded PR) with the numbers correctly assigned (I assume that these cards should have their filenames with the info on the brackets included).

The 1.8.3 version downloads all needed images for you so you don't have to take care of them.

a. What's the primary key of the collection, or in other words, could I have two lines of the same card and set. This is because you have foil as a checkbox (in my opinion foil should be a number to indicate how many foils you have). Of course if I could have many lines for the same card, one should be foil and the other not and the sum of both quantities give me total. On this note, I believe that the field Condition should be part of the key as I could have some cards in better condition that others.

Prior to 1.8.3 version the primary key was the timestamp in milliseconds calcualted in Unix epoch time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time).
Since version 1.8.3 it is an unique integer value.

b. About condition, I believe that it should be initialized as Near Mint instead of unknown, or I should be able to determine the initial value on the Options window.

Vote for this at http://mtgstudio.uservoice.com/forums/16948-mtg-studio-suggestions/suggestions/1610731-default-condition-to-be-near-mint?ref=title

c. What's the intended function of the fields "Storage", "Used", "Excess", "Needed", "Target". I have an idea but I need some clarification.Nevermind, I read the tag popups.

Yes tooltips pretty much explain. Feel free to use them the way you like. We do not have any logic behind those for automated calculations.

d. Why the lines of the collection are not color coded as the lines on the master base and the decks?

They are in 1.8.3.

e. Is there a way to see statistics of my collection?

Vote for this at http://mtgstudio.uservoice.com/forums/16948-mtg-studio-suggestions/suggestions/1610727-add-statitistics-for-the-collection?ref=title

f. When the collection is saved? Everytime I add a card? every X seconds? when I close the application? Or in other words, how much work will I lose if I suffer a power loss or my computer freezes?

Since version 1.8.3 each change you make to your collection it is saved immediately.

g. Will be a way to export/import collections? I'm asking this because (i) I want to know how to backup my collection file and (ii) What if I want to make a global update on my collection (say, put all Excess to 0 if I manage to get rid of them or all Condition to Near Mint to begin with.

Import from File|Import is available. Support for previous MTG Studio, Magic Worstation, Magic Suitcase, and Magic Analyst is available. MTG Online import is pending.
Export to Excel, Html, Plain Text, and XML is available from Cards|Export

I. Why aren't you using the same abbreviations as WoTC (as for example CS for Coldsnap instead of CSP).

Nice one. Each since vendor has their own set abbreviations. We stay as close as possible to the WotC ones. And btw the Coldsnap abbreviation in MTG Studio is CSP.
Full list of them is available at http://mtgstudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Supported_Editions

II. Why the masterbase has the printed text instead of the current oracle wording? I believe that when the baloon pops up on the image it should display the current oracle wording instead of the printed text.

In 1.8.3 it displays both.

Thank you for your valuable input. As a small remark please report separate issues in separate topics in order to be able to reply to them easier and be able to track them separately.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Return to Collection Suggestions (MTG Studio)