Actions for any Collection

Suggest improvements and features you'd like to see while creating and editing my collection in MTG Studio...

Actions for any Collection

Postby Scytale » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:25 am

The Collection seems to be missing some key features that would really make it useable. Rather than looking at the features, I would like to consider what does one really need from a Collection.

My standard actions would be:

- Move card from Pool to Collection (Already present)
- Mark cards in Collection as Have or Wanted (Already present)
- Set details about a card in the Collection, e.g. Foil, number, condition (Already present)
- Add card from Collection to Deck (Missing)
- Remove card from Deck to Collection (Missing)
- Move card from one Deck to another Deck (Missing)
- View the Collection and see those cards in Decks (Present - if you use say Group field)
- Import a Deck into a Collection with some defaults - e.g. Desired = Wanted

At present I use the Group field to indicate which Deck the cards are in. This only deficiency here is then moving a Card into a Deck. If I have a card with Qty 4 in the Collection then what I have to do is:

"Remove 1 Qty from the card. Find the card in the Card Pool, add it to the collection, say No, find in the Collection, set Group to deck name"

Interesting thought: In the Collection, allow for right-click action "Split stack"
Last edited by Scytale on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
MTG studio version: 1.6.6.2461 + updated hfw
Scytale

Postby Scytale » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:27 am

Scytale wrote:
I am saving adding all the 10k+ cards until there is better support for adding cards we preset defaults, e.g. every card comes from my red box.

Gadlord wrote:
Can you explain in details how you expect this feature to work?

My dilemma is that I started using MTGS as a Deck tool. I now have about of my 1000 cards all listed under different Deck files. I also have about another 8-9k cards in storage boxes.

Given the expanded support in the Collection, I find myself wanting to work more and more out of the Collection and less out of Decks. The remaining issue are twofold:

1) How to import Deck files into the Collection
2) The ability to set defaults on any card added to the Collection

WRT #2
I would envisage a set of fields between the Card Pool and Collection where any of the non-fixed values (fixed being name, edition etc) values can be set, e.g. Storage = My Red Box, Desired = Not Needed, Note = Card Pool (I use Note field as the Deck field atm).

Every time I add a card from the Card Pool to the Collection, it is automatically assigned the default values.
MTG studio version: 1.6.6.2461 + updated hfw
Scytale

Postby Gandalf » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:38 am

Yesterday I gave MTG Studio another try. I had tried it years ago, but it lacked some features which are now available, however I still noted something missing which I consider to be most important.

I cannot use the search features to search ONLY in my collection.

Usually when Im deckbuilding I want to be able to look for a card with a certain ability, and I want to look in my collection first to see if I own sucha a card, If I dont, then I can look in all cards and consider buying it.

I think this must be fairly simple to implement.

Thanks!
Gandalf
Apprentice

Postby gaddlord » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:20 am

I cannot use the search features to search ONLY in my collection

Since MTG Studio 1.6.8 you can do that.
GET LATEST STABLE http://www.mtgstudio.com/download.aspx
Send feature requests and bugs to gaddlord@mtgstudio.com or vote online.
gaddlord
MTG Studio Team
MTG Studio Team

Re: Actions for any Collection

Postby dhoom » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:05 am

Will we be able to search the collection with the abilities tab like we can with the card pool?
dhoom
dhoom
Apprentice

Return to Collection Suggestions (MTG Studio)